Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is220d Cut Out Whilst Driving And Wont Start At All

hi, our Is220d has been in the garage for just over 4 weeks and they are still no further forward. We had to go out and buy another car as its just dead.

Garage initally thought it was the in-tank fuel pump (he said it was working but with not much pressure) so had a new one fitted. He was told off a Lexus guy that sometimes the High pressure fuel pump in the other tank(its has 2) can be damaged when draining the tank to replace the in-tank fuel pump. My mechanic doesn't want to believe that and want to check everything else first as they are very expensive.

He's had it towed to an auto electrician to check all wires and cables in case any break anywhere, but cant find anything.

Were at a loss, it starts with cold start spray so he knows the car can physically run.

any ideas anyone???

thanks in advance

hi, our Is220d has been in the garage for just over 4 weeks and they are still no further forward. We had to go out and buy another car as its just dead.

Garage initally thought it was the in-tank fuel pump (he said it was working but with not much pressure) so had a new one fitted. He was told off a Lexus guy that sometimes the High pressure fuel pump in the other tank(its has 2) can be damaged when draining the tank to replace the in-tank fuel pump. My mechanic doesn't want to believe that and want to check everything else first as they are very expensive.

He's had it towed to an auto electrician to check all wires and cables in case any break anywhere, but cant find anything.

Were at a loss, it starts with cold start spray so he knows the car can physically run.

any ideas anyone???

thanks in advance

Just noticed this post whilst browsing the is300h forums

I had a similar issue to you but not the completely dead part.

When I had my 2006 plate 220 that top developed a very serious and undetectable problem.

It all started out of the blue and when pulling up to a top the rpm and engine would start murdering violently.

Had the car to numerous garages including the dealers. After spending a fortune in diagnostics none could come up with a solution.

It had everything from compression tested to sensors changed and all came all to no avail.

It was getting rather expensive so I decided to trade it to a different dealer against a ct200h.

I've had 3 and just awaiting my 4th Lexus (is300h FSport) and its the only issue I've ever had of a serious nature.

That car definitely had an engine problem and it had only done 78k.

I'm sorry its probably won't be of any consolation to you but just thought I'd share my similar experience which I washed my hands of before it got into extortionate numbers.

• 4 weeks later...

hi reeves thanks for your reply. unfortunately our car is still at the garage, its had new fuel pump fitted, then been to auto-electrician who checked the wiring on the whole car by the diagrams. Then it was towed to a garage which looks after all the taxis in the area. theyve spent mega bucks on equipment & software. They advertise if they dont find the fault no one can and they couldnt!

But they all think its an electrical fault somewhere. We now are having it towed to the Lexus dealers this week and capping them on 2 hours labour. Havent had bill off others yet.

I was wrong the car is not completely dead, all lights etc come on but engine wont kick over, all obvious things have been checked, i.e starter motor, alternator, timimg belt, immobiliser, etc anyone got any ideas?

• 2 months later...

well the car has been in the garage for 19 weeks now. Spent a fortune on it. Its's still at Lexus who finally said it can only be the fuel rail or high pressure fuel suction valve. I've now had both replaced and it still doesnt run.

Lexus have asked if we want to continue to look for fault, but its had new sender 'in tank fuel pump', new high pressure fuel pump, fuel rail and fuel suction valve.

The fuel is getting upto the fuel rail but the pressure is really low, so still not enough to start engine, although it starts with 'easy start spray'.

got to pay bill on monday and sell car as non runner, absolutely gutted :angry:

19 weeks?!?!? that is ridiculous.

If Lexus told you it could only be the fuel rail or suction valve, and the problem still isn't fixed, than that is surely a lie? I would tell the dealer to refund you the cost of those parts and to keep looking for no extra charge.

I would also tell them that for the £85 inspection fee, I would want a definite diagnostic, not just changing parts until the answer is finally found.

In the meantime, I would leave the car at the dealers and contact Lexus UK to complain.

Bad luck on that.

Sounds like an electrical problem if everything mechanical has been changed. I'd guess the high pressure pump is not getting the correct signal from the ECU to raise pressure.

Think ECU fault or wiring problem between ECU and pump. You should ask whether this problem has been investigated.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links