Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Test Fit Of Single Din Unit In Mk1 Gs300

Spent a bit of time messing about with the fascia panel and cubbie hole that I got from the Toyota parts department. In the absence of what appears to be any official stereo mounts to go with the panel, I ended up hack sawing one of the side brackets for the factory unit and using pieces of wood to fix everything together. The odd thing with the fascia panel is that the opening is not wide enough to cater for the single din standard trim plate (that clips on the front of the stereo to fisnish it off). his seemed a bit odd and meant a bit of triming was required for that also. The wooden brackets don't look pretty it has to be said, but the overall effect once bolted into the car looked not to bad I thought. Any comments/suggestions gratefully received.

The fascia plate (or instrument panel as toyota parts call it). Apart from the fact I cannot seem to find one of the autoleads fascia kits for a right hand drive Mk1 GS, the main advantage of the Totyota part is that the finish is an exact match for the factory finish on other parts of the centre console. The major disadvantge is that there appears to be no eas way to fit the fascia plate.

panelfront.jpg

and the Radio cover, aka cubby hole, oddment tray, blah blah

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

After a bit of hacking about, this is the prelim fit to see how it all looks before finishing off, and the task of bypassing the amp starts.

radio1.jpg

radio2.jpg

radio3.jpg

:lol: @ Wozza

Chris, The stereo is just my old Sony XR-M510. Nothing special but I like the black panel look when all closed up and switched off, plus I have the ipod interface for it which is the main reason I want to get it up and running. No idea how it woill sound with the factory speakers until I try it, so may have to change those, but the Vibe sub will help fill the sound out a bit.

:lol: @ Wozza

Chris, The stereo is just my old Sony XR-M510. Nothing special but I like the black panel look when all closed up and switched off, plus I have the ipod interface for it which is the main reason I want to get it up and running. No idea how it woill sound with the factory speakers until I try it, so may have to change those, but the Vibe sub will help fill the sound out a bit.

Looks very good mate quite like how it looks all black when switched off very stealth looking :winky:

Decided to bite the bullet and take the wire cutters to the factory wiring. The amp and CD changer are now in the shed, and the Sony unit is playing through the factory loom no problems with my ipod hooked into it. Only thing I haven't done yet is the antenna, will do that in the morning. Vibe sub is working too although I need to take the factory sub out which should give some sound flow through into the cabin. Something is vibrating like :tsktsk: as well when the sub is working hard so need to find that too. All in all, even with the sub turned off, the sound is 1000 times better than the factory unit, I'm quite impressed how much bass even the standard door speakers can kick out.

I'll put up the wiring colour coding and what I joined to what later on.

Decided to bite the bullet and take the wire cutters to the factory wiring. The amp and CD changer are now in the shed, and the Sony unit is playing through the factory loom no problems with my ipod hooked into it. Only thing I haven't done yet is the antenna, will do that in the morning. Vibe sub is working too although I need to take the factory sub out which should give some sound flow through into the cabin. Something is vibrating like :tsktsk: as well when the sub is working hard so need to find that too. All in all, even with the sub turned off, the sound is 1000 times better than the factory unit, I'm quite impressed how much bass even the standard door speakers can kick out.

I'll put up the wiring colour coding and what I joined to what later on.

Hi there,

looks like a great job mate.. and at the end of the day what isn't visible, so long as its strong doesnt matter in my book.

Do you have the part number for the toyota facia? i think i may go down the same route myself.

But does look good...

rgds,

Nick

Hi there,

looks like a great job mate.. and at the end of the day what isn't visible, so long as its strong doesnt matter in my book.

Do you have the part number for the toyota facia? i think i may go down the same route myself.

But does look good...

rgds,

Nick

Instrument Panel - Part No 55412-30430 (fascia plate) about £15 + vat I think.

Radio Cover - Part No 55521-32011 (cubbie hole) around £23 + vat or there abouts.

Cheers

Rick

Hi there,

But does look good...

rgds,

Nick

Radio Cover - Part No 55521-32011 (cubbie hole) around £23 + vat or there abouts.

Cheers

Rick

did you order the parts through chris or your local dealer

Cheers

Rick

did you order the parts through chris or your local dealer

I just went to my local Toyota dealer on Pride park, only a couple of minutes away so was easy enough. Tight arses wouldn't give me the LOC discount though :lol:

Hi there,

But does look good...

rgds,

Nick

Cheers

Rick

Top man.. thanks for that!

could you fit a double DIN headunit in the facia

Yup, if you just get the fascia and don't bother with the radio cover (aka cubbie hole). The hard part is fixing the stuff. The aperture doesn't line up with the factory unit mounting plates from the factory head unit, so you can't just slot the new unit in. I had to cut one of the side brackets, so that there was still a bolt to hold the unit in place on one side of the aircon unit. Then do the wood work to screw it all together. Not pretty but it does the job and it isn't gonna go anywhere in a hurry.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring up an oldish thread...

Would this panel be the same for a MK2 GS? cant imagine the sterios are too much different?

The LCD display (about 20%) is starting to go in my screen and im fancying a bit more bass to the system so this is the starting point.

Only want to take it out if i can get a full OEM look to the dash.

Looking good on yours from what i can see

This is what i want to put in... not too garish and plenty of what i want

b_fhp80bt.jpg

Double-Din Bluetooth Tuner with USB-in and iPod Direct Control - Double the size; many times the entertainment.

Play, talk, listen. The double-din Pioneer FH-P80BT is your communication and entertainment hub. Make and receive calls wirelesslyMake and receive calls wirelessly, as well as stream music: the FH-P80BT supports both ‘hands-free’ and ‘audio’ profiles from your mobile phone. This means that you don’t need any additional in-car kits, cradles, wires or headsets.

The FH-P80BT will play your entire music collection as well, supporting every audio file format. Hook up your iPod, USB music source or portable audio player, and control them directly from the CD Tuner. You can control this CD Tuner with its ‘Rotary Commander’, which works very much like a joystick - essential for navigating through your WMA, MP3 and iTunes audio files. The FH-P80BT also has 3 RCA pre-outs, so you can boost your in-car set-up with additional amplifiers, subwoofers and speakers.

Whichever audio format you play, and however you build your in-car setup, you can be assured of high quality, pure audio, customised to your needs. The FH-P80BT has a 7-band graphic equaliser

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-fh...78ff116ffe84a0d

I don't think this exact panel will fit the Mk2, as the Mk2 Autoleads one doesn't fit the Mk1. However, I do believe there is a genuine toyota surround like this one available for the Mk2 so the toyota dealer should be able to find it. Maybe use the part number I listed to help them in their quest as the parts guy claimed not to do anything for an aristo when I was in there. Came as quite a surprise to him when he realised I knew what I was talking about :lol:

p.s. That is a pretty cool looking stereo, first one I've seen I would quite like if I was to update my old one. I like the flat dark look with out knobs and dials sticking out all over the place or funny shaped fascias.

cheers fella,

i have to say its definately the first one i have liked, had a touch screen double din before and just didnt like having the extra brightness.

This one looks like it could be OEM sort of fitment on a new car, plus having the handsfree build in plus the ability to stream audio from your mobile is excellent, combined with 3 x rca and graphic equaliser etc... couldnt ask for more... £225 :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links