Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Original Tyres For 2006 Gs430/recommendations

I will be buying new tyres for my GS430 soon and was wondering what the original brand was when the car was new?

Also, any recommendations would be welcome, I'll be looking at premium brands but want something that keeps road noise to a minimum to keep the smooth ride, the tyres I have on the car at present seem fine but have never heard of them and would prefer something I can research and are a known quantity.

if keeping noise levels down is a priority then you should be opting for Grand Touring tyres and staying away from ultra high performance tyres as those will be harsh ride due to their compound. i believe the GS's came with Bridgestoine Potenza RE050A from factory but for comfort consider tyres like Bridstone Turanza , Micheline Primacy, Continental PremiumContact, Yokohama BlueEarth etc..as those are designed with noise and comfort in mind rather than high performance but saying that i have run Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Falken Azenis FK453 and Bridgestone Potenza S001 in my IS300 and found all considerably quiet and less harsh even with 18's i now run 17's in the GS and would consider running the Falkens again after winter due to its stiffer side wall design from personal experience.

if keeping noise levels down is a priority then you should be opting for Grand Touring tyres and staying away from ultra high performance tyres as those will be harsh ride due to their compound. i believe the GS's came with Bridgestoine Potenza RE050A from factory but for comfort consider tyres like Bridstone Turanza , Micheline Primacy, Continental PremiumContact, Yokohama BlueEarth etc..as those are designed with noise and comfort in mind rather than high performance but saying that i have run Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Falken Azenis FK453 and Bridgestone Potenza S001 in my IS300 and found all considerably quiet and less harsh even with 18's i now run 17's in the GS and would consider running the Falkens again after winter due to its stiffer side wall design from personal experience.

Thanks John, I had Bridgestone RE050A's on my Sportcross and they were a fantastic tyre but the road noise was quite high which is in line with your post. I was at Lexus Bristol yesterday and we had a discussion on this very subject and Dunlop SP Sports seem to fit the bill, my research also shows these to be a good choice especially for low noise levels.

my ls430 had bridgestones on it which were noisy even low speeds - i changed them to continental which i had on my 400 but they did'nt make any difference on the ls430. after doing some research i went for dunlop sp sports which are much quieter.

Again, thanks John. As mentioned above the Dunlop SP Sports are looking

like a strong contender, all the reviews I have read say they are one of

the best for low noise levels.

i have no doubts the Dunlop SP Sport's are good tyres but thier UTQG rating is low. UTQG ratings is a tyre rating systems in the US which takes into account how good/bad a tyre is at maintaing traction, disipating heat and tread wearng I look at a tyres UTQG rating aswell when deciding on one a rating of AA A indicates the tyre is better at traction and heat resistance. The higher the number the better it is at wear as an example Dunlop SP Sport Maxx has a UTQG 240AA A click on the show sizes & prices tab in the link below to see ratings

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Dunlop/SP+Sport+MAXX

Falken Azenis has 300AA A,

Micheline Pilot Sport3 has 320 AA A

Micheline Primacy has 240AA A

Toyo Proxes has 280 AA A

these ratings are mostly found on US tyre websites. i recon these rating s are better when compared the the european ratings which takes into account wet, external road noise, and fuel economy.

I jus ordered a pair of Dunlop : 245/40 Y 18 : Dunlop Sport Maxx RT XL.

I have tried most brands but had these before and found them to be good all rounders and one of the quietest tyres out there at 69dB.

Not sure about the UTQG but I never felt they under performed.

Trouble with most of these ratings is they are tested in laboratory conditions and in the real world they often react quite differently.

In truth even a quiet running tyre is noisy on a bad road surface and there is no getting away from that but some tread patterns do help a little to mute it better.

Carl

i have no doubts the Dunlop SP Sport's are good tyres but thier UTQG rating is low. UTQG ratings is a tyre rating systems in the US which takes into account how good/bad a tyre is at maintaing traction, disipating heat and tread wearng I look at a tyres UTQG rating aswell when deciding on one a rating of AA A indicates the tyre is better at traction and heat resistance. The higher the number the better it is at wear as an example Dunlop SP Sport Maxx has a UTQG 240AA A click on the show sizes & prices tab in the link below to see ratings

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Dunlop/SP+Sport+MAXX

Falken Azenis has 300AA A,

Micheline Pilot Sport3 has 320 AA A

Micheline Primacy has 240AA A

Toyo Proxes has 280 AA A

these ratings are mostly found on US tyre websites. i recon these rating s are better when compared the the european ratings which takes into account wet, external road noise, and fuel economy.

Interesting, not something I have seen or heard of before, kind of adds more questions as to what to go for. As I don't need tyres straight away I'm going to have a look into these ratings.

Appreciate your input.

I jus ordered a pair of Dunlop : 245/40 Y 18 : Dunlop Sport Maxx RT XL.

I have tried most brands but had these before and found them to be good all rounders and one of the quietest tyres out there at 69dB.

Not sure about the UTQG but I never felt they under performed.

Trouble with most of these ratings is they are tested in laboratory conditions and in the real world they often react quite differently.

In truth even a quiet running tyre is noisy on a bad road surface and there is no getting away from that but some tread patterns do help a little to mute it better.

Carl

I have read good reviews on the Dunlop's and it's good to hear you have had good previous experience with them, they are still my preferred choice but as I'm in no hurry I will check out the UTGQ ratings etc. and go from there.

Agreed, reviews are very subjective and our bad roads don't help matters.

Would welcome your current thoughts on your new Dunlop's once fitted, thanks for your input.

yeh the UTQG rating explained why the Falkens lasted a bit longer than the S001 Bridgestones i replaced them with. a lower UTQG rating does not necessarily mean the tyre is bad in terms of performance its just a wear indicator.

most track day tyres have very very low UTQG rating which i believe contributes to them being very sticky and gripy. does this mean the SP Sport Maxx will be a more grippier tyre than say the Micheline Sport 3 due to its low figure? I dont know but as an example the Toyo Proxes R888 DOT competition track day racing tyre only has 100 AA A rating being semi-slick its a very sticky tyre. there is more technology which goes into designing a tyre than just its wear rating so dont let that put you off its just an indicator if oen puts wear as priority when choosing tyres.

• Like 1

although i havent run Dunlops they are definately a good brand but if comfort is a priority I am not sure they are designed for that Gran Touring tyres are what you should be looking at but i might be wrong about the comfort level of the Sport Maxx

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links