Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Discs And Pads Rx450h

These were called out at the last service as needed replacing in 5000 miles which the car has subsequently covered. Dealer quoted £400 to supply and fit - just wondering if anyone has recent experience of cost and alternative options to main dealer?

Thanks

You can get third party parts for around £110 and pay a local garage £60 to install them. I suspect you may have a calliper seized so that may take a little bit more time and a few extra £ for new sliding pins but I'm sure Lexus would also charge you extra if they encounter issues.

Replaced all of mine (front and rear) just after I got it (400h) got the parts from Europarts, total cost just under £200. Rear caliper sliding pins were very bad with one seized. My local garage freed it off. Got new ones from Lexus Birmingham on eBay for £35 for both sides. Did the work myself, it wasn't too difficult.

I swear by the Toyota pads, they aren't too badly priced and I have tried alternatives over the years (including most recently EBC Ultimax "low brake dust pads" which shockingly have doubled the brake dust!!) - Toyota pads wear longest with minimal/normal dust and as a bonus always fit "just right"!

Now, cleaning/refurbing brake callipers, rubber grommets and sliding pins are an absolute must on pretty much any Toyota/Lexus!

As Gliderpilot said, it's not hard and is worth the time! For less than a £100 in parts for all 4 wheels, it'll save you £400+ per wheel at the dealer, who will gladly sell you a whole new calliper and mount rather than just service them!

• Like 1

I also doubt there is anything wrong with the discs. If they were corroded the dealer would have said they needed changing immediately, instead of in 5,000 miles. The rear brakes do very little, especially on a hybrid, and you should be able to get through 2 or 3 sets of pads before needing discs - I'd imagine you still have the original pads?

How many miles has your 450 done Nick?

It's possible that all the discs just need a good clean up with a stiff wire brush (if not too worn as per Colin's post above)...

There's nothing fancy about the brakes, so a good independent will be able to easily sort it for you if you don't like/have the time to DIY and at probably half the price of Mr Dealer...

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the advice - Car has done 84k so it wouldn't necessarily still be on first set of discs would it?

I will bow down to those of you that have the technical skills to do this work yourself - I know my limitations and I would definitely bodge something if I attempted it. I have got a great I dependant nearby who has worked on my LS400 but not the RX so far. Also got a brilliant Toyota dealership so might try them too and see what they quote.

Thanks again

• Like 1

The rear discs can easily go 100k miles any beyond provided a stuck calliper doesn't allow then to corrode. Any independent should be able to do the work for you.

If your RX is 5+ years old then your dealer should be offering you essentials care and not charging any more than £295 which is the fixed price set by Lexus GB.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links