Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bottom pulley problem

Waynesnip

Hi has anyone ever had a problem getting the bottom pulley off is200 I'm changing the head as camber went but can not get the bottom pulley off as it keeps spinning the car has no head on currently.

But just can not remove bottom pulley to get to get new belt on when I get new head on to fit belt and time up.

Thanks 

Hi and welcome ; a shame your 1st post is with a problem . The bolt securing the pulley is torqued up very tightly; as steve says a puller will remove it ,but I suspect as you say it just spins you are trying to release the nut . If this is the case you can try putting the car in gear ,have someone sit in with the brakes applied and use a long bar extension on the socket ( a piece of bar or tube to slip over ) do not use the ratchet and make sure the socket does not slip .Most professionals use a air powered hammer gun like the ones used by tyre fitters to remove wheels .battery versions are available ,and if you can gain acess to one of these it will make life much easier . I have removed these pulleys in the past and it will be TIGHT.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Wayne welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch so please don’t hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they don’t go wrong that often.

Sorry you have a problem at the beginning of your relationship with Lexus. I know someone will be around to point you in the right direction.

We always love to see pictures of your cars inside and out so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike. Bluesman.

16 hours ago, Waynesnip said:

Good evening all I haven't even got the nut out yet it is being a right pain lol and stuck as nearly on the verge of scrapping lol 

Providing you can still crank the engine over on the starter motor you could use an impact socket on the crank pulley retaining nut and a long breaker bar wedged onto the ground and then crank the engine briefly to "crack" the nut.

Many thanks all for the advise unlike other forums I've been on before very helpful and made welcome I am at my whits end with the car lol I had no Battery on the car so put the jump leads across from my range rover to the lexus but have no power what so ever on the lexus I don't know where to check as was gonna try the cranking method to undo the nut.

So to keep on posting lol I know a bit about doing cars but I am self taught ans some things like this I've become stuck.

I don't know any local mechanics to ask to try and undo for me.

Many thanks

Wayne 

Using the starter motor to undo the bottom pulley bolt works well as Steve suggested. I have used this method on many different cars, and it has not failed me yet. Just stabbing the starter a few times does the trick.

John.

Would anyone know where I can locate this fuse please to check it this car is being a pain but I'm sure when it is done it will be a nice car hopefully lol.

Thanks again for all your help with this .

Hi Wayne ,I know its frustrating ,but I Think selling it off is a bit drastic . Some of the hire firms list a portable impact wrench which would cost approx. £25 to hire ,check out if there is one close ,you would only need it for 1 day ,soak the nut in Plus gas releasing fluid first and use an impact socket .you could also buy one ! Clarke list a mains CEW 1000 at £71 this should shift nuts with a rating of 450 N m ,and gets very good reports   .good luck  Dave

I think I've managed to lens a impact gun tomorrow would It be better to put the car in gear to do this at the time ? 

I am hoping this is gonna work as wanna get it back together before Christmas as the head is still off at the moment and wanna get it up and running lol.

Rather than it just sat looking at me lol mot wasting away.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links