Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Looking To Buy 220d But Confused By The Warranty And Egr/dpf

I've owned an IS200 SE for 8 years and loved every second of it. But after 177k and following a £500 MOT estimate before doing a major service and overdue cambelt, it's time to put it out to pasture.

I've always fancied a newer IS and now is the time. I'm looking at 220d's at the moment and reading a lot of horror stories about EGR valves, DPF problems and head gaskets. But also reading about people saying they are having these issues corrected under the 70k 'goodwill' warranty.

The ones that appear to be an issue are 06-08 which is bang on my budget. So it looks like I could have potential issues.

Question really is, what are the terms of this 'goodwill' warranty? i.e can I get a lower mileage FLSH 220d (06-08) with piece of mind that if these issues arise, I can have them corrected under warranty or is the 'goodwill' time limited?

I know that "go for the 250" is the general advice but I'm not sure I can go to that plus they are not overly easy to find for my measly 6k budget.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. This is the first time a warranty has ever factored into one of my cars :)

Thanks in advance.

The extended warranty related to the head gasket was limited to 110,000 mls or 7 years....whichever came first. You also need a FLSH.

You're out of luck on that I'm afraid to say.

Having had a 200 you will, I think, not enjoy the 220d. However that's just my own personal judgement.

Please wait and find a 250 auto...you will not be disappointed.

I had a 200 sport, a 220d and now a 250 auto.

I've had my is220d (2007 Multimedia model) for about 18 months now, initially when i purchased the vehicle, I had the headgasket issue but that got sorted under the Lexus Goodwill warranty. Got a brand spanking new engine. Got the 100k service done at the same time even though vehicle had only 90k on clock as lexus offered to do it for half the price only because it was already on the ramp. I also got them to replace the front brake disc and pads.

Ever since then vehicle has given me no problems, had the dpf issue but that was my own fault started to drive too much in urban areas and not blasting on the motorway once in a while. That was sorted with simple force regeneration via software.

If you do the following you shouldn't have any problems with is220d

1. Shell V power Nitro diesel or BP Premium diesel

2. Use engine oil which is low ash

3. Once every 6 months Wynns professional dpf cleaner (Black bottle with Yellow label NOT the purple crap)

4. Can of BG244 once every 8000 miles or on service

5. 5ml of Archoil AR6200 on every full tank of diesel ( but I put 5ml on every 3rd fill up)

6. Clean the Egr Valve once a year or twice a year depending how you drive.

7. Grease the Front and Rear brake calipers every year (Prone to seizing)

8. Force regenerate dpf through software method. once or twice a year for guaranteed results.

9. During winter times i set off only when engine temp reaches about 40 C (I use Torque Pro software on smartphone and Bluetooth OBD2 connector).. call me weird but in cold weathers diesel engines don't perform well.

I was looking to sell mines in september of this year as i will be getting a company car. I also have the lexus 2 year extended warranty which i took out last year in december 2014. The beauty is it's transferable to new owner which i wasn't aware initially.

Ok thanks. 250 Auto over the manual? Any reason or just a personal preference thing?

250 Auto all day long m8 plus i think the road tax is cheaper aswell compared to the manual

Abdul makes some very sensible points for consideration and I readily agree with what he says. That's pretty much where I was when I had my 220d.

The problem is..you are coming from a straight six 200 petrol... I really don't think you will enjoy the driving experience of the 220. But the proof is in the pudding....so please go and try some. Pay attention to the gearbox and any perceived lag at pull away. The 220, I found, requires a large amount of maintenance and care. If it goes pop it can be very very expensive. Mine went, I was covered, I saw the bill..it was £4600. That is catastrophic for a 06/07 vehicle.

Generally the auto is much less on road tax £280 against(in worst case) £460. However some of the early year 250 manuals qualify for £280 road tax.

Yes i know what you mean on budget as well, i just got mine 56 plate full history just serviced by lexus 1000 miles ago with mot

shes just done over 50,000 miles cost nearly 7000 pounds, but what a well made thing it is super quiet relaxing place to be.

Had a Vrs before this i drive completly different now im chilled out. The Chilled seats are brilliant look out for them.

Thanks all. Made interesting reading.

I have managed to find a fully loaded 250 auto in budget which I am going to look at tonight. Anything to look out for or is it a case of the usual stuff?

Make sure every thing works brakes have no lips on discs, tyres have tread on rears are 245mm not alot to see under bonnet no blowing exhaust, when you open doors should all have a number sticker rear quarters have clear plastic on near sills. all indicate no accident damage other than that take for a drive windows down listen for noises. Buy and enjoy good look matey.

Great, thanks.

If all goes well I may well make the jump to gold membership and show my face at some meets as well.

Another quick question. Do the 250's have the same Tow/Camber issue as the 200's? One major bug bear on my 200 was the rate at which I blew through tyres because of wear on the inside. Admittedly I wasn't putting premium's on every time but the mid range tyres just got chewed up in no time and I'm not that heavy a driver.

What colour is the car cant comment on camber issues not had car long myself, Octavia used to sawtooth but i never saw any.

Have you put it in forum, i looked at issues before buying did not see it mentioned. I know sat navs have issues and expensive to fix,there is not a car

made that does not have faults.

It's an 05 SE-L with Nav, but to be honest I use my phone with CoPilot for SatNav anyway so not over fussed. If the tow/camber issue hasn't come up in any posts you've seen (I haven't seen any either), then I'd imagine it's not the issue it was with the IS200s.

Ahh.....but if its the SEL then it will have the rear blind. Switch down by your right knee.

Jolly useful in the summer and also at night with D**kh***s on full beam or out of alignment.

Also, naturally, very good for keeping roasting hot sun off your rear passengers.

Use mine regularly.

And some!

Loved it as soon as we drove up and when I took it down the road, I was gonna buy it, no doubt.

It was a pretty sunny evening as well and had no issue with reflection that I noticed, but the rear shade looks as though it'll do the trick if it becomes a problem. I find the screen a little fiddly to get around at the moment but that'll come in due course. Everything seems bang on in terms of what it should do, there certainly wasn't anything glaringly obvious that was a miss function wise.

The only niggles I have is the fact I can't do the phonebook transfer from my Iphone, the voice command tutorial every time you want to dial someone and the fact you feel a little enveloped by it when in the drivers seat with the high centre console, high sides and high dash. But I'm really nit picking now.

Bottom line, I love it and the family love it too :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links