Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Swaps.. 3sgte?

gmshroll

Hi chaps..

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new here and everything.. :unsure:

I'm due to take delivery of a nice IS200 Sport Navigator in the next couple of weeks and out of interest (due to being previously involved in the MR2 scene) I was wondering about engine swaps..

I'm not looking to do one myself - the IS is costing me enough as it is, and these things usually end up costing daft amounts of money!

Just curious as to why I've not seen the 3SGTE - the MR2 Turbo/ Celica GT4 engine - as a candidate for a swap.. after all, a variant of its NA brother, the 3SGE, is used in the Altezza... Surely it'd be a *fairly* cheap/easy swap to drop the MR2/Celica engine in there in place of the Altezza lump.. in fact if you bought an Altezza and a revision 3 MR2 turbo and switched the engines you'd have 2 desirable cars...! :winky:

For those who don't know.. the 3SGTE is a strong old engine.. the later ones are quite easy to tune to over 300bhp on standard internals/turbo and beyond with MoTeC and so-on..

Well that's my simple view on the world.. hehe

Cheers,

Graham

Thanks.. I've seen mention of that.. sounds like a bit of an animal.. :)

Must be a bit of a tight squeeze though (bigger bucks required to fit!).. and with the 3SGTE being the same (ish) size as the Altezza's 3SGE, it would seem an obvious choice..

..ok.. I'd prefer the 2JZ.. hehe

ah yes.. a turbo'd vvti... even so (and ignoring everything I know about comparing cars by BHP) £7000 is a LOT to pour into an engine. I would think subtracting the engine swap from that figure, you could attain 400bhp with the remaining money....

...but yes, I'd still rather have the turbo'd vvti...

It should be possible to do an engine swap although it would be better to purchase an Altezza rather than an IS200, as this already uses the 3S-GE engine so there shouldn't be any engine mount problems.

However if you have an Altezza then Blitz do a supercharger and a Turbo upgrade so it's not worth the effort in replacing the engine.

that's a turbo'd Beams (3sge) lump... surely if that's swapped into an IS300 that's the long way round of doing it... (instead of starting with an Altezza) :)

I think a twincharged, separate throttlebodied, big cam'd, GT35R Turbo'd, fat intercooler'd 3sgte would be the one to go for meself.... :)

*starts making imaginary shopping list and shaking piggy bank upside down*

that's a turbo'd Beams (3sge) lump... surely if that's swapped into an IS300 that's the long way round of doing it... (instead of starting with an Altezza) :)

I think a twincharged, separate throttlebodied, big cam'd, GT35R Turbo'd, fat intercooler'd 3sgte would be the one to go for meself.... :)

*starts making imaginary shopping list and shaking piggy bank upside down*

i believe it is a show car in the US so being original is more important than doing something sensible (i.e. just turbocharging the 2Z-GE).

one of the US magzines I get (think it was turbo & high-tech performance) did an article on a project car that they built which was a twin-charged MR2.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links