Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As I have said on here recently, I have been having DPF clogging issues. Lexus want €300 to run a regen so I went and bought the software to run myself. Will be doing so at the end of this week when it arrives. Car is unfortunately parked up until then. 

I am considering getting a new DPF (spurious - €700) at this stage. But will this actually solve the problem (at least for a good 40,000 miles or more) or is the engine just spewing out more carbon as it ages and a new DPF will clog in no time? Current mileage is 155,000 miles. 

Would welcome some opinions on this. Thanks.

• Like 1

There are two things which clog up DPFs - soot and ash. The regen only clears the soot - the ash just keeps on building. Eventually the thing gets too clogged up and you need a new one. That seems to be where you are - 155K makes it not too surprising. So a new DPF should (might?) solve the problem

Good luck!

• Like 1

Peter, how is your mileage split between highway and town use? 

From reading the experience of other IS220D owners then say 6th gear is pretty useless in the UK.  Instead they hold in 5th on the highway to get heat in the DPF which helps keep it from clogging up.

Good luck getting this sorted.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, johnatg said:

There are two things which clog up DPFs - soot and ash. The regen only clears the soot - the ash just keeps on building. Eventually the thing gets too clogged up and you need a new one. That seems to be where you are - 155K makes it not too surprising. So a new DPF should (might?) solve the problem

Good luck!

Thanks John - that's good to know, I didn't realise this was the case with soot/ash. I'll run the regen anyway and see how long I get out of it. Otherwise I'll buy a new one. 

6 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Peter, how is your mileage split between highway and town use? 

From reading the experience of other IS220D owners then say 6th gear is pretty useless in the UK.  Instead they hold in 5th on the highway to get heat in the DPF which helps keep it from clogging up.

Good luck getting this sorted.

Thanks Lee - yeah, it's mostly motorway or primary roads at 60mph. Every fuel tank I run at 3,000rpm for about ten minutes. Thought that would help but doesn't seem to be the case! I gave up on sixth gear after the last forced regen around 5,000 miles ago. I think as John said above, 155k miles might just be the tipping point for a new one.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links