Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 DOOR MIRROR GLASS REPLACEMENT

I'd like to replace the broken glass on my Pass side Door mirror. 

Is it possible to remove the original and transfer the backing plate to the basic glass I've bought? 

How does the glass come out?

I've moved the position to have the bottom sticking out but it doesn't seem to shift upward.  How does it clip (?) in?

Thanks

30 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I'd like to replace the broken glass on my Pass side Door mirror. 

Is it possible to remove the original and transfer the backing plate to the basic glass I've bought? 

How does the glass come out?

I've moved the position to have the bottom sticking out but it doesn't seem to shift upward.  How does it clip (?) in?

Thanks

The mirror backing plate pulls out and upwards often taking some force to remove. Use some cloths under the bottom edge of the back plate with it tilted to it's uppermost position. Use as many fingers as you can under the bottom edge.
The mirror is just stuck on the back plate with double sided tape. There are usually some wires attached to the mirror for heating and perhaps dimming if your mirrors dim at night.

John.

As above, yellow duster behind the bottom part coming out at the sides, sharply tug and the mirror should release from the bottom clips, lift up the mirror to disengage the 2 top hooks from the mechanism.

Stuart, if my memory serves me the earlier ( than mine even ) door mirrors were neither dipping nor heated nor auto moving.

If you wanted a simple new glass to stick over the exisiting then I can give you the name etc of the brilliant small company in the UK that cuts to your drawn template if they don't have one already.

My Honda Legend replacement glass cost £20 all-up and simply sticks on

Malc

Many thanks for the replies.

Car being a 93 the inner glass moves but not the whole Wing Mirror housing (by electric). Not sure if its heated?  My mechanic suggested best to just stick on a glass rather than attempt to remove it, as after 25 years things become brittle and break.(The vutube I watched one clip had broken) 

I bought a cheapy £5 mirror and I can see its not exact spec to the outer frame of the existing which is a pity. (would have preferred marginally undersize to oversize)   I'll use the sticky backs and stick it on for now as MOT this Friday and cracked glass a no no even if passenger side.

hahahaha ............  I must have forgotten more than I thought about my Mk1 and Mk2 cars .............  my Mk3 mirrors heat up and the glass moves too ... the Honda Legend does dipping and dimming too ........

The replacement glass mirror providers did a good job cutting  exact to my template            glass and sticky pads provided ...  £20 all-up

Malc

Being JDM my 1994 model has folding mirrors, heated and shaky shaky mirror glasses which cause water droplets to fall down off the mirror plus the passenger side dips down when reverse is selected.....well ahead of UK specification for it’s time.

A032F736-6952-40F7-B809-C5AFFB61B949.jpeg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links