Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Radio

hey guys,

ive just fitted my new radio an thought i would show it off a bit

DSCF1270.jpg

DSCF1267.jpg

heres one that might be usefull if someone is thinking of pulling there dash appart

DSCF1266.jpg

only problem i have is a very poor signal, the car came with another aftermarket radio fitted witch also had a bad signal. is there a booster on the standard radio or is there a amplifyer somewhere else in the car?

any help would be appreciated

:offtopic: top forum by the way

Looks nice - is that the facia adapter from eBay?

I'm just about to do something similar, so let us know if you find the problem, as I'd rather not fit everything then find the signal is rubbish.

I know that the IS200 SE and Sport versions (but not the S) have an amplifier built in behind the glovebox, but I wouldn't have thought that it was used to boost the aerial signal.

Best wait for the experts to reply though as they will know more than me!

My old A4 had this problem after my Sony MEX 100NV was fitted - the OEM Stereo (Audi Concert II) had an in built booster, but the Sony didn't. I had to get an AE signal booster, the installer chanrged me £14.99 for it, I then realised I could get one from Maplin for £a lot less

:iraqi-info-minister: :tsktsk:

Try your local car elec's place....or HERE - this is exactly the same type used on my Audi!!

BTW - that looks a like good job... :blush:

Have you got a proper aerial (bee sting) or one of the short rubber coated ones....

I have one of the rubber coated ones and have crap reception form the radio all the time, it depends on which way the car is heading at times, Ok in the city were signal is strong...

I was thinking of getting one of the proper bee sting aerials but if they are no better it would be good to know beforehand..

BTW reception was the same with the orignal headunit as with the replacement pioneer i fitted......

Looks nice - is that the facia adapter from EBay?

I'm just about to do something similar, so let us know if you find the problem, as I'd rather not fit everything then find the signal is rubbish.

I know that the IS200 SE and Sport versions (but not the S) have an amplifier built in behind the glovebox, but I wouldn't have thought that it was used to boost the aerial signal.

Best wait for the experts to reply though as they will know more than me!

On my SC, there is a separate power amp to the left of the glove box. There are only balanced preamp signals coming to this from the radio head. The radio head also outputs a sub woofer signal which goes to the back of the car and is also a preamp signal, the power amp is in the subwoofer module. All this makes it a bit messy to install a new radio. You can't just get a DIN cable adaptor.

I installed an H-B radio from Ebuyer, MP3 CD, SD card,USB and line in. I used one of the eBay kits, bit flimsy since it's all plastic but it went in OK. I removed the power amp. Not easy where it is but you can, with the right tools, get at the bolts. If you haven't got the right tools be very wary, there is a lot of important wiring around there!

Then I piggy-backed soldered in new speaker leads for the 4 main speaker modules on to the original connectors, ignoring the subwoofer set up. This works fine, bass is entirely adequate in my view. But then I am a mature person and have no wish to offend the ears of innocent passers-by!. The radio aerial plugged straight in, and the new radio is more sensitive RF-wise than the rather poor original...

( I got the colour coding for the power amp connectors from a post on the US www.my.is site, it's the same on my UK car.)

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys,

ive just fitted my new radio an thought i would show it off a bit

DSCF1270.jpg

DSCF1267.jpg

heres one that might be usefull if someone is thinking of pulling there dash appart

DSCF1266.jpg

only problem i have is a very poor signal, the car came with another aftermarket radio fitted witch also had a bad signal. is there a booster on the standard radio or is there a amplifyer somewhere else in the car?

any help would be appreciated

:offtopic: top forum by the way

Nice you got the glide bar thingy i was looking at them got a sligthly different one in the end.

I had crap signal but i changed my aerial for the older one i had and now its amazing get signal where ever i go it looks a bit crap but dont really care cos i get radio 1 even on the A23 which is kinda unheard of as is a big black spot for signal

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links