Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Judder

sjf

HI all,

I started to noticed when driving that my lexus is200 has a slight judder in the steering wheel when braking..also i can feel it in the brake pedal...

I can only feel it when braking heavy

A) does this mean i need new front Discs and pads?

B) i've been looking on the prolex-uk site and are thinking of buying the Mintex IS Front brake discs & Mintex IS Front brake pads...are these ok?

Cheers

Steve

Probably warped discs, but

I had this with mine, found that when braking hard from high speeds, it juddered and "moaned". On the front calipers there are two pistons that push the pads onto the disc. On mine the top one was being pushed out when the brakes were applied, but was not sucking back a bit when I took me foot off, thus the brake was actually binding a bit, but only on the top half which caused the pad to judder against the disc, and not enough to pull.

I freed it by levering it back in and pressing the peddle again and again for 20 minutes,Its been fine since.

You could check this as your brake/wheel will become very hot, and on a very slight slope you will not roll and the brake will grab just a bit.

It probably is warped discs though, but worth checking before you spend a load of cash.

I had this with mine, found that when braking hard from high speeds, it juddered and "moaned".  On the front calipers there are two pistons that push the pads onto the disc. On mine the top one was being pushed out when the brakes were applied, but was not sucking back a bit when I took me foot off, thus the brake was actually binding a bit, but only on the top half which caused the pad to judder against the disc, and not enough to pull.

I freed it by levering it back in and pressing the peddle again and again for 20 minutes,Its been fine since.

You could check this as your brake/wheel will become very hot, and on a very slight slope you will not roll and the brake will grab just a bit.

It probably is warped discs though, but worth checking before you spend a load of cash.

I had that happen 1/2 way between home and Scotland, the point of no return! so made the decision to carry on North. Wrecked the pads and disk but result would have been the same had I gone home. But what do you do in the middle of the night?

Early signs were juddering under braking with no pulling so thought it was a warped disk so decided to ignore and get it fixed after my trip. Never found out if the disk was warped but the problem was the caliper sticking on the guide pins.

Yeh, I ignored it, but then washed the car just after a long journey, they must have been almost on fire, when the water hit the caliper the whole area around the car disappeared in steam - I was very concerned to say the least (being polite) - not being polite - I s**t myself.

I went to Ayr the other week up the A76 and them some B roads, put it through its paces, did about minus 20 mpg, but it was great. great county great roads, but definately would not want to get stuck in the middle of the night with no street lights, no moon and no signal - and the possibility of Scottish werewolfs.

I had this with mine, found that when braking hard from high speeds, it juddered and "moaned".  On the front calipers there are two pistons that push the pads onto the disc. On mine the top one was being pushed out when the brakes were applied, but was not sucking back a bit when I took me foot off, thus the brake was actually binding a bit, but only on the top half which caused the pad to judder against the disc, and not enough to pull.

Had exactly the same on mine (mind you the disks were well below min depth neway lol). Fitted new disks and pads and did the same as crazylex to free the piston......hence no judder anymore. Completely gone.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links