Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As some will know my MK3 was recently written off. I've not had a MK4 before,so does the sat nav system actually need the disc to function properly as there seem to be a few (not just Lexus) about being advertised as having no disc?. Is it worth messing around getting a disc or should I just stick to my old Garmin type portable system?.

hi

yes you do need the disc for the sat nave to function.

the system is quite aged by now and even if you buy the latest disc, the system will have its limitations compared to standalone units or the smart phone navs.

personal opinion if sat nav is a major factor to consider then just stick to a stand alone system as you mentioned.

• Like 2

Whilst on the subject of MK4's,they (according to Autotrader) have a few more B.H.P. and a five speed box,but have identical fuel consumption and 0-60 times for some reason. Are there any other differences such as suspension,wheel size etc.?. Will do my best to get a MK3 when the time comes,but want to be prepared for a MK4 if I have to go down that route. Ta.

hi

i dont think there is any suspension differences - i remember buying the same 16 inch tyres aswell.

the mark 4 though feels alot lighter due to the electronic throttle control

here is what to look out for if buying a mark 4:

If your looking to buy a Mark 4 here’s what to look out for:

Make sure it has a full or at least a good service history which includes the cambelt change.

On driving the ride should be quite smooth comfortable with no noises or creaks from the suspension. Gearbox changes should not be noticeable

Upon inserting key the steering should tilt and retract - test and make sure the mechanism works

When starting from cold the starter should engage and start the engine immediately - if there is clicking sound then be prepared to have the starter or starter contacts replaced - the is a big job - takes about 7 hours therefore costs a lot and finding a competent mechanic who has the knowledge to properly dismantle and reassemble everything may not be as easy as you think..

Braking should be quite and smooth - if you get a groaning noise when coming to stop that’s a sign of cheap aftermarket brake pads - they will need replacing.

Check colour of gearbox oil it should be red with no smell of burning.

Check all electrics work

Check the temperature display backlight works - these fail and require a lot of dismantling to replace.

Check the bonnet struts hold the bonnet

Check there is no water or dampness in the spare wheel well - if yes then boot seal needs replacing or sealing

Check the car has the correct Toyota red coolant

Ask if the cabin filter has ever been changed - these are often over looked.

Check toolkit is present

Check for exhaust blow - the Y pipe is prone to leaking

Make sure there are no warning lights lit in the dash

Ideally you want 2 remote and one grey key

Check the car has a matching set of tyres and wether they are branded or not - this should give an indication wether the car has been pampered or neglected

Check the headlamp levelling mechanism still works - these often fail

Before driving off make sure you have the say nav code and locking wheel nut key.

• Like 1

John

The Mark 4 is the one to go for what it as in upgrades on the mark 3 makes it a no brainer.

The navigation system is OK for long runs as long as you don't put post 97 destinations in or use the M6 toll or by passes post 97 If you are just looking for a route finder it is still very usable, the CD is still about, last updated to about 2002. The system although not postcode as enough features to put in a close to your destination target even though it might not have your prescribed address on the out of date CD .I use it for trips down south from Scotland to Devon and it takes me to the house I go to door to door it is also very efficient in Scotland as they don't build new roads here apart from the M74 link to the M8 in Glasgow.

The really scary thing is the journey south on the now M74 where around Lockerbie the kind lady tells you to turn right onto the Motorway which is as far as they had got around 96 in extending the M6 into Scotland along the route of the A74.

The variants you refer to in fuel, gearbox and BHP were upgrades and in particular were brought about by the first V8 engine with vvt-i that brought about better fuel economy and more bottom end torque and it is very evident when you floor the gas pedal,this engine was the same engine bored out to give a further 300cc they put in the LS430.

• Like 1

John, the Sat-Nav in the MK4 is old but so are most of the routes you will take. The only drawback is that you can't input a destination via a postcode as you can with say, a Garmin or Tom Tom etc. Having said that, I reckon 'her' voice commands are better and clearer than any modern shop bought sat-nav, bearing in mind the limitations of this unit. Performance wise the Mk4 has VVT-i and it shows. It pulls like a train through the entire rev range in PWR mode, and still gives the same mpg as in the older models. There are a few more updates I could mention such as electronic dipping side mirrors when you put the car into reverse, etc. Stuff like that. Hope you find a good one, but you'll find low mileage ones are now attracting higher prices than before.

• Like 1

Aftermarket satnav is the way to go my Lexus Nav cd is the latest version and its way out of date.

I do use the Map Guide facility though when I need to make short cuts to beat traffic which works in most areas.

For most trips where I need some guidance I use the Wayz smartphone app with the Star Wars voice of C3P0 and love it when he refers to me as 'master'.

..............no satnav on mine ( of course ) .... but use the g/fs TomTom and it's brilliant, especially all around Europe too

( not sure why it's called TomTom with a lady's voice ! )

Malc

John, some Mk.4s were fitted with the Dynamic Handling Pack which included different wheels (with low profile tyres) and slightly lowered suspension. (Mine is the normal one.) In fact some Mk.3s also had this - they were the two-tone green and grey ones around 1996-1997. They're supposed to feel a bit sportier but I don't know how much, or whether you'd notice the difference.

I agree about the SatNav. It's address only (no postcode) and mine tells me I've reached home when I'm still half a mile (and several roads) away. Also I've turned the voice off because the woman's a bit abrupt and scary. I'd prefer Joanna Lumley.

• Like 1

Talking of which, I was in Eastbourne last summer, looking for a parking space near the tennis courts, when a tall, well-dressed woman with blonde hair stepped out into the road and waved me to a stop. And it was her - Joanna Lumley. She wanted to know where the entrance to the College Chapel was. I didn't know, but SO wanted to be able to help her - or better still, say, 'Hop in, Joanna, I'll take you there.' I could have opened the back door for her, chauffeur-style. She also has an LS, which is possibly why she stopped ME?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links