Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Can anyone clarify where the best fuse box is to connect something up to a ignition controlled device.

Basically I need to tap into something controlled by ignition like the radio or similar to wire up my new car cam.

Impresume it's under one of the foot wells or something but. Don't want to pull trims unnecessarily.

Cheers Carl

Hi Carl

Was just going to ask same Question as i have just bought a dash cam myself

the reason i did was a fortnight ago i was going to rotherham and a Fiesta passed me with 4 asian males in but something didnt seem right. I drove on but the Fiesta slowed a couple of times then they braked suddenly there car skidded but mine stopped instantlly as i was aware that something was wrong, i think that brake system we have came on because ive never known it stop so quick. With that they just raced away and thought i bet that was a crash scam coming up.

I was wondering tapping in to Cigar Lighter

Robert

Hi Carl

Was just going to ask same Question as i have just bought a dash cam myself

the reason i did was a fortnight ago i was going to rotherham and a Fiesta passed me with 4 asian males in but something didnt seem right. I drove on but the Fiesta slowed a couple of times then they braked suddenly there car skidded but mine stopped instantlly as i was aware that something was wrong, i think that brake system we have came on because ive never known it stop so quick. With that they just raced away and thought i bet that was a crash scam coming up.

I was wondering tapping in to Cigar Lighter

Robert

Unfortunately there is a lot of bad driving now a days.

I had a foreign plated Bmw M3 come hurtling up my backside flashing his lights in anger. I was overtaking another car at around 80mph in the fast lane and further more was overtaking behind another car also making the same overtake so it's not like I was hogging the lane.

So the BMW undertook me, forced in the gap I'd left for safety, about six cars worth as it was both wet and dark then proceeded to brake test me for good measure. If the brakes weren't so good on my car I'd have definitely gone into the back of him.

The stupid thing is, he would have ended up on the hard should if my big heavy GS hit him at 80mph so you have to wonder what goes through these people's heads.

Either way I was rather angry at the stupidity and had I have caught it on camera it would of been presented to the police.

Anyway, back to the fuse box, if know one seems to know then I'll have to take a look.

Carl

Mine is plugged into cig lighter comes on when car is started. Removed stereo and went below stearing wheel, then up the door pilar.

And across headlining fitted permantly never take it out. Mines a Dod Ls300W and pictures are brilliant night and day.

Ok, I wired in my car cam into the fuse box for the cigarette lighter which is directly below your drivers right knee just on the under side of the trim. If you poke your head under you can see the white little cover.

Unclip cover and you have access to the mini fuses.

For those that are interested I I fitted the camera to the windscreen just behind the centre mirror on the passengers side. Because of the way you slightly angle your centre mirror there is more space this side and plus it's not in the drivers view.

I pushed the wire behind the roof trim all the way around the top of the windscreen along the drivers side and then spdowb the A-pillar until it reached the right hand dash speaker cover.

I removed the speaker cover and unbolted the speaker (2x10mm bolts)-I use a ratchet spanner as there is no room for a socket.

I then taped the wires to a metal coat hanger and carefully fed the wires down the gap which is just in front of the sound proofing and bulkhead under where the speaker was.

Feeding the wire down in thus way you should end up almost on top of the fuse box that you will connect to.

Using the wiring kit that come with my video cam I removed the 15amp cigarette lighter fuse and inserted it into the new multitude wire for the vid cam. This then push fits back into the original fuse slot. Point to note, the Lexus fuses are short stubby versions which were too short for my fuse adaptor. I had to buy some more long ones to fit.

For the earth wire I used the single bolt that holds the accelerator pedal in, just slightly loosen the bolt then tick the U-shaped Earth wire end behind the head then re-tighten.

Tie up and tape any excess wiring so that it cannot fall down anywhere.

One minor detail, fitting these fancy must fuse blocks means you can no longer fit the fuse cover back on as the new fuse block fouls it.

I have just placed mine in the centre console for reference.

Who,e job probably less than an hour being careful.

Below are a few pics I've attached, sorry you will have to rotate a few. One shows the speaker cavity where I fed the wires. One shows speaker cavity after screwing speaker back in place, before refitting speaker trim.

One of the fuse box before addition fuse block is added and the other after, it's the third fuse in the middle row for the cigarette lighter.

The other picture is where I used an costing bolt on the accelerator pedal then tied all wires out of the way.

Hope some of these make sense anyway.

Carl

post-38756-0-57585200-1447000930_thumb.j

post-38756-0-76171500-1447000950_thumb.j

post-38756-0-00817300-1447000970_thumb.j

post-38756-0-69314700-1447000985_thumb.j

post-38756-0-64488200-1447001007_thumb.j

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links