Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Questions About The Ls400 As An American Now Living In England

Hello, I have a question that maybe some LS400 owners here could help me tackle.

I want to know if the LS400 in the UK has OBD2 ports on it? I know that in the USA OBD2 was made mandatory by 1997, but this doesn't apply for europe. I also heard that the LS400 in the USA was fitted with OBD2 ports even before it was mandatory, some models from 1993 even having the OBD2 ports in it. My question is, because OBD2 in england was not made mandatory until 2004(?) does the lexus LS400 in england contain an OBD2 port?? and if so in what year did they begin using it??

I am interested in buying one since it is one of the few cars that have the "american spirit" in them that i can purchase in europe (yes, i know lexus is japanese, it is just a feeling) plus I would like to get something familiar as I used to drive one of these when I lived in the states.

Thank you.

• Like 1

.... I don't know the answer to your question but as a driver of Ls400 for some 15 years I really couldn't think of a better car to drive ............. and if it doesn't have an OBD2 port ? would that deter you from buying one of the best cars in the UK ??

Malc

My 1998 LS400 has an OBD2 port (down below the steering wheel).

However, I bought a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and can't get my phone or tablet to talk to it. Whether this is the fault of the car (non-standard OBD2 in 1998?) or the dongle (cheap and useless?) I can't be sure!

The ls400 is a very complex car when it comes to reading faults.

The number of ECUs is too much for generic code readers. However, you can get Toyota TIS Techstream mini VCi rather cheap on eBay and that works perfectly.

Alternatively you can get the codes using the TCCS method. Bridging 2 pins on the connector and read the codes on the dash. On the earlier models this is achieved by counting the times a light flashes, on the mk4 you can get the actual codes displayed on the multi info display by pressing the 'function' button.

• Like 1

Hi Radimir and welcome to the LOC, we are a
friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and
put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer
left over.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins
looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

I cant help with your present queries
but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

Hello, yes I am aware of the rules. Did i break any of them?

.... I don't know the answer to your question but as a driver of Ls400 for some 15 years I really couldn't think of a better car to drive ............. and if it doesn't have an OBD2 port ? would that deter you from buying one of the best cars in the UK ??

Malc

Maybe not, but it has been a lingering question that has been bothering me because I haven't really been able to find an answer to it. :) Furthermore one of the things I like to do to cars I am inspecting before buying is put an OBD2 scanner on them and read any codes that haven't yet reached the threshold to trigger the check engine light.

However, I bought a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and can't get my phone or tablet to talk to it. Whether this is the fault of the car (non-standard OBD2 in 1998?) or the dongle (cheap and useless?) I can't be sure!

Good to know! Have you ever tried the dongle on another car? I hear they only work through the CAN Bus or something.

The number of ECUs is too much for generic code readers. However, you can get Toyota TIS Techstream mini VCi rather cheap on ebay and that works perfectly.

Alternatively you can get the codes using the TCCS method. Bridging 2 pins on the connector and read the codes on the dash. On the earlier models this is achieved by counting the times a light flashes, on the mk4 you can get the actual codes displayed on the multi info display by pressing the 'function' button.

Wow! Interesting! I heard that there was a light flashing thing you could do, but I never knew that they let you view the actual codes on the display on the newer models.

Do you know if the Toyota TIS Techstream mini VCi device you mentioned will work on pre-1996 lexus cars?

i had the same problem, took it into lexus in the end, as a so called indi lexus toyota garage couldn't read the ecu either.

...... 180k miles on and I've never had a dash light on APART from that pesky rear stop light bulb that has happened twice to me in 2 of my 3 different Lexus Ls400s' pops up a warning light .................. it's only ever pence to replace and the original bulb lasts about 15/16/17 years.

Malc

The number of ECUs is too much for generic code readers. However, you can get Toyota TIS Techstream mini VCi rather cheap on ebay and that works perfectly.

Do you have a link for the code read on the series IV Rudy, my project one has an ABS fault at the moment.

Hello guys

I have one more question about the british LS400 as compared to the american counterpart.

The newer models after 1995 have an LCD screen below the speedo which displays your MPG. Is this MPG specifically british MPG, or american MPG?

As I understand 25 american MPG equates to 30 british MPG. This has been a lingering question and I would appreciate it if I could find an answer.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links