Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt/tensioner & Idler Change

Mars

Any ideas on what is a reasonable price on getting this done. My car is 12 years old but with only 58,000 miles on the clock. Lexus quoted £731 but will price match (I assume only with other Lexus dealerships).

Well you probably can get it slightly cheaper than your current quote if you try other Lexus dealerships,however you could equally knock about £200 off that if you went independent. As your car is 12 years old is there any point still having it done by a Lexus dealership(apart from wanting to have full Lexus service history etc),which might make it easier to sell coming selling time but does not really add much in terms of value??. Have known and used my independent garage for the last 20 years so not a problem for me(my nearest Lexus dealership is a 50 mile round trip)

For a start I don't know of any reliable independents in my neck of the woods. Secondly I am a creature of habit and Lexus knows this car. I am not concerned about a full Lexus service history or resale value as I have already bucked that trend (one of my services is not with Lexus) and I intend to keep this car until it falls apart. I will start making enquiries.

So my first call to another Lexus dealer and they say they can do the belt and tensioner on a fixed price menu for £395 inclusive of labour and vat. The idler they will not usually do but that will cost an additional £85 and maybe a nominal labour charge. So altogether it is coming in at around £500.

That's a horrific price .....

I had this work done on my 2004 IS200 at the end of 2012 and it cost me £300 from Lexus Chester - I did ask them if their initial quote could be reduced and they did reduce it.

Its the only work on the car that I would insist Lexus carries out - just for piece of mind that the jobs done to spec as a wrongly fitted belt change can damage your engine.

It will be worth your while for a blast up North to get it done

Also its a good idea to get the other belts replaced while they are at it as they need to come off to get to the cam belt - shouldn't cost you any more in labour as they need to put the belts back on, only cost will be for the new belts

It will be worth your while for a blast up North to get it done

Also its a good idea to get the other belts replaced while they are at it as they need to come off to get to the cam belt - shouldn't cost you any more in labour as they need to put the belts back on, only cost will be for the new belts

Certainly not. That would be a 700 mile round trip, a tank of petrol and my time. Latest quote is £480 which is not bad considering you paid £300 two years ago. Still waiting for one more quote which I will get on Monday. Fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

So I had the Timing Belt, Tensioner and Idler done today for £450 as I was a "long standing customer". I telephoned the Dealer negotiated the price dropped off the car and waited for it. All done slightly over 3 hrs as they did a mini valet as well. I asked for the old parts to see what condition they were in but they were not in the car when I returned home. I should get them tomorrow and will report especially on the condition of the belt which was 6yrs old but had very little mileage on it.

Well so much for being safe than sorry. I collected the "old belt", Tensioner and Idler today and the belt is in immaculate condition. No signs of wear at all.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links