Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hill Start Assist

Centre100

Just changed from a Toyota Auris Excel hybrid that had Hill Start Assist which I liked a lot.  When used, a beep and warning light on the dash to indicate it was set, lifting the foot off the brake after 2 seconds if the accelerator wasn't pressed a double bleep was issued.

Now the proud owner of a new (2016) CT200h Luxury.  The manuals (both paper and electronic) do say it comes with Hill Start assist.  So far I'm not convinced it is fitted, as I don't get a visual or sound indication.

The specification of all versions of the current CT200h have it fitted as standard. The sales person didn't think it was fitted.

Anyone else got this model and can confirm either way.

Not a big issue but would like to know either way.

Thanks

Don't have the same model as you but when I m9ved to a ct200h ithe took me a while to find the hill start assist. It requires a solid press of the brake pedal all the way down. Then I get the single and double beep.

As above, stop the car by putting your foot on the brake and then once stopped push down much harder and further (like you are doing an emergency stop) and it should then beep to confirm and the traction control light will flash. You can then move your foot over to the accelerator and it will beep to warn it is releasing after 2 seconds.

Took me a few tries to work it out but once learned it becomes intuitive and much easier than faffing about with the foot operated parking brake!

if it has fitted, push the brake(not the one for parking) firmly to the end, then you can hear beeps and see a sign on the dash. My ct is 2015 made and fitted with that funtion,which is quite useful in the UK(Hiiiiiiilllls!) But I got a replaced car from the dealer last year (16Reg), and I was suprised it did not have that function......So maybe Lexus has removed from the car...possiblely...

10 hours ago, chenh said:

if it has fitted, push the brake(not the one for parking) firmly to the end, then you can hear beeps and see a sign on the dash. My ct is 2015 made and fitted with that funtion,which is quite useful in the UK(Hiiiiiiilllls!) But I got a replaced car from the dealer last year (16Reg), and I was suprised it did not have that function......So maybe Lexus has removed from the car...possiblely...

I believe all CTs have hill-start assist, all grades from launch in 2011.

The current models (2015 facelift) have the same automatic system fitted to the IS. You don't have to press the pedal hard, the vehicle automatically detects it is on a hill and engages hill-assist when you release the brake pedal. It will hold for 2 seconds. You don't get any audible confirmation/warning.

• Like 1

Hi All

I've been back to the main dealer and I can confirm Colin's reply.  My car is 2016 (just in from Japan).  There is no longer a bleep or flashing light to confirm Hill Start Assist is set - now fully automatic.  It just works.

On 24/05/2016 at 8:29 AM, ColinBarber said:

I believe all CTs have hill-start assist, all grades from launch in 2011.

The current models (2015 facelift) have the same automatic system fitted to the IS. You don't have to press the pedal hard, the vehicle automatically detects it is on a hill and engages hill-assist when you release the brake pedal. It will hold for 2 seconds. You don't get any audible confirmation/warning.

oh...really? my car is just 1 year old ( reg last year in May)..............

• 4 months later...
On 22/05/2016 at 1:32 PM, colin79666 said:

As above, stop the car by putting your foot on the brake and then once stopped push down much harder and further (like you are doing an emergency stop) and it should then beep to confirm and the traction control light will flash. You can then move your foot over to the accelerator and it will beep to warn it is releasing after 2 seconds.

Took me a few tries to work it out but once learned it becomes intuitive and much easier than faffing about with the foot operated parking brake!

Hello Colin. Can you please explain what you have to do. I tried this and I get one beep and the traction light flashes. I then get a double beep and the car no longer holds.

The double beep is after 2secs or so.

Thanks COLIN

Colin...

Hi Colin

The single beep and traction control light is it working. You then have about 2 seconds to move your foot over to the accelerator while the car holds the brakes for you. It will only hold a for a short time, the double beep is it warning it is now releasing the brakes.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2016 at 10:17 AM, colin79666 said:

Hi Colin

The single beep and traction control light is it working. You then have about 2 seconds to move your foot over to the accelerator while the car holds the brakes for you. It will only hold a for a short time, the double beep is it warning it is now releasing the brakes.

Oh okay. On my mercedes it holds until you want it to. Thought this worked the same. But now I understand. 

Thanks Colin

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but just out of interest does anyone know how the Hill Start Assist works? I had assumed for a long time that an electric current was fed through the electric motors to hold the car stationary until you pressed the accelerator and the car began to move forward.

But I drove a Citroen C4 a while ago which also had Hill Start Assist. It wasn't hybrid, just had a petrol engine. So the car must have been held by the brake pads. This made me wonder if it was the brakes rather than the electric motors which hold the Lexus hybrid models when starting on a hill.

Does anyone know which it is?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links