Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Live is250 oil change... filter won't undo

Use a long breaker bar. (but don't blame me if that breaks something!)

You can get a spray can called 'Shock and Unlock' from Halfords - it's a freezer spray. That might work - it's good on things like stuck caliper bleed screws.

Bad luck - a bit of light tapping should get the filter tool off. I don't think you can blame Toyota - they specify a torque setting which people ignore. A torque wrench is a vital part of any tool kit these days (together with enough of a workshop manual to tell you what the correct torque settings are). It does seem to be quite common for the filter housing to be wound up really tight - and they get tighter during the interval between services.

Someone on here took the whole housing and mount off, having bought a new one. He did manage to get the housing and mount parted I think - whether either was usable again I don't know.

I think you're going to have to go to a garage - or at least get a new filter housing before you do something really drastic!

last summer I had the same problem with my oil change, put up exactly the same post. My oil removal tool got stuck also.

You need the correct removal tool for this, with the correct number of notches. I had to get my car to my mate back home who had a ramp, he took off the stuck on removal tool and used the correct one to take the housing off.

You are dead right in saying its a balls up by toyota/lexus in designing that oil sump/filter housing.

I have ...well had the 3 notch tool. to be honest no matter what way I put it on, it felt the same. I don't know what the 3 cut outs are for.

Yes lying on the floor. the 3/8 inch breaker bar broke the aluminium tool. 

John yes I could have used a 27mm socket but there isn't enough room for any adapter or even my 1/2 inch beaker bar.

I have a tool that when you tighten on filter it claws it. I didn't want to use that as I don't want to damage the housing.

But it's very very tight. I don't have a lexus near by. Do you guys think kwik fit will have the tool? If no the other option is to travel to Toyota (not lexus). 

I don't think the three claw type will work anyway and as you say might damage the housing.

A Toyota garage will do - several Toyota models use the same filter housing and tool. They will have the tool and the technique for releasing really tight housings.

That's a shame. So what you are saying I am not able to change oil of this car myself. 

John says 18ft lb. And for any normal filter you tighten it by one hand and make it hand tight. 

For sure someone used a ratchet to tighten this thing and over did it. last service was by lexus.

im not saying you are not able, what I am saying is that you wont get that off lying on your arse, you need to get it onto a ramp. Also you need the proper tool to bite the socket, i dont know if you have used it? Its weird that lexus over did that.

If it is tightened to 18ft lbs and no more, it will be simple to get off next time. But it looks as if you'll need a new tool. And a ramp is always a good idea - much safer than any other method of raising the car, and you certainly can't change the oil without raising it. I guess you've had it on your jack and, I hope, axle stands - that ought to be OK.

I'd get a garage to loosen the filter for you this time - you don't want to break another tool.

BTW - most filters have a torque setting these days - the 'hand-tight' thing is a rule of thumb which has been OK in the past but has now been superceded.

John

Yes, the car was raised using a floor jack and then axel stands used on either side. What type of ramps are you referring to John? The lift the whole car type ones ? 

If it's those drive on type ramps, then surely axel stands work the same ...? 

Yes it's beyond me this time. Even though I know the tool broke because I used breaker bar and pulled it while sitting in front of the car(legs under the car). Which may have given it an angle. But even that the filter should not have been this tight.

Felt sad I couldn't manage this on a nice day.

Thanks.

the car needs to be on a ramp, fully over your head. Then you can exert enough force to get that oil socket off, you are just going to make the job worse if you dont get to a ramp. I would leave it alone and take to a garage.

toffee

Yes ramps would allow more force and even a longer breaker bar. You are spot on on saying enough force. While I applied all my strength,  there is no way it could have been applied without an angle. And angle is force lost and tool.broken.

It just robs the DIY thing from it. Does anyone here change oil them self ?

there are some jobs where you need proper tools, this being one of them. Unfortunately the over torqued oil housing means it will be practically impossible to remove yourself, been there myself a year ago.

I never even attempt to do service on my is220d, had this garage who charged me £20 to service, I supplied parts and even stamped my book.no hassle took them 20 mins.had a mobile mechanic come to do service but didn't even have right tool to open filter housing.tried with big grips but gave up, garage charged me 20, thier tool was broken, used biggest grips they had @ it opened, he told me if car is hot it won't open due to pressure.had it done twice only cost me 70 for service, is it really worth all the hassle for 20.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links