Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Oil + Oil Filter Change

HI All,

I just had a total drainout of the previous oil and a 8 litre top up of Castrol Edge 5W-30 engile oil plus getting the oil filter changed.

I used my local mechanic in North West London and the charges were:

Two 5L Bottle costing £45 each : £90

Oil Filter: £8

Labour Charge for about 30 to 40 min job (including waiting for the engine oil to be fully drained out) : £20

Total: £118

Hope this info helps. :-)

I hope for your sake he didn't put 8 litres of oil in, the handbook will tell you 5.9 Ltrs  without filter change or 6.3 ltrs with filter change. (Think this is correct without consulting manual)

this is unless you are talking about another vehicle not a 250is

and Castrol edge only comes in 4 ltr containers 

41 minutes ago, Gramera flash said:

I hope for your sake he didn't put 8 litres of oil in, the handbook will tell you 5.9 Ltrs  without filter change or 6.3 ltrs with filter change. (Think this is correct without consulting manual)

this is unless you are talking about another vehicle not a 250is

and Castrol edge only comes in 4 ltr containers 

A1 to that - also £45 for the oil ... is that London prices? Its usually available here for around £30ish but £20 labour is good.

54 minutes ago, Gramera flash said:

Referring to the price of the oil, Asda was selling Edge for £29 this week 

yeah .... £45 is expensive ... might take a trip to ASDA as an oil change for me is coming up (is it the right spec?)

HI Guys,

Sorry, you are right...It is 4Litres and he must have topped up 6 litres as I have got the remainder 2L in hand with me.

Here's the link ...http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi_A3_2.0_2004/p/Car-Parts/Engine-Parts/engine-parts1/engine-oils/?521774531&1&6a4d0508073f2a1f5f81f530186cb169e6190f7b&000398

He ordered from Euro car parts...I am sure about that...The prices are right as he shows it to me before charging me...

Perhaps it is best for me to search for the best deals & buy the parts or engine oil online and then give it to him...

HI Guys,

I found this link in amazon...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-5W-30-Engine-German-label/dp/B013DY5GY4/ref=pd_lpo_263_tr_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2DDA6GRB542NNW1S7M6E

It says 5L (German Label)...So it comes in 5L as well?

Please feel feel to correct me...

3 hours ago, Gramera flash said:

Referring to the price of the oil, Asda was selling Edge for £29 this week 

I believe the one you are referring to is 5W-40 and not 5W-30...I am sure there is a difference right?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/castrol-castrol-edge-5w-40-asda-groceries-for-29-2523565

I am just learning as well due to being a newbie to the forum as well as being an owner of a Lexus car.

That's a good price for Magnatec which is what I use.

Wow ECP have increased the Mangnatec 4lt from £28 to £39. Normally I would get 2 x 4lt then 30% off for just under £50.

I wonder if the oil would still be the same as the new A5 can says start stop technology?

I found that the Edge created unwanted engine sounds on mine so stuck to Magantec, plus Newbie did a good write up and follow up while back which was interesting.

8 hours ago, Gramera flash said:

20161008_093148.jpg 

20161008_093053.jpg

Thanks for the screenshot,mate...

I have written an email to Euro Car Parts on behalf of my mechanic, drawing their attention to ASDA prices.

I have seen they do a price match promise. But whether they refund the difference, I ain't sure...Let's see.

• Like 1

Copy of the Email Sent to Euro Carparts:-

Dear Sir/Madam,

Hope you are well.

The price of the above mentioned oil on your website is £45.99:-

Inline image 1

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/5w30-engine-oil/?521774531&0&cc5_247

In ASDA, it is only £29 each:-

Inline image 2

https://groceries.asda.com/product/oils-lubricants/castrol-edge-5w30-ll-4l/910002055528

My mechanic has bought from you 2 bottles at £45.99 each and has charged me the same. Would you be able to price match it at £29 each and refund him the difference?

I doubt it is going to work, if you ask them to price match before buying maybe... normal price for this oil is ~£36-37, ASDA's £29 is real bargain aka "nobrainer - grab it while it lasts" - it would be fair if they give you £10 off each bottle, as that woudl be standard selling price, but they won't match £29.

Bought myself 6L (4+2) of Magnatec, dated 08/2016 for just £35. It was possibly better deal to buy 4+4, but because I do oil every ~5-6k and car doesn't really drink I guess I won't have much added value from 2 liter top-up. As well it seems that every time I need to change oil I manage to wait until discounts starts in local super markets, it is discounted either in Tesco or ASDA. In worst case I go to Opie oils:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2354-lookup-results.aspx?vehicleid=8971&variantlist=98363:0,98470:0,98491:0,98794:0,98861:0,99116:0,99124:0&yearFilter=2008

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Tesco has Magnatec C3 (that is good news for IS220/200d),

2L - £7 / 4L - £18 (that is cheapest oil I have ever seen)

Titanium FST LL

2L - £9 (still extra cheap)

ASDA does have A5 and A5/start and stop

4L - £21 (made 14/10/2016)

Now I have question as well - maybe somebody knows what is the difference between "start and stop" and regular 5W30 A5?

Yes I know 2L bottles works out cheapest I have ever seen, just saying that they sell 4L  as well... I guess maybe if 2L runs out.

As well it is actually cheaper than their own budget oil... which is £10 - 2L.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links