Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sunroof Drain Pipes - Where Do They Exit?

Seems I have a common problem, i.e. damp headlining around the front left corner of the sunroof. ('94 LS400)

Fortunately I've been able to dry it out reasonably effectively.

So, on the basis that the drainage pipes are blocked, I have attempted to clear them with 5mm electricians' earth sleeving. I am able to push in the sleeving to a depth of precisely 137cm before it hits something. What, I don't know - and I just cannot see where the exit point is. (I have the real service manual and I can't find this information in it.)

On the first attempt, there was a small plug of mud in the end of the sleeving, but it didn't look like enough to bung it up completely. Compressed air into the sleeve seems to flow freely.

Does anyone know where the front drain pipes emerge? A clear visual is the acid test.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Rich

They exit in the front wing crumple zone above the front wheel .There is a long plexiplastic pipe that travels down the window arch It requires the removal of the inner mudguard lining to access the end of the pipe.

............ I've only ever needed to poke through something long and thin and flexible a short distance before the free flowing water dislodges the rest .... works fine every time

Malc

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2016 at 7:58 AM, ambermarine said:

Rich

They exit in the front wing crumple zone above the front wheel .There is a long plexiplastic pipe that travels down the window arch It requires the removal of the inner mudguard lining to access the end of the pipe.

Ambermarine,

I think the pipe you are referring to is the screenwash line from the pump.

I took out the entire wheelarch liner today - with some difficulty - and nowhere could I see the end of the sunroof drain hose.  Putting it all back was even more of a pig of a job - requiring all parts and clips to be in the right place concurrently.  (Believe me, I was not in a good mood!)

I resorted to pouring water down the drain inlets with the aid of a small funnel and a combination of sleeving/tubing.  Initially it wouldn't clear.  However, after actually blowing down the pipe it eventually would.  Therefore I hope I've dislodged whatever may have been causing a blockage.

I'm still none the wiser as to where this sodding pipe actually emerges.  Rather surprisingly, the water ran out of the sill seams some 30cm back from the wheelarch!  (So it would seem that the sills are the drainage channels.)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links