Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to Lexus.... now the search begins. ...

Caldean

I've been lurking around researching Lexus for a few months now , so I've now been given the OK to replace my Golf GTI which is getting on but still working fine.  My problem has been deciding which model to go for.  The IS is too small for my ex rugby playing frame, the RX too large as my daily use is urban and just for me and the missus.  So it's down to a GS or an NX.

I love the styling of the NX, so am testing one in the next few days.  It's a 2 year old Luxury in Sonic Titanium, my preferred colour and is priced at £3K below most dealers similar examples.  Concerns. ....the ride quality and cvt but after having had an S line Audi A5 and an A4 CVT,  I already have some benchmarks. 

I've also seen a similarly aged GS 300h,  but in Sonic silver, though I've been tempted by the GS450h but they're pretty thin on the ground. I'm not adverse to the GS250 as I'm not bothered about mpg. I've reached a stage in life where I'm looking for comfort,  reliability,  great dealer service,  refinement and plenty of toys.  If I want speed,  I have another toy in the garage that can give me that whenever I want. Most weeks involve mainly short town driving,  with trips of 150 miles usually about once a week,  mainly on A roads and motorways. 

If anyone has any thoughts as to which is the best model to go for or can give any pointers,  that would be much appreciated. 

I've got the itch. ..I now need the cure !! :-)

See how you like the NX first. If you are concerned about the CVT then the same applies to the GS300h and 450h although the engine noise in the GS is greatly reduced.

This may not be a factor for you if you plan to keep the vehicle for some time but the NX will hold its value better than the GS.

I had an excellent experience from a 3 years trouble free quality motoring with a GS250. It is good value as well, so I highly recommend it, just try to get an example with the big screen ML system

Thanks chaps.  I intend to keep the car for quite a few years and eventually give it to my daughter when she comes back from London in a few years time,  or let her have my wife's Mazda CX5. The GS is slightly lower down my list as the servicing seems more expensive for some reason and, as you point out, the depreciation is greater and will continue to be so. In its favour,  especially the GS 250, buying second hand they seem like a bargain,  whilst the hybrid has good mpg and is now becoming good value.  The non hybrid is probably about 10k cheaper just now, which more than makes up for the poorer mpg and higher car tax.  

I assume the GS engine noise is less due to its lighter weight and possibly better sound insulation?  

I'll let you know how the test drive goes and indeed if I can strike an acceptable deal ... 

So I've tested the NX after looking at the GS first.  I discounted the GS, lovely as it is,  partly due to the lack of practicality,  with the rear seats fixed,  partly due to it being just a bit too understated for me as well as the NX being likely to be more suitable when passing on to my daughter in future years. 

I've read just about every review and test report going on the Nx. I'm either a neanderthal or journalists just spout a load of hot air.  My benchmarks are my Golf GTI,  my wife's Mazda CX5, and previously an Audi  A5, Audi A4, Mercedes CLK, BMW 535 Touring and a Toyota Verso. 

The seats were supremely comfortable and getting a good driving position was simple.  The cvt gearbox was broadly similar to the Dsg on the Golf but certainly not that raucous or unpleasant, no doubt helped by the sound insulation.  The ride was firmish but no worse than any of my previous cars while performance was plenty for me on both the motorway and country roads. 

The infotainment system didn't cause me too much trouble,  although the sat nav might take a while to master, while the radio set up was. ..different. Given time I'll get used to all the systems,  but it certainly didn't put me off.  

In fact, I've now bought a 2014 NX 300h Luxury with navigation and convenience pack at a good price. ..picking it up next week.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

IMG_20170121_132603.jpgIMG_20170121_132535.jpgNow got my NX and absolutely love it!! It's everything I hoped it would be. OK, the sat nav may take some time to master, but I know my way around so unlikely to use it much. Only seen one other my way and it's the same colour! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links