Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bluetooth Or Wifi Obd2

hi all

just got my year and half old IS 300h Lexus after running the IS220d for 6 years. big change in mileage and the running. no more grey smoke behind me.

i am looking to buy an OBD2 Bluetooth or WiFi sender for it, does anyone know which is compatible with the car

thanks

Inthi

As far as the car goes I don't think it matters if the sender is OBD2. I got a Stoga WiFi ELM327 for about £13 although there seem to be a number of the same product between £10 and £15 on amazon. However the receiver determines whether you should have WiFi or Bluetooth. I think the issue is the version of Bluetooth. I have an iPad 2 and that only works with WiFi.

if you have an Iphone or and iPad then do your research carefully.

Others more knowledgeable will correct this if I am wrong.

John

ps Beware adverts which say Bluetooth WiFi - I suspect this just means Bluetooth.

ps2 I had read reviews which said IGN doesn't need to be on. If it is off or ACC on then lights on the sender flash and it seems to be trying but it fails to connect. IGN must be on to get a connection in GS450h.

inthi09,

I have just seen your post which preceded mine.

If you want the same device to be connected to car phone - BT - and the ABD2 sender simultaneously then the OBD2 sender should be WiFi.

What is your phone make and model?

John

Hi oldtrout. Thank you for the detailed response. I have an Iphone 6+. Reading the review many people have recommended wifi due to connection speed.

Stoga Atoo STO002 WIFI Wirless obd2 wifi obdii OBD2 scanner Car Diagnostic Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC Android Device (WI-FI with switch).

This is on amazon for. £23.00

Thinks

Inthi

Hi Inthi,

Yes I see the ST0002 device. I can't see what it does that the

Pumpkin BDII OBD2 ELM327 Interface WiFi Wireless

doesn't do for £10 except have an on/off switch. Just as easy to remove the device. It is nice and low-profile though.

What app(s) were you going to use?

John

ps I remember now. The Blue Tooth compatibility issue was if the display device supports Blue Tooth LE.

Not sure what ever works with it. I got Carista, eobd and OBD downloaded so far. The only thing with the one you recommend it's longer the other one. so will it not stick out where I might kick it. Do you have a is300h.

Inthi

Into,

I have knocked mine out of the socket which is why I liked the low profile of yours!

I'm on a 2007 GS450h. I don't know how exposed it would be on your 2013 IS300h.

Do let us know how you get on and especially what software you find most useful.

I started a thread on this here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/106184-obd-software-for-ipad/?hl=%2Bobd+%2Bwhat+%2Bsoftware

John

i use the Bluetooth version of the elm327 with carista and its really good i have paid to upgrade to the full version

and it works a treat,register to be a tester for the software and you will get the full version for free but once the testing is

over it will revert back to the free version without the bells and wistles,dont over pay for the adapter as elm 327 is the chipset

name so dont think the more you pay the better it will be,on eBay you can pay around £7 for a Bluetooth version.

Inthi,

Here are some comments which include setting up taken from a customer review on amazon of my device. Even though you have a different one the instructions might be useful. Everything below my name.

My mini CD was cracked so it was good to read that it only contained junk. (Never put a mini CD in a slot-load drive.)

As I said earlier mine would not connect unless the ignition was on. In my case it was cold and the engine was running as well.

When you have finished it should not be necessary to set your Iphone back. If you have it set to join known networks it will. And next time you are in the car and your device is running it will connect automatically.

Good luck

John

———————————————————————

"This is a cheap chinese clone as the OEM central chip costs more than this unit, BUT it works well.

For other seekers after engine truths here are some findings.

- Vehicle: Rover 75 2.5L KV6 2000 Conny, it works, despite not working in some of these early models as OBD was not fully implemented in some cars. Would recommend an angled OBD extension cable ( a fiver on fleabay) as the unit sticks down and is in the way of your legs.

Iphone OS 7 and iPad 2: The unit offered DHCP on connect to it's wifi, so connected correctly immediately without manually setting the IP and so on.

Application: I tried all the free apps available, OBD Doctor offered the quickest working solution showing most of what I wanted. I have yet to get others, such as Rev or Engine Link working as they probably expected a different unit IP, easy enough to set in the Iphone settings manually when I have more time.

Instructions: Mini CD with junk on it. Dont bother. Below is the information you need if DHCP does not work for you:

1) Plug it in to the ODB2 port under your dash and set the car key to the ON position (don't have to start the engine straight away on some vehicles as some data will be read) Start the car to read more data. Wifi should work even if the ignition is off. Be aware that if left connected there will be a small Battery drain.

2) Find the ELM wireless network on your Iphone (settings - wifi) - mine said "CLKDevices" click connect.

3) In Iphone wifi settings change from DHCP to static if you do not connect and receive an IP and a connection automatically;

IP 192.168.0.5 (any ip other than .10 should work) Subnet 255.255.255.0 Router 192.168.0.10 (you can probably leave this blank)

4) In your app connect to "192.168.0.10" and "port 35000" if required.

Some users report that the wifi requires a password, mine did not as it was open, if so try 12345678.

When finished unplug the unit and reset your Iphone settings to your home wifi requirements.

Summary.

For just short of £15 this is a marvel. 4 stars as the instructions are dismal, but google is your friend! If you want to know what those nagging fault codes on your car mean, investigate misfires and so on without paying enormous garage fees or just be geeky and monitor everything except the state of the ashtray get one!"

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links