Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all.

As you guys are no doubt aware, the IS is a pain for AUX integration since you have to manual start and stop it, and it has no car controls.

I know there are some old threads on the subject, but I was wondering if there has been any advances recently for this?

Also, I keep seeing mention of a Ipod Integration Kit from Lexus, but I can't find any info on it?  Do Lexus offer an option?

Thanks.

Lexus had this as an option beginning with 2009, SE-i and other models with Advanced Navigation. I certainly had it in mine 2012 F-Sport.

If Lexus has an option to retrofit it - NO. You can try to find breaker with Advanced Navigation Head unit which has BT+Aux+USB (~£600) and retrofit the whole unit. You can try online kits (£120-300), but I cannot advise if they work (they all claim full integration, but who knows).

Thanks Linas.

Well, it is a shame that it is for the facelift only.  No, I don't plan any headunit swaps.

I assume that on the later models with the Lexus kit fitted it was full integration?

Yeah, I have seen a few online kits about, which is why I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience. 

Not sure.  From what I remember the box fools the car into thinking you have an autochanger fitted and plays straight from the iPod with full control through the head unit and also from the steering wheel.  Their customer service is really good and helpful, and will answer all of your questions.

8 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Thanks Ian.

One thing though, did it automatically stop and start the Ipod when turning the car on and off?

For me, that is the biggest annoyance.

I guess it depends to which loom you wire it to. If you wire it to the loop which is off when the car is off it will work that way.

You don't need to do any wiring.  Just unplug the cable connector from the back of the head unit and the connector that comes supplied with the box piggy backs onto the back of that one.  Once it is all plugged back in again, the system works as normal.  So yes it does respond to the ignition.

The hardest part was getting the head unit out, but a search on here will reveal how to do that.

Sorry to labour the point Ian, but are you saying that he Ipod would automatically stop and start with the ignition?

Also, I assume you would lose the use of the autochanger?

Thanks.

I know Linas said the Lexus kit was for facelift cars, but there is this thread from 2007-2008 where a bunch of people have them fitted?

I think I will give the dealer a call tomorrow and see what's what.

Indeed interesting. It seems like it is connecting as "external CD changer"... so quite similar to aftermarket adapters.

What I know for sure is that pre-facelift models simply don't have interface in the back to connect proprietary lead which ends with female USB 2.0. Hence if you want "as in face lift" you have to get whole unit. That is because in face lift models, you don't have iPod dock as such, you simply plug it into USB and it is recognised there + you can connect android phone, usb stick or external drive, or simply charge anything that is charging via USB. If I have overlooked this as "Lexus genuine retrofit".. it was because I don't care much about proprietary ipod interface, but rather like for like retrofit which brings versalite USB connection, like in post face lift.

But I guess that is what you looking for anyway, so why not... 

True, it would be better if it was a generic USB connector, but since I don't see myself using anything other than my Ipod for the foreseeable future, it would indeed fit my needs.

I too am surprised that the official Lexus item uses the CD/DVD changer connection since this seems like a bit of a botch, while also losing the use of the changer.

Also, it might be quite expensive as I have found a page on the Lexus site that claims it is £285.

The thing is, since I have an extended warranty, I don't want to risk anything by going aftermarket.  Might be worth just stomaching the cost and letting Lexus sort it out.  I will see what they say tomorrow.

That is right, I am not saying it is bad thing. If you only need iPod connection and it gives you only iPod connection... problem is pretty much solved. As you have warranty it obviously makes sense to have it done by Lexus. Obviously, all depends on how long you planning to keep the car as well.

In other hand for £285 I would probably make myself happy with just Aux-in.. 

I can confirm that with this unit, the iPod will start / stop with the ignition and the iPod will also be charged whilst connected  so no need to remove the iPod at all.  Once it is connected via the standard iPod cable it does everything you would expect from the head unit, with full control available via either the head unit or the steering wheel controls.

You simply select the iPod input from the head unit and play away.  Artists, songs etc can be searched for and selected as with an auto changer

Like I said earlier, give them a call.  They are very helpful and will answer all of your questions.

As an aside, when I sold the car I removed the box I had and sold it on eBay and recovered £50 of the original £120 I paid for it.

Money well spent in my view.

Ive never seen the Lexus aftermarket system so cannot comment on that one, but I can certainly vouch for the connects2 system.

And before anybody asks, I have no connection with the company at all, just offering the friendly advice that was asked for in the original post.

Thanks Ian and Linas.

You both make good points.

I actually wish I had done it sooner so I could have got potentially more usage out of it.

Like Linas said, I am not sure how long I will have the car for, and £285 is a lot of money. 

I actually didn't get round to calling Lexus today, so will give them a ring tomorrow.

The connect2 does sound ideal, so I will looking into that more closely as well.

My warranty is up in 8 months, and I am going to have to decide then to either renew it (£995 currently), or change the car.  Although annoyingly, 8 months is just long enough to possibility make it worthwhile.

Decisions, decisions...:smile:

Well, I just spoke to Lexus and the plot thickens.

They do still do the part, and Lexus Reading want £318 to supply and fit it.  I'm not going to spend that much.

However, they do supply the unit unfitted for £150.  That sounds more reasonable.  I should be able to get the head unit out myself without any issues, but the guy did mention that it would require some splicing of cables, which I am not so sure about.  I have done it before, but I hate messing with car electrics.

Ideally, it would be good if someone on here had fitted one themselves before and could say what was involved, but I doubt that is going to happen.

So, more dilemmas to consider. 

Ordered jrbc01 nfc Bluetooth and music player from Hong Kong for 8.88 + free p@ p, havnt received it yet. Saw on utube looks good easy to use too, just plug using ur aux on ur system, I'm actually gonna use it in my taxi. Play music using ur phone through ur stereo speakers. once receive it will update 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links