Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am looking for a way to code/program DRL. In bmw i could use ncs expert or even mobile phone to make drl. Here there is a problem. I have techstream and there is no information about this. What about change light module from US models ? I saw that here there is no problem with retrofit, just p&p and activate, but will it work ? Or maybe is US modeles there is other light instalation than EU models ? I am not electrican so i don't want make it on universal DRL module. My friend also made a wds with DRL option for me, but i cannot check it ;)

lexus%20is%20mk2_zpstzdssn5b.jpg

Or maybe use dual LED like this ?

Actually, proper EU models (non-UK) always had "DLR" in a way. As in EU by the law you have to drive with headlight on all the time. EU Auto headlight works differently from UK. In UK models you have light sensor and when you turn lights on Auto, they automatically switches on or off based on ambient light. EU models when you switch it to Auto is pretty much dumb switch, when you turn ignition lights comes up, when you turn ignition off, they go off. EU models still have ambient light sensor, but I am not sure what it is doing, maybe adjusting dials light intensity. I don't remember if even the actual leaver is the same, I believe in EU there is no ON option, it is just OFF, Parking Lights and Auto (not 100% sure). Anyway either that or both On/Auto are programmed to do the same thing. To be fair I prefer EU way on pre-face lift non-LED DLR models, so on my UK model I always manually turn headlight ON - no light for me means car is stationary. And just generally, I consider driving without headlight even during the day - dangerous, have them ON makes huge difference for other drivers in terms of seeing you. 

Miłosz - My guess would be you need to do something with ambient light sensor for the light to ignore the ambient light and just come up as long as ignition is on. Light needs to "think" it is always dark. Actually, I have seen somebody on LS forum using photo film cover, just put it on the sensor to block sunlight and lights will always come up.

Surely one could simply disconnect the sensor? I know in the Mercedes, if the sensor goes faulty the lights come on with the ignition. I'd suggest disconnecting the windscreen mounted light sensor.

Both my MBs and my current Lexus have separate sensors for cabin/dashboard illumination and the auto headlamp function.

The two Mercedes I had both had a headlamp Constant On function (in addition to auto setting) which did as Linas mentions, headlamps on as soon as Ign on.

@NemesisUKWhat you refer as windshield mounted sensor?

As far as I understand the sensor which is on the dashboard is the one which controls both lights and dashboard illumination (as per LS topic, where blanking it achieves same result as "constant on"). I am not sure if physically disconnecting sensor is good idea, but disconnecting only headlight link especially if possible to do via body ECU should achieve the result.

@Miłosz looking back to you diagram it seems you are looking to wrong one (I don't understand how fuel pump relay is related to the topic), but I have found below one in service manual which seems to indicate there is "headlight dimmer SW" (see highlighted in yellow), which seems to be right place to start.

Untitled schema.png

I don't know how that switch looks like, but it seems just a thing for particular configuration you are after (I am actually interested my self now as I would prefer "Constant on" rather than ambient related).

10 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

@NemesisUKWhat you refer as windshield mounted sensor?

As far as I understand the sensor which is on the dashboard is the one which controls both lights and dashboard illumination (as per LS topic, where blanking it achieves same result as "constant on"). I am not sure if physically disconnecting sensor is good idea, but disconnecting only headlight link especially if possible to do via body ECU should achieve the result.

My apologies Linas, I was still thinking of the MB system where the light sensor is mounted high up on the screen behind the RVM. and is purely for the headlamp function. 

Yes, just checked my RC and the Lexus sensor is mounted on the dashboard top. :yes:

When my Ambient lighting engages, not only do the headlights come on and the dash dim, but the Satnav switches to night colours.
Not the end of the World but may be a trade off for a simple enabler of DRLs.

I am not sure that is legal, so check with local requirements. But generally speaking they are not meant for that purpose and it would be hack rather than DLR. What about using LED strips - maybe better option

a861d234de100f987dd368e2aa503ffa.jpg

Theoretically it's not legal, but i don't care i have codded my bimmer by ncs expert and i don't have any problems with police etc. I have couple  routine inspections by police and no problem :)

I have an LED headlight kit in my fog housings.

I plan to fabricate a wiring harness using some switch boxes I got from TRS in America.

Piggy back a live from something that comes on with ignition, and then run my switch trigger from the sidelights so that when the headlights are turned on or come on under auto the LEDs will go off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links