Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX350 MOT advisories advice

Hello all,

First time post, looking to buy an RX350 and after some advice. Found a car that seems to meet all requirements, but a check on the MOT history shows the following advisories on the last MOT.

• Advisory notice item(s)

Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b)
    rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
    Power steering pump has slight seepage from a seal (2.3.3b)
    Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) has slight seepage (2.3.3b)
    nearside front lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    offside front lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    rear Anti-roll bar corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)
    nearside rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (2.4.A.3)
    offside rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (2.4.A.3)
    nearside rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)
    offside rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)
    rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)

I'm not averse to refreshing suspension components on any car of an age and mileage, but the sub-frame corroded bits seem a bit awry for a Lexus. Are these problems common to the model or does this sound like one to avoid (maybe spent it's life on the coast)? My spidey senses are telling me to leave it well alone, but it's the right spec, colour, price etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    llestik

There have been a few posts lately about mot advisories, in particular regarding corrosion.

My car had a corrosion advisory, which had miraculously cleared 12 months later at the same garage, with the same tester, so if the vehicle you are considering is in the same condition as mine, no worries.

However, you obviously need to check the areas for yourself, just to be sure that it's not potentially serious.

How does the 'MOT' reconcile with the service history?

Has it been loved, or is it being 'off-loaded'?

I've been through a similar process to yourself whilst looking for an RX300 and my thoughts on the advisories list are:

parking brake - it's common to find faults here as they are rarely used. An adjustment / cleaning / refurb of the mechanism will more than likely resolve the issue.

brake pads - needs no explanation.

power steering pump - I found a genuine Toyota seal rebuild kit for about £15 on eBay (US).

suspension bushes - these do degrade and if you're ok with suspension rebuilds are a fairly easy fix. I remember watching a lower control arm rebuild on an RX and I think they said that it was simpler to change the entire lower control arm Take a look here:

anti-roll bar - fairly common for these to corrode. A bit of treatment and a lick of paint will sort it out. It's not like they are flimsy and will rust through!

And finally, the only point that would concern me....

subframe corrosion - this could be anything from a light coating of rust to something a bit more serious. The only way to really find out is to take a look yourself. A lot of the time MOT engineers won't even mention these thing but sometimes they have a day when they do! 

My advice is if the car really does tick all the boxes for you then take a look at it as it could literally be of no concern whatsoever and very easily fixed. However if it is a seaside car and the old 'tin worm' has got a proper hold then I'd agree that it's probably best to walk away!

I hope that helps and that you find the 'right car' soon!

• Like 1

I think you'll find they will all be in a similar condition corrosion wise unless they come from a dry climate. MOT testers seem to advise on anything these days to avoid comeback. RX's don't seem as well protected as other Lexus models from what I've seen, which seems strange - well certainly nowhere near as good as my old LS.

Pete

Agree with robski.

Most of the issues highlighted in the MOT are not very serious but likewise, the subframe corrosion needs prioritising.

Could be a car thats spent its time on gritted roads without frequent washing.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links