Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Preserving Remote Locking Keys

Over the years and through lots of use, I found that the plastic hollow remote locking keys tend to get a bit battered. So I now start my car using the solid fob valet key instead. This hopefully will save my remaining remote key from overuse, causing it to crack or split -- (my first one has already started to disintergrate). Crucially, the remote key has to be near to the ignition switch to start the car because the transponder is embedded inside it. But, if you put both keys on the same key ring and then use the solid valet key to start the engine, your plasticky remote is preserved. It's the action of twisting that ruins them.

Hi Brian

when i bought my second mark 4 it came with 1 broken key.

i then bought some key shells from eBay which came with the metal embedded gold lexus logo and made my key like new again. I then bought a second hand key, programmed it and created a second almost new key with the 2nd shell.

i was a bit hesitant about buying the shells from eBay but they turned out to be very good quality and would of lasted long had I not sold my car

Mark,--- yes, I have seen various key shells on eBay and I did think about buying some until I hit on using the valet key which is almost indestructable. I also found a firm online advertising to recondition knackered remote keys for £22 or so. I may use them as my remaining remote key does lock the car, but only with some difficulty. It unlocks the doors/boot with no problem, it's locking it that takes a few presses of the button.

I know what you mean about the twisting action being the problem, and with my keys being 15 years old, were getting a bit 'iffy'.

So I looked at 3rd party shells, and though okay they are not as rigid as the Lexus original.

So I decided to re-build one of my keys, as the problem seems to be the back part (with the logo on) where the screw beds down, this tends to go, so spent a day or two with some hard plastic and super-glue getting it done, and for last year had no problems.

I have also got into the habit of holding the key nearer the stem end (rather than lanyard end) so that it puts less strain on the whole sheebang.

Hopefully they'll last another 15 years!!!

Pete, I've tried doing exactly what you have done and it did work for a while. Unfortunately, I was reduced to one remote key when my rescue efforts of the first one failed. That's when I hit on using the more sturdy valet key to start the engine with.

Pete, I've tried doing exactly what you have done and it did work for a while. Unfortunately, I was reduced to one remote key when my rescue efforts of the first one failed. That's when I hit on using the more sturdy valet key to start the engine with.

I had valet key with my Mk2, but not with current Mk4, which is why I fixed the keys.

My first attempt at fixing was cr*p, and lasted about 6 weeks, so my version 2 of fix was better thought out.

I would say that if i charged myself say £15 per hour to fix, it would have been cheaper to go to Lexus and buy a key at their prices, but I love a challenge.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links