Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone have any views on taking out parts & labour warranties via Warranty Direct? I have recently bought my first Lexus, a 1996 N LS400 with 98-99k on the clock; I have been quoted £353 for 12 months comprehensive warranty (exc. usual exhaust, tires etc.) & including breakdown cover. This doesn't seem bad at all, although clearly the company think they can make money at that price, indicating that they don't expect claims to exceed that amount (& yes, I do understand that's the same with any insurance). Any opinions or experiences with Warranty Direct would be appreciated. Also, any views on non-Lexus servicing in the Tunbridge Wells area? Have just been quoted £275 for an 'A' service at Motorline Tunbridge Wells - seems reasonable-ish; again, any views?

That's a fair price for the warranty, I'd probably go with it for a N reg car with near 100k miles. After the first year, if you didn't need it, then don't renew.

275 for an A service is way too much. Try Powerhouse garage in camberley, surrey or westfield motors in rayleigh, essex. I've been to westfield and can honestly say they treat you well and know what they are doing. £32+VAT for labour per hour, which helps, as labour is most of the cost of the service. Other people might be able to vouch for Powerhouse.

Hope this helps.

Check what the warrenty covers most will not cover electrical items and climate control system and wear and tear items discs pads exhausts etc.also what is the claim amount sometimes up to only £250 per claim which would be useless on a ls400.As for lexus tonbridge i have used them 5-6 times in the last year and found them excellent nice showroom and freindly staff .As for the price, haggle ,tell them your car is seven years old and you expect a discount for age as toyota used to do this on older cars ,worked for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a cheap parts and labour warranty - but only on cars under 10 yrs old and under 100k miles - have a look at the AA website The AA- £52 per year covers up to 3 claims up to £500 each. For AA member it follows your membership. I took it out on a GS300 paid £12 until my membership renewal. The radiator failed - they paid for a Lexus garage to fit a new one - no cost to me. Worth a thought for smaller failures.

If you want a cheap parts and labour warranty - but only on cars under 10 yrs old and under 100k miles - have a look at the AA website The AA- £52 per year covers up to 3 claims up to £500 each. For AA member it follows your membership. I took it out on a GS300 paid £12 until my membership renewal. The radiator failed - they paid for a Lexus garage to fit a new one - no cost to me. Worth a thought for smaller failures.

Just took this warrenty out for my car as the lexus approved one runs out next week :crying: .

This is interesting I never knew they did this. I'm an RAC member so I've just checked their site and they also do it but its £60 and covers you for claim of a maximum of £2,250 inc. VAT across up to 3 claims a year, with there being total flexibility on how much each claim is for. So if needs be you could make one claim of £1,900, another for £150 and another of £200.

But as always with insurance there is excess :yawn: £50 per claim.

Its tempting as my car is over 4 years and just rolled round to 90k this week.

That sounds better. By restricting a claim to £500 you cannot get a lot of work done on a Lexus. Being able to claim £2250 on one fault means you can get your sat nav fixed or a master cylinder replaced etc. These items cost well over £500.

That sounds better. By restricting a claim to £500 you cannot get a lot of work done on a Lexus. Being able to claim £2250 on one fault means you can get your sat nav fixed or a master cylinder replaced etc. These items cost well over £500.

Just checked the RAC conditions with regards to Insured components and specific exclusions. I think Sat Nav might be excluded. Extract below: see line in bold

exceptions listed below:

Electrics

Batteries, fuses, wiring looms and connectors (including making good any corroded connections), in car audio systems, central locking remote control units, navigation and communication systems including LCD display / television screens, alarms and immobilisers, window, washer, headlamp lifter, seat adjustment and mirror motors, heated screens, horn, dashboard instruments other than the speedometer or temperature guage.

But yes Colin it does seem better than a set amount per claim. I am very tempted to purchase this and if you look at it as £5 a month for a year then it ain't bad.

In case anyones interested here's more of the component exclusions.

Bodywork

All body work, trim, rubber, upholstery, seats and seatbelts, glass, mirrors, paint, sunroof components, door handles and hinges, lights, lamps, panels, wheels and tyres, locks and keys.

Brakes

Discs, drums, pads, shoes and seized calipers.

Clutch

The renewal of any clutch component due to incorrect adjustment, misuse or Wear and Tear.

Service items

Distributor cap, rotor arm, condenser, points, high tension leads, spark plugs, glow plugs, wiper blades and arms, filter elements, bulbs, belts, antifreeze, fluids, grease, fuel or oils. However oils, filters and antifreeze are covered as a direct result of a valid claim providing the Vehicle is not within 1,000 miles of its next scheduled service.

Casings

Casings are covered only when damaged by the covered Breakdown of an insured Component.

Suspension

Shock absorbers.

General

Exhaust and inlet manifolds, exhaust systems, catalytic converters, lambda sensors, sticking or burnt out valves, drive belts, brackets, mountings, hoses, pipes, cables, gaskets (except cylinder head gasket) and oil seals (unless required as part of a covered repair to an insured Component), studs, bolts and fasteners, rubber gaiters and oil leaks.

Note: Timing/camshaft belts and any related damage due to their failure are only covered provided that You can provide proof that they have been replaced in accordance with the intervals specified by the manufacturer. If You are in any doubt, You should arrange for the timing/camshaft belts to be replaced on Your Vehicle at Your expense.

From the AA site:

Specific exclusions under Parts and Labour Cover

breakdowns occurring prior to the purchase of this cover;

defects you knew or ought reasonably to have known about prior to the commencement of the journey on which the breakdown occurred;

any defects reported to the AA Patrol, or AA-appointed garage agent, that are not connected to the initial cause of breakdown;

any other defects identified by your repairing garage not connected to the initial cause of the breakdown;

any defects due to the poor maintenance of the vehicle, including Cambelt failure and any consequential damage, when it cannot be established that the belt has been changed in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations;

failure of an insured component due to gradual deterioration, commensurate with the age and/or mileage of the vehicle;

exhaust systems, engine mountings, wheels and tyres, audio equipment and aerials, car phones, batteries, all body parts, locks and keys, glass, non-glass windows, paint, trim, upholstery, cosmetic finishes, folding roof frames and fabric, worn-out clutch, discs, brake pads or brake shoes and any consequential damage arising from a non-insured part;

repairs required due to incorrect or contaminated fuel;

routine adjustments, phasing and calibration, internal blockage of fuel systems by contamination and failure to meet current emission legislation;

any loss where the odometer has been tampered with, altered or disconnected;

the VAT content of a claim will not be paid if you are VAT registered; and

provision of a replacement car (unless you have Relay Plus).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links