Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

Looking for some advice as to what wheels I can get for my 2006 is250. It has 17inch on it at the moment but they don't seem to fill the arches and look small, I have been looking at second hand sets with tyres but there don't seem to be many available or they are the other side of the country! I just want something normal.. Not deep dish or purple! (I'm 56 and a grown up now) any ideas folks cheers 

Malc

The choice is yours to be honest, what might be to the liking of one may not be to the liking of another.You can get 18in wheels, i have the f sport with staggered ie 225.40.18's on the front and 255.40.18's on the rear.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

The wheels themselves are either 16/17/18” with a PCD of 114.3 5 stud, this type is used on many Japanese cars but you need to factor in various other parameters like offset  and bore.

The problem is the tyres now days tend to be low profile like 40 or 45 series which is essentially the ratio between the width of the tyre tread and the sidewall height so put simply a 225/40 tyre has a tread width of 225mm and a sidewall height 40% of 225 so around 90mm.

This makes the wheel and tyre combination look small within the arches.

Fitting a larger wheel does not necessarily mean it fills the arches more, OK the rim is 1” bigger but if you fit the same type tyre there will be no change in tyre height between a 225/40/17 and a 225/40/18.

The only way is to fit a tyre with a higher aspect ratio so for example a 225/50 tyre would give an increased sidewall height to 125mm from 90mm but then you may run into whether these tyres are recommended on the rims.

Another option is to lower the suspension but this is expensive plus it will only close the top wheel arch gap not the front and rear gaps.

The only way is to fit a tyre with a higher aspect ratio so for example a 225/50 tyre would give an increased sidewall height to 125mm from 90mm but then you may run into whether these tyres are recommended on the rims.”

Will this affect the speedo in the car if it takes its info from the gearbox increasing the rolling wheel diameter?

To better fill the arches you need to consider lowering the car... I gone from 17s to 18s wheels and it didn't make much difference in how it filled the arches, yet made the car to look higher. I think 18s are as big as you can get without lowering the car and still looking alright, but you definitely need to lower it for 19s and even on 18s it would fit arches better with slight drop.

Thanks for comments guys.. I think I will just keep my eyes open for a set of 18"s, maybe with chunkier tyres?  It seems odd that this size of (luxury) car has 16"s and 17"s as standard! 

Actually, I don't think it is odd... Perhaps today when we got used to 22s on SUVs and now it seems that even entry level models run 18s it looks that way. However, back in 2005-2006 -17s were standard from most Audis, BMWs and MBs. Further, Lexus has 18s as well... in sport and f-sport trims. Truth to be told 17s are far more comfortable, quieter and fuel efficient than 18s + tyres are cheaper. The only positive of bigger wheels is the looks of the car.

Finally, if we consider that Lexus markets IS as sporty car, then perhaps 18s suits better, but IS250 in particular is not that sporty and 17s provides good balance between luxury and comfort. I am not trying to discourage you from getting 18s... I did it myself (IS mk3 F-sport wheels), but I just don't think it was odd to have 17s to begin with.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:52 PM, Ma1co1m said:

Thanks for comments guys.. I think I will just keep my eyes open for a set of 18"s, maybe with chunkier tyres?  It seems odd that this size of (luxury) car has 16"s and 17"s as standard! 

My 18's have just been listed on the forum.

Special Genuine F Sport.

20200201_200210.jpg

On 2/16/2020 at 1:53 PM, Texas said:

The only way is to fit a tyre with a higher aspect ratio so for example a 225/50 tyre would give an increased sidewall height to 125mm from 90mm but then you may run into whether these tyres are recommended on the rims.”

Will this affect the speedo in the car if it takes its info from the gearbox increasing the rolling wheel diameter?

It could do but there are website where you can put in the original tyre sizes and the proposed ones and it will calculate the difference for speed errors.

• 2 months later...

So.. Managed to get a set of 18".. "G spider" rims with 235/40/18 tyres, would benefit from a refurb when the world gets back to normal! Where is the best place to advertise my 17"s?

OK.. So I can't seem to find the for sale section on here? Can find cars for sale and archive, but nothing for wheels? Plus images won't download, comes up with.....! - 200? Help anyone?? 

On 5/5/2020 at 9:17 AM, Ma1co1m said:

OK.. So I can't seem to find the for sale section on here? Can find cars for sale and archive, but nothing for wheels? Plus images won't download, comes up with.....! - 200? Help anyone?? 

This should take you to where you want to be.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/29-buy-sell-parts-accessories

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links