Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Smart Key Stopped Working Temporarily.

Hi,

I had an interesting problem with the smart key system earlier, basically I parked the car and tried to lock it using the button on the door handle and it wouldn't lock so I tried pressing the lock button on the smart key and that didn't lock it either, I did notice the red LED blinking quite rapidly. Anyway, after numerous attempts I got it to lock, then about 10 minutes later I went to move the car and this time I couldn't get it to open!!! I approached the car about 3 times to see if the smart key would work then tried the unlock button on the keyfob, once again the LED was flashing repeatedly but the car didn't unlock. I was about to resort to the mechanical key when it eventually worked.

Then I tried to start the car and got the key is not detected message so put the smart key in the ignition switch to start the engine. I arrived home and once again I couldn't get it to lock either with the button on the door or the lock button on the keyfob. As the car was at home I left it on the drive unlocked and then went back to it 3 hours later and everything started working normally as if a fault hadn't even existed!!! I tested locking/unlocking using both methods and everything was fine and still is.

Would I be correct in thinking that the Battery in the key might be getting flat? I'm going to replace it tomorrow anyway, I just don't understand why I had all those problems then when I left it for a couple of hours it all started working perfectly again.

Yes, the Battery is getting flat. I dont know the ins and outs of it but these batteries dont just die completely. They are also dependent on temperature as the following graph shows:

discharge-temp.gif

So yes, I would presume its the temperature as it has been getting cold but you'd want to change the Battery just in case.

Im not too familiar with the LS430 but the new cars have a built in backup - you have to open the car using the manual key, then you have to touch the key fob on the power button for a few seconds, and then press the power button using the fob.

Martin, something similar happened to me with my mk4 LS400. I park it in my driveway and always lock/unlock it with the fob. I went to unlock it one time and there was no response from the central locking. Strange, I thought. I then tried to unlock my wife's car as well with her fob and incredibly, the same thing happened to her car too. She has a Rover. (It came to me later that there must have been some elecrical/radio signal interferance that was blocking the locking procedures on both cars). Now for the good bit--- just at that time, I could hear my neighbour's front door bell ringing continuously (they are both very deaf). I went to their front door and flicked out the bell push which was stuck in. I then went back to both cars and immediately they both unlocked, problem solved!! The neighbours had one of those wireless front door bells and the signal from that was strong enough to cause the problem. I've heard stories of cars immobilised in multi-story car parks because of radio interferance. Progress eh?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links