penguinpaul

Changing shock absorbers to soften the ride

I've got a 2011 SE-L, and the ride is very hard.
I've heard that they softened the suspension setup on the facelift model, so I'm wondering if anyone has fitted shock absorbers from the facelift model (or perhaps aftermarket) to a pre-facelift in order to soften the ride. (If they're even compatible)
I've downsized to 16" alloys for winter, and that's helped, but would love to go back to the factory 17s for summer.

Anyone done anything like this?

Cheers,
Paul

They significantly stiffened the chassis in 2014 with new welds which then allowed for the suspension to be softened slightly. Doing one without the other might have adverse results.

Would you have access to a facelift model to try it before committing to spend on yours?

i've driven the facelift model as a courtesy car and the ride didn't feel soft

imo its still quiet firm so personally i wouldn't bother, my advice to you is to

go and test drive a new model and see how the car feels

I had heard that they'd added some new welds, but was hoping that it wasn't anything too significant. My 2003 Fiat Stilo I had before this rode like a Rolls Royce in comparison! (with the same profile tyres) Comfy and smooth, with little body roll, so I would hope I could go a bit softer on the CT without compromising badly on handling.

However if the facelift models aren't that much better, then perhaps it's not the way forward. Unfortunately my closest dealer (and any garage with a facelift CT) is a 130 mile round trip, so I'm not sure I'll be able to do that quite yet.
Maybe aftermarket will be an option.