Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member looking to buy a RX300/400H

mcouchard

Hi all,

I am a newbie looking to buy a RX300/400H for towing a caravan, I am looking to upgrade my existing caravan and Kia Sportage for a bigger caravan and RX. Any advice on purchasing a good example greatly appreciated.

I am also a well established contributor on the Renault (12 yrs), Volvo (8 yrs) and Kia (3 yrs) forums.

Matthew

• Like 2

I can offer some limited advice here:

1) Don't buy a JDM import (toyota harrier pretending to be an RX-300) as you cannot legally tow anything with it.

2) From memory an RX-300 can tow approx 700kg without the factory towing package and something around 1500kg with it.

3) Towing capacity is stamped on the vin plate and (others can correct me here if I'm wrong) I don't think it can ever be legally changed. There's no re-certification process if you were to say add a towing package retrospectively. So the first thing you probably should do is determine what the weight of the intended caravan is likely to be, so you can ensure that whatever you do buy has a stated towing capacity comfortably above this weight.

• Like 1

Oh I was under the impression it could tow 2000kg (https://www.parkers.co.uk/lexus/rx/estate-2003/30-se-5d-auto/specs/), the Kia can do 1600KG but wanting to buy a heavier 1534kg MPLW van to replace my 1100KG one so will need a bigger car the Sportage won't do it and the nosewight will exceed the permitted.

If Parkers is wrong please let me know as I will have to go back to the drawing board it is a very short list of options as I do not want a diesel.

Thanks,

Matthew

Actually, 2000kg seems to be the braked towing capacity so if your caravan has brakes then that may apply. I seem to recall that the specifications were 700kg and around 1500kg without and with the towing package respectively, but maybe those both apply to unbraked towing capacity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcouchard said:

Thanks yes it would be braked, good to know. Finding one already with a towbar is tough though as it looks like quite a expensive proposition to fit one if not.

The OEM towing package would also have included a transmission cooler which you may or may not need.

19 hours ago, mcouchard said:

Hi all,

I am a newbie looking to buy a RX300/400H for towing a caravan, I am looking to upgrade my existing caravan and Kia Sportage for a bigger caravan and RX. Any advice on purchasing a good example greatly appreciated.

I am also a well established contributor on the Renault (12 yrs), Volvo (8 yrs) and Kia (3 yrs) forums.

Matthew

Hi Matthew, 

Interestingly I am actually selling my 2004 Lexus RX300 (L300 BCN is the plate). I am based in Glasgow but thought I'd mention it as you said you were looking 🙂

15 hours ago, ThomasLexus94 said:

Hi Matthew, 

Interestingly I am actually selling my 2004 Lexus RX300 (L300 BCN is the plate). I am based in Glasgow but thought I'd mention it as you said you were looking 🙂

Thanks Glasgow is a bit far but have sent you a PM with some questions.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 9:43 AM, mcouchard said:

Thanks Glasgow is a bit far but have sent you a PM with some questions.

What do you mean, a bit far?

1. You sometimes have to be prepared to travel for the right one - furthest I've been was about 300 miles if I remember correctly
  2. Just think how much you'll enjoy the drive back in your new toy :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links