Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2007 LS460 Front Door Moulding

Prior to purchasing my car I did see the "blisters" in the plastic chromed trim of the driver's door lower moulding and was surprised to see it nevertheless.  A minor defect and reminded me of my teenage years fighting acne.    All the other chromed plastic trims in the door/wing mouldings were perfect but for some reason the chrome plating had lifted and bubbled.  Pin holes  I thought and moisture getting in behind the chromed trim.    I had agreed the price of £14000 with Lexus of Carlisle who had already carried out a 60K service, fitted new discs and pads front and rear, 3 new tyres and given it their 12 month Lexus used car warranty within that price.  

They said they couldn't spend any more money on the car prior to sale as the margin on the car made it just profitable for them to retail the car.   I accepted their argument and ultimately went to my local dealer in Leeds to price a new moulding hoping the chromed bit might be separate.  Alas no, the moulding was a one piece part and is £300 incl vat.  After picking myself up off the floor I went home and got straight onto E bay.    Found one in the USA in black and bought it for £42 including shipping. No import duty or extra taxes so got a real bargain.  I'm just about to have it painted in Siena red after wet sanding some light scratches out of the black paintwork.   It's obvious now that the main body of the door moulding is painted prior to the fitting of the chromed trim and the small lugs holding it all together are fused with a heat gun or hot iron, hence not being able to buy the chromed section separately. 

Not sure if this problem is a common fault or just a one off.  Anyway that's just about the last job I needed to do to this lovely car.  You can just  make out the bubbling effect in the chrome compared to the second hand part.  Moreover I'm able to press the bubbled area and they move about suggesting moisture is trapped under the chrome strip.    

A.JPG

B.JPG

• Like 1

I've the same problem on one of my chrome door trims, was like that when I bought it from Lexus Sheffield, never noticed it initially but did phone for a quote on a new one and have decided to just put up with it ....stupid price for a bit of trim my quote was higher tho

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links