Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Really Confused About The Is220

Hi, im looking at buying a IS220D in the next month, and to be honest i just guessed that it would the the essence of reliability. But after reading reviews on parkers and some other reviews there seems to be alot of unhappy people with the car and its reliability? About 5th injectors, rattling, cat convertors failing? total brake downs silly low mpg?

Is this a case of all the happy customers been quiet and just the unhappy voicing there opinions or are there some issues with this car and engine? Something is that confuses me is my friend had some for 18 months and did 60,000 miles on it without one single problem and had a combined figure of 44mpg over those 60,000 miles. So was he just lucky? Please let me know the reality of the situation as I love these cars, i love the look inside and out and really want one :)

So is this just a small percentage that this happens to or is this a common thing?

thanks Dean

If you prefer diesel and manual gear box, its one of the best cars on its class.

There have been some head gasket and piston ring issues, but actually its not so common. Mostly fixed with warranty.

I know a lot of people who are very happy with this car, but those few who are not, seem to make too much noise.

• 1 month later...

I have a 220d and have had a few snags its fair to say. There are snags in all marques... not just Lexus.

I get 38/40 mpg on my daily run and 54 on a decent run. Engine is very good, maybe gearbox and ratios not so brill. Its Ok for my needs though. On a journey I find it brilliant. Leaves my old is200 in the dust every time.

If I was you I'd read over the posts relating to Head Gasket Issues and EGR valve cleaning.

Check out any potential purchase very carefully. You want a FULL LEXUS HISTORY, certainly up to 110,000 miles in my opinion. Ask what recall work has been done, Lexus can help you with this. Find out if it has had a new engine block fitted under warranty, and when.

Just remember the old maxim.... BUYER BEWARE. Incidentally, that applies to any make of car.

Noone??? Basically all i want to know is has the IS220d got a good or bad engine? Thanks Dean

Hiya, I have put one or two threads on this forum in the last few months. I too was a bit concerened with some of the adverse comments that I read, hence my starting the following thread (have a look at it)http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=76569 and in particular the last post that I made on it.

The 220d is a super car and I really enjoy driving mine. When I was looking to buy my first Lexus, one or two people pointed my in the direction of the IS250 and on relection I wish that I had purchased one as I have always wanted a six cylinder car. Initially I was put off by the power mpg but with my circumstances changing somewhat It is possible that I may be in a position to change my car later this year and am really interested in either the IS 250 or the GS300. You might like to give some thoughts to the IS250 but, if you choose to get the 220d and it's a good one I'm sure that you will be pleased with it. Mine is a 57 plate and it is absolutely imaculate

Thanks for the replies, does the engine block replacements have anything to do with the head gaskets and is it advised i find one that has been done?

I cant believe how dirty the EGR valve is

Yes, it is totally connected to the Head Gasket issues.

The HG issue will almost definitely lead to the engine block being replaced. This is warranted by Lexus up to 107,000 miles or 7 years.

Personally, I would find one that had been done. Seriously, go back through the posts and read all the comments....you will learn much.....i did and it paid off big time for me.

EGR...clean it regularly whether you have a Lexus, Audi, BMW, Alfa or whatever. It is quite an easy operation to do. Once you have done it you can crack it down to a 30 min task.

Hi, im looking at buying a IS220D in the next month, and to be honest i just guessed that it would the the essence of reliability. But after reading reviews on parkers and some other reviews there seems to be alot of unhappy people with the car and its reliability? About 5th injectors, rattling, cat convertors failing? total brake downs silly low mpg?

Is this a case of all the happy customers been quiet and just the unhappy voicing there opinions or are there some issues with this car and engine? Something is that confuses me is my friend had some for 18 months and did 60,000 miles on it without one single problem and had a combined figure of 44mpg over those 60,000 miles. So was he just lucky? Please let me know the reality of the situation as I love these cars, i love the look inside and out and really want one :)

So is this just a small percentage that this happens to or is this a common thing?

thanks Dean

To be honest, the IS220D isn't a bad car. The trouble is that it is always open to comparison to the IS250 - particularly Auto - which really is a very good car - better in every conceivable way except mpg. As a personal view, it is a similar situation to decaffeinated coffee: Like the real thing but with the best of it taken out.

In terms of reliabilty it certainly seems that the IS220D does not suit occasional use & just shortish town journeys - but if you were only doing these you would not need to be considering the IS220D.

• 2 weeks later...

I swapped over from diesel to IS250 mainly because I got fed up of the gearbox. The ratios are odd and there is no point in having 6th gear at all. To drive the car was a pleasure in some ways - for a diesel it revs well. In fact you have to keep the revs up to get the performance because low down torque is poor. This rather ruins the point of having a diesel. It is reasonably quiet once you get up to cruising speed. On a motorway the economy can be good but fuel consumption is no better overall than a lot of petrol engines and round town it really isn't great. Mix that with the weird gearbox and this isn't a fantastic town car. Mine had an intermittent smell of diesel in the cabin but I could never pin down the cause. Plus there is a constant vibro massage from the motor, comes through the pedals and the seats.

