Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Removed The Paint Protection Film?

As per title, has anyone removed it?

Its got black dust underneath it and looks like a massive scratch! Not to mention, its slightly yellow :O

Anyone managed to remove it and got any stone-chips there at all? If so, what did you use - hairdryer, steamer or heat gun?

Thanks

On my daughters yaris, she scraped it, I went to a local company who do vinyls etc, and they charged about £20 to replace it, removed existing, and cut a new one to match,

I think it is worth leaving on, but they do tend to show a dirt line around the edges after a few years, particularly on lighter cars.

On my daughters yaris, she scraped it, I went to a local company who do vinyls etc, and they charged about £20 to replace it, removed existing, and cut a new one to match,

I think it is worth leaving on, but they do tend to show a dirt line around the edges after a few years, particularly on lighter cars.

How did they take it off? I guess steamer might be safest. The dirt line on the IS is very prominent due to motorway tyre shine sling from valeters!

yes I had the tyre gunk on mine, looked like old engine oil, after a month or so, and several washes, it is now all gone from around the wheels etc.

How they took it off, not sure, I think it was a hot air gun/hairdrier, then cleaned any glue residue.

yes I had the tyre gunk on mine, looked like old engine oil, after a month or so, and several washes, it is now all gone from around the wheels etc.

How they took it off, not sure, I think it was a hot air gun/hairdrier, then cleaned any glue residue.

I don't mind cleaning the glue residue - thats the easy part - i have plenty of experience with debadging but PPF is something I haven't removed as my previous RX had PPF on the bumper but it was wrapped around so no seals were visible

I would have left it on and just cleaned it but its an eyesore as its sort of yellow and clashes against the bright white paintwork

That was also the issue with my daughters, but then after 10 years a bit of yellowing is acceptable!

After replacing though it does look much better, and the old film was showing the stone chips, but the paint was perfect, so definitely worth having.

Rayaan: I called my dealer to ask how the films were taken off the red 300h mentioned in my post of 24 Aug

(see Rear Door Plastic Protection). He said a simple hairdryer did the trick, with tar/resin remover to get rid

of residues.

He added, for information's sake, that the replacement of damaged films with Lexus originals (manufactured

by 3M) is a devil of a job even for the best professionals.

Rayaan: I called my dealer to ask how the films were taken off the red 300h mentioned in my post of 24 Aug

(see Rear Door Plastic Protection). He said a simple hairdryer did the trick, with tar/resin remover to get rid

of residues.

He added, for information's sake, that the replacement of damaged films with Lexus originals (manufactured

by 3M) is a devil of a job even for the best professionals.

Great to know thanks! Ill try and have a crack at it on Wednesday - weather permitting as the car needs a full exterior detail - the interior is looking great - valeters did a good job but the outside has a few light scratches which have caught my attention and the PPF is doing my head in.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links