Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Tailgate

I was told that if I had the tow bar fitted the kick sensor would be disabled. From the diagram it looks like they're effectively cable-tying it up out of the way on top of that rear bar, which would explain why it wouldn't be able to sense anything...

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I now have a 100% success rate. I literally move my foot in a kicking motion until my foot almost touches the underside of the rear curved plastic of the car, and then return my foot back to the ground - literally as though I'm slowly kicking the car up the backside. Works every time.

Nick

Just now, Moleman said:

You sound as if you are enjoying that too much. 😂

Hah! Indeed. But the feature is super handy. I used to make fun of such features as being examples of solutions in search of a problem, but if you've ever walked back to the car carrying an awkward box or something that you'd prefer not to put down on the floor, being able to unlock the car and open the boot hands-free is very handy...

Nick

• Like 1

Hi, as a future UX Takumi owner (waiting delivery)  I am intrigued by this posting, seems to be different opinions as to whether the kick feature is still fitted or not. The video demo seems to be a USA one.

Bill D.

10 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

Hi, as a future UX Takumi owner (waiting delivery)  I am intrigued by this posting, seems to be different opinions as to whether the kick feature is still fitted or not. The video demo seems to be a USA one.

Bill D.

Huh...I mean, my salesman assured me that nothing had been removed, as I didn't want any surprises in that regard. I guess I'll find out on Saturday and will report back! I can't think of a reason they'd remove such a feature...

Nick

Looking at the latest online brochure for the UX.

The 300e Takumi has the power tailgate with kick.

The 250h Takumi seems to have not only lost the kick function but also the power back door.

Must be a mis-print (online) as the Premium Plus has the power back door but without kick.

B80624D4-779D-4F36-AECF-5F7E711B6BF6.png

AF8548EA-AF2D-434D-859C-54D072C6D7A0.png

4 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

Bill D.

It is Bill but they are very good. They do what they call Tech Tip Tuesday. They actually do a good full UX tutorial if you havent seen it well worth the watch.

So! I have a definitive answer on this one, courtesy of my dealer.

The power tailgate's kick function is only standard on Takumi models, but dependent on model you can also get it with some of the premium or takumi packs. The reason they dug this paperwork out is because I collected my new F-Sport Takumi on saturday, and I noticed during the handover that my kick function didn't work. Cue a lot of searching of paperwork and even a quick trip into the workshop for their techs to talk to the on-board computer. Basically, I should have it...but Lexus may have forgotten to install it...

I'm awaiting a call...

Nick

IMG_6595.JPG

Very interesting Nick. I have never tried mine because I was told on hand over last September that it was no longer fitted. Just phoned Lexus Bristol and they confirmed Takumi models should indeed have the kick function. I have just tried several times and nothing so as suggested I am going to call in for a plug in diagnostic. Will let you know the outcome.

• Like 1

Just now, Richard1200 said:

Very interesting Nick. I have never tried mine because I was told on hand over last September that it was no longer fitted. Just phoned Lexus Bristol and they confirmed Takumi models should indeed have the kick function. I have just tried several times and nothing so as suggested I am going to call in for a plug in diagnostic. Will let you know the outcome.

That, too, is very interesting! The fact that my dealer didn't catch it during the PDI suggests that it's not tested for and that maybe dealerships don't have consistent messaging from corporate. Please let me know what you find out, and i'll do the same! I found the feature very useful on my previous UX, and I'll be annoyed if they removed a feature after I ordered it...

Nick

If the dealership check if the power / data plug (to Y1) and wiring are fitted, then I wonder if it would be a big job to order the unit (Y1) and sensor wiring.

A session on a Lexus diagnostic could enable the kick function.

Maybe worth asking the dealer.

75794882-38C6-44D9-A583-4C7FC269D29C.jpeg

14 hours ago, duotone said:

If the dealership check if the power / data plug (to Y1) and wiring are fitted, then I wonder if it would be a big job to order the unit (Y1) and sensor wiring.

A session on a Lexus diagnostic could enable the kick function.

Maybe worth asking the dealer.

75794882-38C6-44D9-A583-4C7FC269D29C.jpeg

I don't think they disassembled anything, me partner and I were waiting in the handover room and I can imagine that they were desperate not to "ruin the moment". It was embarrassing enough for them as it was! I have every confidence that Lexus UK will instruct them to bring it back and order the necessary parts. Alternatively, maybe I'll just suggest they offer me the tow hitch for free, as that would require them to remove/disable the kick sensor in any case, and then I could fit a remote bicycle carrier...

But I did really find that kick feature incredibly useful!

Nick

My Takumi does NOT have the kick sensor fitted. It was built mid 2021, registered September 2021. The service department have done a diagnostic check and cannot find an on/off circuit which means it’s not there. The dealership are going to get me an answer.

Came away with a lovey clean car so worth a visit and a chance to look around the new site. 

Who has a late 2021/2022 Takumi with the kick function?

34 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

My Takumi does NOT have the kick sensor fitted. It was built mid 2021, registered September 2021. The service department have done a diagnostic check and cannot find an on/off circuit which means it’s not there. The dealership are going to get me an answer.

Came away with a lovey clean car so worth a visit and a chance to look around the new site. 

Who has a late 2021/2022 Takumi with the kick function?

That tracks with what my dealer said. They were confused because the computer said it wasn't there, yet the master build sheet (the thing I photographed further up) said that it should definitely be installed.

I'm expecting a call back tomorrow with an update, so I'll report back then! As you say, it might be interesting to find out if there's anyone with the latest generation cars that does have the feature working...

Nick

5 hours ago, EvilRacer329 said:

yet the master build sheet (the thing I photographed further up) said that it should definitely be installed.

That's not a build sheet, it's a marketing spec sheet - with the normal we reserve the right to change specification, equipment and availability without prior notice disclaimer.

• Sad 1

Still waiting for a call back but I was told when I picked the car up it was not fitted with a kick function so what am I expecting?

I am logging out and deleting  this app. Goodbye everybody. 

I've been promised a call back by the end of the day, I gather the issue is logged with Lexus UK. In my case I specifically confirmed that there wasn't anything I would lose in switching to a newer model, so if the dealer screwed up then it's on them.

Worst-case scenario, if it can't be retro-fitted, then I'll get them to install a tow hitch instead. I never got around to it on my last car (and still hadn't decided if I need it on this one) but at least then I'll have a reason for not having the kick sensor and will be able to tow small trailers to boot.

Nick

Spoke to a releative yesterday who had just bought a new Skoda electric car with kick feature electric tailgate. Interestingly he could not get it to work so took it back to dealers who asked him to show them how he did it. Told him he had to take step back otherwise sensors would not allow the boot lid to rise.

Bill D.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links