Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d (i Hope You're Sitting Down)

I drive mine the same as my old Audi A4 130PDi -

Audi - Regularly 52-58mpg, even if driven harder than my Lex

IS220d - 40-44mpg per tank...

Driven carefully (i.e. HGV speeds) on a run you can easily top 50mpg in the Lex...my mates A4 170 gets closer to 60mpg!

I know the Lex has many more horses then my old A4, but it's the same as my colleague gets in his new A4 170PDi, so I think it's about right/average for a 170 bhp diesel.

The only thing that I would say is that the gearing on the Audi is much better, and little turbo lag...though it's just as noisy!!

As I mentioned on another post - BMW are launching the 325d, 6 Cyl 194 bhp diesel, and with an auto option, and Lex better start developing a new diesel...with an auto box...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now covered over 6500 miles in my 220d and have yet to better 42mpg for a tankful. Has anyone managed to equal or better the official combined figure of 44.8mpg for a tankful?

I have always beaten the official figures for my Sport (average 42mpg), my current tank says 45 mpg so far (200 miles)

I had the fuel injectors replaced yesterday by Lexus. Apparently the early IS220d (mine is Jan 06) had dodgy injectors which have resulted in poor fuel economy and performance.

The new injectors have definitely improved the performance (pretty good before, but now very nippy in third and fourth gears) but I need to do some more miles before I can make a call on improved fuel economy. The car also seems to have less vibration at 80 mph than before.

Changing out the fuel injectors now seems to be standard for early 220s, as mine is the third that Lexus Poole have now done.

Later 220s have the improved fuel injectors so don't need the mod.

I also had the clunky gearbox mod done but can't say I've noticed any difference whatsoever.

Scott

What were the circumstances leading up to the decision to change your injectors? Was your engine running roughly or your fuel consumption particularly heavy?

I've been complaining to Lexus Poole from day 1 about poor fuel economy, getting mid 30s no matter how I drove, although I did manage a personal best of 42 mpg having driven in sixth gear at 60 mph for about 500 miles :)

I've driven it quite hard today (trying out the improved performance) and after 120 miles I'm averaging 39 mpg which is quite an improvement.

Lexus told me that it's only the early diesels which had these faulty fuel injectors.

Took delivery of my car in January so I am assuming it is one of the early ones. Hope to book the car in for the seatbelt recall next week and will ask about the injectors when the car is in.

I got my injectors done at the same time as the seat belt recall BUT they have to order the injectors in - it took a week or so.

If they want any more info then they need to speak to Richard at Lexus Poole - he's the service manager there.

Took delivery of my car in January so I am assuming it is one of the early ones. Hope to book the car in for the seatbelt recall next week and will ask about the injectors when the car is in.

I got my injectors done at the same time as the seat belt recall BUT they have to order the injectors in - it took a week or so.

If they want any more info then they need to speak to Richard at Lexus Poole - he's the service manager there.

Thanks Scott

The car also seems to have less vibration at 80 mph than before.

That's interesting - hows the mirror - does it still shake?

I'm gonna ask the service manager about mine - you never know...

At least you know now - your car was the Mark 1... :lol:

Mirror shake is much less.

I can't get over how much quicker it is when accelerating, even in second if you catch it right - had a few scary moments since B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links