Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

I thought id share my Lexus story with you guys, I bought a Is220 SE-L 2007 from Stockport Lexus in October. No issues for the first month except getting around 30MPG which I wasn’t bothered about as I was giving the car a little more throttle than I usually would (showing off to passengers mainly) Then in November whilst cruising along at 80 on the Motorway it went into crawl mode and I limped back to Lexus Bradford, something had got in the particular filer and within an hour or so I was back on my travels after a quick valet FOC.. impressed I’m thinking although still a little miffed that something had gone wrong within 2 months.. this had me trawling Lexus forums to find out if it’s a common fault.

2 weeks ago I notice that when I’m in cruise control doing 55mph in 5th I get a juddering and the rev needle bounces about a bit so decide on Friday gone to take it back in to Lexus since I have a year’s warranty.. I explain the problem and the fact I’m getting around 32-34mpg to work and back (25 miles 70% motorway).. They agree to have a look although suggest that mpg is normal for this model. I get a call back a few hours later telling me that there is indeed some work needing carrying out, the bloody head gaskets gone plus the flywheel/clutch is vibrating a little.. Don’t worry I’m told Lexus have agreed under the manufacturer’s warranty to install a brand new engine!!

So they’ve put me in a CT200h premier/prestige? For a few weeks whilst the works carried out, they can keep my 220 I’ll have the CT lol

I’m a bit gutted I’m having these problems but can’t fault Lexus Bradford they’ve been superb, and I’m told a new engine will probably increase the value of the car and I might now get a better MPG, fingers crossed.

Hello,welcome to the LOC and for taking the time make this post.

The IS220d has a bit of a reputation for major engine problems and Lexus have even extended the warranty period due to this.

This was the 1st and will probably be the last attempt by Lexus to produce a diesel model to compete with other manufacturers and from reports has been rather a disaster.

The problem apparently results from the Head Gasket moving between the head and block!

If you read through the topics related to this you will even find owners having the problem reoccur.

From a balanced point of view there are also owners who have never had a problem although it is difficult to determine a percentage from total sales.

Dual Mass Flywheels are also a common failure point but not limited just to Lexus, another situation where new technology itself creates problems and expense.

Ever thought about an IS250? :D

Sorry to hear of your problems....all too common, sad to say. I had the same on mine.

On the upside...glad it occurred before your 1st year warranty had expired!! The car should be so much better when its all done. I used to get 39 around town and up to 54 on a good run. Once sorted it should not happen again. Have heard of a couple of instances of re-ocurrence but dont know under what circumstances. The new short engine 'should' be the modified type which should not then fail.

Thanks Steve

The dealer tells me that the new engine which is going in doesn’t suffer from the same Head gasket issues and therefore won’t have the same extended warranty, does that ring true?

Yeah i thought about the 250 but the 220 was stretching my budget already L

Sorry to hear of your problems....all too common, sad to say. I had the same on mine.

On the upside...glad it occurred before your 1st year warranty had expired!! The car should be so much better when its all done. I used to get 39 around town and up to 54 on a good run. Once sorted it should not happen again. Have heard of a couple of instances of re-ocurrence but dont know under what circumstances. The new short engine 'should' be the modified type which should not then fail.

Yeah i've since read quite a few threads on the same problem, I believe he did say it's the modded engine going in.

Do read up about cleaning the EGR valve...quite simple if you are only a little handy with tools. Have a read about using Bardahl, AR 6400 or BG244 products with a view to keeping the system clean...it will pay you to!!

Having got a nice new engine you want to keep it all tikkety boo!

My son has mine now and has put 28,000 mls on the clock since the rebuild. Thus far no probs (he says nervously touching any wooden items around) and hoping it stays that way.

This motor needs to be doing biggish mileages and getting good and hot. It does not like short runs.

I have read all about the EGR valve, in fact i think i've read everypost you've made in the last 6 months ;)

I asked Lexus to clean the EGR valve which they agreed to do before they said it needed a new engine. i didn't want to do it myself as i read a post on here where someone did it wrong and his car wouldnt start..im not the machnic type to say the least...

I will be using BG244, Glad your sons is still going strong.

And thats the same year and colour as my old 220, looks like Cadoxton Slate metallic!

Its is, i think the white of the snow im stuck on really brings out the colour :)

So the Dealer has just called me asking if i want them to carry out some 'other' work whilst they are fitting the new engine.

The main one being that the radiator has a fracture - £300 i think he said for a new one, i have an extended warranty until October so this should be covered shouldn't it? Also is it not possible that the fracture would have been caused by the head gasket going?

The front bushes need replacing (split), i told him to speak with the Warranty people and see if they are covered first. Do you think they would be?

Head gasket failure can result in the cooling system being over pressurised and therefore something as flimsy as a radiator core could fail as a result.

I would certainly be dubious if it was suggested it was a seperate issue.

As for the bushes it depends on the warranty company, some are very good others will consider suspension items as "wear and tear"

If you are faced with a repair bill for them perhaps you could ask Lexus to perform the work at a discounted rate for all that "inconvenience and distress" a failed engine has caused. :winky:

They actually offered to fit the radiator FOC, im not sure if the cost of the bushes was with labour or not. i'm still waiting on them coming back to me after they have spoke with the warranty company.

The trim below the glovebox had fallen down also (broken clip maybe), my friend's size 13's have no doubt done this damage, Lexus say £120 to fix this i say £5 for some double sided sticky tape! I'm starting to think buying a Lexus was a bad idea :(

It's the Lexus way to replace everything rather than repair it.

My passenger door lock motor failed on my LS, Lexus would have replaced the whole lock assembly, me I took the thing to pieces and replaced just the faulty part, the motor.

Which front bushes are being replaced?

So im starting to see and that’s fine by me if its at their expense.

The anti roll bar bushes as far as i could gather, i was at work when they called and it was difficult to hear the guy.

Dont know that offering to fit the rad free means much in reality.

I was told the whole lot is removed to do the work on the engine anyhow. Its an engine completely out of car situation.

If the HG has gone, as Steve said, it could very likely screw the rad anyway.

Yeah its a brand new engine going in so yeah you're right not much of an offer! I feel a little more confident now to negotiate with them so thanks Steve and Normski.

Just had a good phone call, they have agreed to put in a new radiator and clutch under the warranty, just watiing to see if they can get the anti roll bushes in under the warranty as well now which they think they will.

• New engine
  • New clutch
  • New Radiator

It will be like a brand new car :driving:

i gotta admint reading some of these horror stories almost stopped be buying my 07 220 se last year, but i did anyway and i have to say i think i have been lucky. i love the car love the leather bum warmers/coolers and the rest of the comfort. i had only one hiccup when just before xmas last year the clutch pedal was sticking down so Lexus replaced the master cylinder and on inspection the changed a caliper too all FOC. i gotta admit though no matter how i drive i cant break above 35mpg! although i dont do alot of long journeys i only do about 6k a year :D

anyway tommorrow im picking up a 59 plate 220 se-1 with some18inch 5 spokes (lexus branded). :D and its cheaper tax !!!!

well like i said i had the 07 220dse for 12 months and apart from the 30-35 mpg its been pretty solid, thats why im going back to lexus tommorow. its the best car i have ever had and im hoping the 59 plate model just as good if not better . jsut a shame that theres no Bluetooth phone accessories

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links