Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Engine rattle

9 minutes ago, Stevie1529 said:

Hi, anyone ever had issues with what sounds like a timing chain rattle on start up for about two seconds?

15,000 miles 2015 is300h       The oil level is spot on 

thanks. Stevie 

A5EECDFB-F431-4133-9A07-8E2F1ACDFF7A.jpeg

I  think most modern cars have a slight "rattle" on first cold start, probably more pronounced in winter - usually to do with oil circulating to hydraulic tappets etc. I believe

My IS300H is the same. There is a metal heatshield over the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe. Although all bolts are tight the metal assembly still wobbles about. I enquired at my local dealer if this was normal and was informed "that they are all like that". Perhaps the assembly expands as it heats up to form a tighter fit?

You could try removing the said heat shield for a short time just to confirm weather it is the culprit or not!

note, if the heat shield is aluminium then you may gets some galvanic ( dis-similar metals in contact ) corrosion at the (steel) fixing points and it will be these that will enlarge and make the shield go loose. Remedy is to fix with copper washers to act as a barrier.

paul m.

i noticed this a few years ago and on both the is's i have had

i have tightened the metal inserts up to clamp the heat shield,

i kept the heat shield on the car i just removed the bolts to gain access

please see sketch below

heatshield.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links