Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rear Abs Rings On A 1998 Mk2 Gs300

Hello guys

At last I took on replacing the rear ABS ring from the driver rear side.

Everywhere I was reading it was mentioned that the ring is not replaceable and the driveshaft has to be purchased!

Now that I took everything apart I am a bit annoyed to say the least! as the rings are removable with not much effort at all.

Once the driveshaft is out the ring slides out.

The hub was "swollen from rust" on the inside pushing the "tin" shield on the ring and eating it away.

As you can see on the pictures there is nothing left from the "teeth on the ring".

Now does anyone know where to get those rings?

No need to ask Lexus as they are next to useless when asking parts... they say to buy the complete assembly. (Sorry I have a personal dislike to my local canterbury dealer as they have been useless when I needed them 3 times (once for Lexus and once for Toyota) and I ended up to the customer services telephone line, shouting my head out lol ... and filing official complaints).

This is the old ring

IMG_20151219_203827_zps9nfhoh71.jpg

This is the shield where the ring was sitting in, had to bend it as I had to take it out. It is not in the hub anymore...

IMG_20151219_204331_zpshiyl57x2.jpg

New replacement driveshaft

IMG_20151219_115104_zpsf8cw63b1.jpg

This is the old driveshaft with the "eaten" ring

IMG_20151219_115053_zpswc0nlbbr.jpg

Not sure on whether front or rear,maybe an idea to call them or email to clarify.

No idea on fronts, obviously won't be detailed in service manual as Lexus would replace the complete hub I would imagine, I know on the LS the tooth ring is set into the hub which would mean bearing removal and replacement to change the ring.

• 4 weeks later...

That site looks a bit error prone to me.

I got a ring separately when I found out what the shaft would cost and then my dealer mechanic fitted the ring for me.

I tried several eBay sites that just sent me toyota stuff which didn't fit.....SIgh !! and if the price is less that 20 I would have doubts about the quality.

Front rings are available for £20 from Lexus as a standard part. Rear rings are a separate one off from and engineering shop. You can order the shield from lexus as a part but care must be taken to retain the old shim for the shaft when replacing the ring.

About 150 fitted as opposed to 900 + for the shaft replacement.

I am very happy with the solution.

B

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/12/2015 at 9:54 PM, steve2006 said:

Putting the car details in comes up with the reluctor rings for £2.99.

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/

Hi Steve,

I just got the car diagnosed and now I have an issue with the ABS ring on the other end (passenger side rear). Instead of having the driveshaft replaced. I thought I best order the ring only.

I called them to make sure the one's listed were the right for the car.

And they said they only do the front ones. The rears are not supplied by them. It is dealer only. And dealer as we know.. they do not supply them full stop!

Does anyone know are the front rings? the same as the rears?

On 14/01/2016 at 3:24 PM, BJ430 said:

That site looks a bit error prone to me.

I got a ring separately when I found out what the shaft would cost and then my dealer mechanic fitted the ring for me.

I tried several ebay sites that just sent me toyota stuff which didn't fit.....SIgh !! and if the price is less that 20 I would have doubts about the quality.

Front rings are available for £20 from Lexus as a standard part. Rear rings are a separate one off from and engineering shop. You can order the shield from lexus as a part but care must be taken to retain the old shim for the shaft when replacing the ring.

About 150 fitted as opposed to 900 + for the shaft replacement.

I am very happy with the solution.

B

Hello Brian

Do you have any contact details for the engineering company?

Cheers
Vasilis

15 hours ago, BJ430 said:

sure do :-)

yours is 79.9mm and 48teeth

http://www.reluctorrings.com/cars/lexus

more expensive than others on the bay but good quality

Note for others - Front and rear rings are DIFFERENT

Thank you Brian.

I bought it. So hopefuilly will have it next week and fit it on the ill GS :) :)

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links