Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are any handheld readers able to cover different car makes? Ie laser 5091 type things?

Want a fairly decent (better than the 30 quid eBay lump of junk that hasn't found anything on anything other than a 98 slk lol) one that doesn't break bank. Not after a Bluetooth carly type, or laptop job, just a handheld that can cover the bmw e53 x5 and my lexus, plus future motors.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Will do, but not overly handy to keep in boot, especially as the boots so small lol, plus I'd not have software for all makes, hence looking for none vehicle specific handheld as a quick and dirty tool for on the fly.

Are you after one that does not need engine light on. I own a couple a £30.00 one for when engine light on. And a foxwell 644 which does every car

you can name, comes with 4 gig of memory. Does airbags and the like, electronic brake rewind very handy but not cheap.Does not require engine light on.

3 hours ago, Upex said:

Will do, but not overly handy to keep in boot, especially as the boots so small lol, plus I'd not have software for all makes, hence looking for none vehicle specific handheld as a quick and dirty tool for on the fly.

I must learn to read the whole post before replying. :)

• Like 1

Madasahatter, not sure what you mean by needing light on or off, but guess I mean off, ie I can plug it in and read codes, even if no warning lights on?

Not overly concerned about airbags and the like, but to read and clear codes across different brands of car is the main bit, other stuff a bonus

both the sub £30 units i have, have worked no problem on every car I've tried them on (except pre-2000 GS300's), with or without the EML/CEL being lit. And both display some live data points if that kind of things floats your boat. One unit only gives the generic codes/descriptions, the other you select the car make, and it shows the full manufacturer specific description.

6 hours ago, TigerFish said:

both the sub £30 units i have, have worked no problem on every car I've tried them on (except pre-2000 GS300's), with or without the EML/CEL being lit. And both display some live data points if that kind of things floats your boat. One unit only gives the generic codes/descriptions, the other you select the car make, and it shows the full manufacturer specific description.

Give us a clue as to which units they are tiger fish? I'm keen to have one that has descriptions, rather than a lookup book.

Also, if these sub 30 quids can do this, what's the difference between those and units in the hundreds, like the drapers and innova or whateverwhatever are seems very popular on Web article? I only quote the draper as  have to in local Machine mart.

Give us a clue as to which units they are tiger fish? I'm keen to have one that has descriptions, rather than a lookup book.

Also, if these sub 30 quids can do this, what's the difference between those and units in the hundreds, like the drapers and innova or whateverwhatever are seems very popular on Web article? I only quote the draper as  have to in local Machine mart.

I'll dig out the details when I get home.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Cheers tigerfish.

Got a Bluetooth one today to try the torque app, still no codes, new old or pending, so either my reader is fine and there are no codes, or both are junk lol

The one I have is this one, where you dial in the manufacturer. Mine is the 2011 version, so shows how long I've had it, works like a champ.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Fault-Code-Reader-OBD2-EOBD-CAN-BUS-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-D900-/222442801514?hash=item33ca9fc96a:g:eOsAAOSwdGFYzAMH

the other one is this one, not so funky on the OBD stuff, but I bought it to do VAG cars to keep in the glove box of my Corrado VR6 (for full on ECU readouts on the Corrado/VAG cars, I've got the Ross Tech Vagcom cable/software on my laptop)....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vgate-VS450-VAG-CAN-OBD2-ABS-Airbag-Immobilizer-Diagnostics-Scan-Tool-ABS-BAG-/252413629143?hash=item3ac50652d7:g:RBYAAOSwnNBXUw9E

Just out of interest, why are you expecting to see codes? As far as I know, temp codes are stored only for a certain number of ignition cycles before being cleared. Persistent codes (where they have occurred often enough to be officially logged as a fault) are stored until they are cleared and the CEL/EML lamp put out. Once cleared, they are gone forever. 1st time I've seen someone be less than ecstatic with no faults being found :)

Thanks tigerfish. I was hoping the old gal would through a code or two to help pin point turbo issues on the wife's x5, before I'm having to fork out a grand for a new turbo. Ie hoped a pressure sensor somewhere could lead me down a different path.

I'll check these out, currently looking how to build a smoke tester, as they very expensive for what they are in my opinion!

Just looked, and that first one is same as I have, but 2015 version. Was fine for about a year, then started coming up saying it's a restricted version and I have to call foreign number or email dodgy looking email address. I didn't bother!

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links