The IS250 is a totally different beast. The economy isn't good but it's fair enough from a 2.5L 6 cylinder auto. If your mileage is below average, which mine is nowadays, this doesn't matter as much as you think it would, especially with the diesel/petrol price gap. Certainly it is a far easier and much quieter car to drive in all circumstances. The handling is just as good as the 220d but the whole experience feels more relaxed. Like any car there are issues that need to be considered when buying used but compared to the 220d the evidence in LOC members' posts points to it being more reliable.

In the end you pays yer money and makes yer choice. Diesels are cheaper so you can get more goodies for your cash. It just depends on what your priorities are.

I too am looking at buying an IS220 Diesel. I previously had an IS200 which was brilliant but had to change it when my job moved and my commute is now 80 miles per day. The petrol IS200 was costing me far too much on fuel every month with it only getting 27mpg. I now have an '05' plate Civic which is ultra-reliable, but so incredibly boring. I am currently looking at a 2007 '57' plate with 40k and full Lexus dealer history. What warranty do Lexus offer on the following items :

1. Head Gasket
  2. 5th Injector
  3. Block
  4. EGR Valve
  5. Interior Rattles

Thanks,

Kenny

I would ask this directly at a Lexus garage.

The Head Gasket/Block is allegedly covered to 110,00 miles or 7years. Mine was. But I had full Lexus history with 6 stamps in the book.

Any car that you are interested in; go to Lexus with the info and ask to see the history of what has been done. They have access to do this, so don't accept "we can't get that info". They can, I have seen it done and got my own info this way... all printed out.

EGR and 5th injector have both been the subject of recalls. But, like all these issues check on each vehicle individually.

Brake calipers, flakey alloys have been recalls too. Dash rattles to a lesser degree. Higher the mileage the less likely Lexus are likely to respond. The "Crack" sound is a known issue and should get sorted if you kick up enough. I found it bloody irritating and got it sorted amongst other isues as a "gesture" of goodwill.It is something to do with plastis membranes expanding at different rates as the car warms up.. but it goes off with a hell of a bang.... just like a stone has hit the windscreen.

The service history should reveal all.

Once you know where you stand on these issues you can make a decision.

Then, clean the EGR at regular intervals (8 - 10,000 miles depending on lengths of regular journeys) it is really quite easy. Consider also the use of BG244 every 8K miles and the regular use of an additive such as AR6200. These will help reduce the clogging effect of carbon and prolong the efficiency of the engine and filtering system. This is applicable to all makes of diesel engine.. not just Lexus.

Many thanks for your advice. I have been reading lots of mixed reviews about the 220. I am no race driver so fast, away from the lights performance is not an issue to me. 70% of my time is spent on the motorway at 70-80mph. I do about 450miles per week. My reading suggests that a lot of short round town journeys don't work well with the car. As I previously mentioned, I am looking at a 2007 '57' IS220d SE. It only has 40k and a full Lexus service history. I am buying it from a private seller and plan to get the AA or RAC to do a full inspection. With me buying privately, I assume this makes no difference to warranty issues as long as I continue to have it serviced at the Lexus dealer?

Many thanks for your advice. I have been reading lots of mixed reviews about the 220. I am no race driver so fast, away from the lights performance is not an issue to me. 70% of my time is spent on the motorway at 70-80mph. I do about 450miles per week. My reading suggests that a lot of short round town journeys don't work well with the car. As I previously mentioned, I am looking at a 2007 '57' IS220d SE. It only has 40k and a full Lexus service history. I am buying it from a private seller and plan to get the AA or RAC to do a full inspection. With me buying privately, I assume this makes no difference to warranty issues as long as I continue to have it serviced at the Lexus dealer?

Well, all of the boxes are ticked. You might want to look an extended warranty purchase. Do ask your Lexus garage if they can show you its service history. Some lexus dealers are brill at this, others are utter rubbish. My local dealership (Poole) were excellent and even got my history from other dealers where the car had been serviced 4 times!!

Clean the EGR valve yourself, it's easy to do if you are at all mechanically competent. If you can change a Battery you can do this. Use something like BG244 additive every 8k miles to help keep everything clean and consider also the use of AR6200 archoil diesel additive to help with gum, soot etc removal. Personally, I think they prove their worth.

My around town and trip to work ( which is quite hilly) mpg is around 39 - 42. Currently showing 42.8

On a trip I can get 52 - 54 mpg using 5th gear and cruise control and hovering around 75mph. On a trip, I have to say it is a splendidly comfortable car.

I was lucky to get 26 and 34 out of my is200 sport!

The only issue I have with this car is

1. A ridiculous 6th gear you will never get to use unless you are doing 85+ on the autobahn

2. A quirky gear box ratio, that I have adapted to over time. The drive train link up is where the designers cocked up on this model.

Just remember, you have a turbo to boot you along really quite rapidly. But this comes at a fuel cost if you are heavy footed!!

Ask the current owner if there has been any recall/warrranty work done. Has the head gasket failed at any time?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links