Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk4 Ls400 Cambelt

sidmon

Just acquired a 2000 'W' reg LS400 with 183k miles and Full Service History. The only issue is there is no evidence of the timing/cam belt having ever been changed, can anyone confirm the period / mileage they should be done at?

We've been looking at getting the timing belt done to be on the safe side and we've seen the kits sold at Euro Car Parts which are made by SKF......anyone got any opinion on the quality of them and the water pumps sold by them? Anything I should be looking out for??

I can't believe the belt has never been changed as it should have been done every 60,000 miles so by now should be on its 4th at 180,000 miles.

Have you looked around the engine compartment for stickers?

It may have been sold because it is ready for the cam belt so I wouldn't delay in getting it done.

Can't comment on the kit you have seen as got mine from the USA but Euro car parts do have a good reputation for OEM quality parts.

When I say there's no evidence the belts "ever" been changed I meant more relaistically there's no evidence it's been done recently.....must have been done at some stage....otherwise it'd be taking Lexus reliability to biblical levels!

Belt failure is rare, there have been reported cases where the belt on inspection has been reduced to half its normal width and the belt covers have been filled with shredded belt but the belt has not actually snapped.

The normal reason for failure is when the tensioner, idler pulleys or water pump fails and this results in the belt either slipping teeth or coming off.

Manufacturers also tend to stretch ( no pun intended) cam belt change intervals in an attempt to sell vehicles with lower maintenance costs but in some cases this has proved an unwise move with premature belt failures occurring.

Always remember the cost of a replacement belt is a lot cheaper and less inconvenient than a wrecked engine!

Well cannot see any signs of change or any stickers reflecting this so I'll get it done. Been quoted £200 labour by our usual mechanic including water pump change with us providing the parts.

Whereabouts are you?

Gas + Go in Swindon are good (despite dodgy sounding name!) Have a Lexus trained mechanic. Charge £150 + parts for belt.

Got mine done there plus service, last month.

And checked car over etc.

Visit the wonderful 'Steam' museum (and Factory outlet!) for the day?

The guy we use is a rusted mechanic and we're in West Mids so not exactly 15 mins up the road but thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure someone else might really appreciate such a good value deal!

I have always thought that 60k miles is for older ls400, the newer one with vvt-i engine the timing belt interval should 90k miles?

Also I have never heard about timing belt failure in ls400, so I assume it is really rare problem.

Hi

Don't kid yourself, Mine went 11000 miles after being replaced for the second time(60000 mile change) on a 120k service because the water pump failed cost me £800 Lexus dealership 8 years ago. Fortunately the engine did not suffer as it had the valve clearance built into the early engines.

I think that dissappeared on the Mark 3.

In hindsight I would have had the tensioners idler and water pump replaced on the 120 belt change as by that time they are quite noisy.

The formula for belt change on the mk1&2 Lexus LS400 is; oil change 6000 belt change times 10.I would change the oil and filter every 6000 miles even on the extended periods for later models as I was once told by a very experienced engineer that an engine will last forever if the oil is doing its job.

Bearing in mind that up to the vti the ls400 engine is virtually the same as when it was first conceived the extensions to service periods came about with oil manufacturers reccomendations and improvements in the oil itself.

Thanks for advice ambermarine, one of my fears have been that timing belt goes because fixing that vvt-i engine will seriously expensive to do, at least for you valves were not bent.

I actually cannot understand why Lexus v8 does not have chain fitted.

For the oil, using good quality oil and Toyota filters if possible will keep the engine running for long time. Oil filters are something that I usually would prefer to buy original parts.

I have ordered already Skf timing belt kit and I have to buy water pump somewhere as well, then it is time to do the belt, 154k miles and no service history so better to change it soon than later.

Thanks for advice ambermarine, one of my fears have been that timing belt goes because fixing that vvt-i engine will seriously expensive to do, at least for you valves were not bent.

I actually cannot understand why Lexus v8 does not have chain fitted.

For the oil, using good quality oil and Toyota filters if possible will keep the engine running for long time. Oil filters are something that I usually would prefer to buy original parts.

I have ordered already Skf timing belt kit and I have to buy water pump somewhere as well, then it is time to do the belt, 154k miles and no service history so better to change it soon than later.

Hi

With regards the water pump it is well worth buying a Lexus /Toyota oem as they come in about £130 the saving on a aftermarket price of roughly 40% is not worth the worry.

I was lucky to pick up a brand new boxed with gasket water pump from Lexus derby in a stores clearout for £28 and I have it for insurance as the pump on mine was fitted less than 50000 ago so on my annual mileage the change is not due for a bit yet.

I have already been through the experience of a failing water pump and as I previously posted on this forum you can here a dicernible whining noise that gets louder as the bearing dies ,I obviously did not know at that time what was causing the unusual noise .Before everybody rushes out to listen to the noise of their engines as I have already said it is distinctive and the outcome when it fails is the engine temprature needle shoots up to maximum and all the coolant boils out of the engine through the expansion tank ,the car may still drive as the shaft connection through the pump may still be in place allowing the cambelt to rotate but it won,t last long and when it finally siezes so the cambelt strips its teeth and the engine dies.

Wow! NOT what you'd want to hear!

Good info!

I guess we should think more about PROPER maintenance of our cars. Things inevitably WILL wear out -when you think that the engine -and bits - whizzes around at thousands of revs per minute, things HAVE to wear!

Sometimes it seems people will spend lots on doing up their houses, but gripe about the cost of keeping the car going!

It cost £50k+, and (stupid/illogical depreciation aside,) should serve you well for years and give good value!

You could try these guys

http://www.suttonautofactors.co.uk/buy-online.php

or Euro car parts.

When I bought my kit from the USA most only had one bearing but I found the kit which had both, I don't understand why most kits are missing a vital replacement part.

Does anyone know the part number for the puley that is missing with the SKF kit and also having spoken to the independent who serviced the vehicle (to see if cambelt had been done) they confirm the vehicle needs a cambelt changed and also the spark plugs doing too. Does anyone know what spark plugs will be best and also where I can get them and some Toyota Red Coolant cheaply from.

Based on the link Steve posted, there seems to be in primary drive (timing belt) one tensioner pulley and one quide pulley and for me it looks that SKF kit has both of them, so I am wondering what is actually missing in the kit,

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/tensioners-and-pulleys-final.php?year=1998&Submit=Next&make=Lexus&model=LS400⊂=&eng=4.0000

Based on that link there seems not to be any more pulleys or tensioners to choose, also it is really confusing that there are two tensioners mentioned, one starting from 09/97- and one starting from 09/98-, I think the SKF kit that I orderded has date 09/98- but what is the difference between those pulleys and why they are two versions for 1998 car?

Does anyone know what spark plugs will be best and also where I can get them and some Toyota Red Coolant cheaply from.

Spark plugs and coolant, I don't think I would go for " cheap " .......... I would go for " correct " and Toyota fluid, well, maybe Toyota is the best place to get that from anyway !

Skimping on essentials such as these might prove a little fatal in the long run.

My plugs will last 60k miles and the correct coolant, well, for a helluva long time I know.

Malc

What brand of plugs are recommended and is there anything else that should be done while the cambelts being done? have read on some US sites about doing the camseals while you're at it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links