Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I noticed the other day that when the needles do their 'sweep' on start up they make abit of a noise when doing it, perhaps this is normal and I am comparing it to my previous Audi A5 where although you could hear them sweep, it was far less noisy.

Can anyone tell me if yours are the same? 

4 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

So, during the first couple of seconds of operation, the Audi is ahead on quietness of needle sweep.  If that's all you can find, I think you're on to a winner with your Lexus 😉

Most certainly not a complaint on the Lexus part, the car blows the Audi out the water! 

But should I be concerned that perhaps the little motors operating the needles are on their way out? Are yours completely silent? I just want to know if it's normal or not 😊

Haha, I was being flippant Michael.  My RX doesn't flex the needles on start up.  I had a couple of ISs previously and I don't recall hearing a needle sweep noise.  It's functional for you, personally I wouldn't worry unless the sweeping needles cease to operate.

11 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Haha, I was being flippant Michael.  My RX doesn't flex the needles on start up.  I had a couple of ISs previously and I don't recall hearing a needle sweep noise.  It's functional for you, personally I wouldn't worry unless the sweeping needles cease to operate.

🙈 I know I know 😁

I can't recall hearing it when I bought the car and I just found all of a sudden the noise is there so got me thinking if this is the way they are or not, like you say not to worry unless they cease to work 😳

Mine are making a bit of "noise" as they go all the way-up and then back again on start-up... did in all 3x IS250 mk2's (one from new) I had - it is normal. But one need to be particularly focused on the needles to hear it. I guess Audi needles made no noise, because they were not doing that initial sweep - all the way-up and then down?

You better be careful, some things cannot be unseen!

Hardly audible, if you turn everything off e.g. A/C, ventilation, seat cooling, wipers .... it is probably just still quieter then injectors ticking. I guess best way to hear it - do not turn the engine on, simply press start button twice to turn the ignition first and see "needle dance"... and you should do it on quiet day as well! 😄 

edit - best way turns out to be:

> press start twice for everything to turn on, then turn everything off so it gets completely quiet

> press start to turn ignition off

> press start once and wait until everything stops e.g. steering wheel retracts

> press ignition second time and then you can hear the sound - note the buzzing sound of complete quietness just before and how loud is retracting steering wheel just after:

On 9/11/2018 at 8:19 PM, Linas.P said:

Mine are making a bit of "noise" as they go all the way-up and then back again on start-up... did in all 3x IS250 mk2's (one from new) I had - it is normal. But one need to be particularly focused on the needles to hear it. I guess Audi needles made no noise, because they were not doing that initial sweep - all the way-up and then down?

When the Audi did it you could very slightly hear them do it but nothing like this Lexus does, I think mine is noisier than others from what I've seen.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:43 PM, Wisty said:

I'm going to have to check mine now...  I think they're silent - at least I've never noticed them make a noise.

How audible is it? 🤔

I've posted a video above, check it out, it's really obvious on there, like a small grinding noise....

3 hours ago, IS250Mike said:

When the Audi did it you could very slightly hear them do it but nothing like this Lexus does, I think mine is noisier than others from what I've seen.

Have you watched my video? Is it any different from yours? 

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Have you watched my video? Is it any different from yours? 

No I can't seem to be able to watch it, I've pressed on it but no video plays, the same happened with mine so I ended up doing it through youtube above. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links