Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

16 hours ago, Riccccccardo said:

I did a little experiment for first time in nine months ownership with the sports button today on a nice long stretch of road. Floored accelerator to floor in normal mode it takes three seconds before vehicle takes off and moves with haste and vigour. I did the same thing in sports mode took two seconds to move with haste and vigour.

Try without the traction control on 🙂

I've found it depends on the road, if the road is really smooth with good traction, it'll put the power down hard much soon than 2 seconds in sports mode. 

I only drive in sports mode cos the normal mode feathers the accelerator and I do that automatically so I end up double feathering the acceleration and accelerating far slower than I wanted. Can also adjust these values in techstream I believe but not had the guts to play with the settings that much myself 🙂 

17 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

I've found it depends on the road, if the road is really smooth with good traction, it'll put the power down hard much soon than 2 seconds in sports mode. 

I only drive in sports mode cos the normal mode feathers the accelerator and I do that automatically so I end up double feathering the acceleration and accelerating far slower than I wanted. Can also adjust these values in techstream I believe but not had the guts to play with the settings that much myself 🙂 

I see to be honest I’ve never understood why car manafac give you the option to turn Traction off traction control? It’s can be the difference between being in a bush and on the road lol I don’t dare turn it off with my foot lol

20 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

You maybe able to answer my question I asked ages ago do know if our cars have mecanical limted slip differential or even electronic limted slip diff? 

4 hours ago, Riccccccardo said:

I see to be honest I’ve never understood why car manafac give you the option to turn Traction off traction control? It’s can be the difference between being in a bush and on the road lol I don’t dare turn it off with my foot lol

Cos if you ever want to drive properly, you need it off lol 😉

Part of the trick to driving a rear-wheel drive on the track involves slipping the back end out sometimes and the traction control doesn't let you do that. 

The LSD is mechanical I believe, you'd need separate motors for each wheel to do it electronically.

19 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

Cos if you ever want to drive properly, you need it off lol 😉

Part of the trick to driving a rear-wheel drive on the track involves slipping the back end out sometimes and the traction control doesn't let you do that. 

The LSD is mechanical I believe, you'd need separate motors for each wheel to do it electronically.

Any links I can see to confirm re LSD?

This thread is turning into a mini-forum all by itself! Might be better to start a new topic for new questions!

Anyway, looking at the drawing of the diff for a 2012 GS450h, the relevant part is described as 'Case sub-assembly, Rear Differential' and it has part number 41301-50031. A bit of googling reveals that to be a Torsen LSD insert. So it looks as though yes - GS450h does have a LSD. But I can't be absolutely certain about your car.

Now the traditional way to find out if you have a LSD is to jack the car up so that both rear wheels are off the ground, have the gearbox in Neutral and turn one rear wheel (by hand). If the other rear wheel turns in the same direction you have a LSD. If it turns in the opposite direction, you have an open diff. That is not an absolutely watertight test, but it's a pretty good indication. Certainly works for my MX-5 which used to have an open diff but now has a LSD.

Just for reference, here's a pic of my MX-5 LSD - it's a Tochigi Fugi Super LSD, but they all look similar. Why is it there in bits on my Workmate? - don't ask - long story!

LSD diff.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, johnatg said:

This thread is turning into a mini-forum all by itself! Might be better to start a new topic for new questions!

Anyway, looking at the drawing of the diff for a 2012 GS450h, the relevant part is described as 'Case sub-assembly, Rear Differential' and it has part number 41301-50031. A bit of googling reveals that to be a Torsen LSD insert. So it looks as though yes - GS450h does have a LSD. But I can't be absolutely certain about your car.

Now the traditional way to find out if you have a LSD is to jack the car up so that both rear wheels are off the ground, have the gearbox in Neutral and turn one rear wheel (by hand). If the other rear wheel turns in the same direction you have a LSD. If it turns in the opposite direction, you have an open diff. That is not an absolutely watertight test, but it's a pretty good indication. Certainly works for my MX-5 which used to have an open diff but now has a LSD.

Just for reference, here's a pic of my MX-5 LSD - it's a Tochigi Fugi Super LSD, but they all look similar. Why is it there in bits on my Workmate? - don't ask - long story!

LSD diff.jpg

Many thanks John 😊 

Re your forum comment. It was all by design of my mental plan in the beginning lol. One I’m dyslexic so can be a bit slow what I found when I was first here seeing the amount of new topics was very overwhelming I went through a ton of them at first. Then I had an Epiphany why don’t I have all my issues all in one place so years from now when I want to reflect check etc rather then finding multiple threads of myself all over the Lexus owners club I could have all my issues one one Convenient accessable place like I have now so there is a method to my madness that works for me and maybe others to 😊 ive always been a person who hates red tape and over complicating simple things old saying “flow like water take the path of least resistance” which is me all over lol simplicity is always best in my opinion. Many thanks to all the contributors here past present and future 😊

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Official Lexus 450h promotion about the car. 

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-gs-450h-and-the-need-for-speed/

Perhaps even more impressive than the car’s sub-six second dash to 62mph is the torque delivered during mid-range acceleration. The system’s high-output, water-cooled permanent magnet electric motor produces maximum torque immediately upon demand; a characteristic that is most noticeable, and most useful, during 30-50mph passing manoeuvres.

• Like 1

I’m no engineer but I had a thought even though the one electric motor rated at 197bhp but in reality gives extra 35bhp (real world driving conditions) as lag fill etc restriction could be due to the small hybrid Battery mah size to increase range and longevity on electric side.

Electric motor

• 105 kW (141 hp; 143 PS) 1 km synchronous (GS 300h)
  • 147 kW (197 hp; 200 PS) 1 km synchronous (GS 450h)

• 2 weeks later...

Re the new e10 I was forced to put in my car last week (as v power ran out at all shells) I put in new e10 fuel since Monday and been driving up to Thursday 14 miles a day and my fuel gauge barely moved not even one bar gone yet so I’m thinking it lasting a lot longer then old e5 fuel probably what they had in mind Re eco credentials? I will go back to my v power fuel when empty though.

Nope, that is literally impossible.

E10 has slightly less energy per litre than E5, like 99.4% of something like that so at best
it'll slightly increase your fuel consumption.

At the same time however it does burn cleaner and the greater % of biofuel in it means it's
carbon footprint is about 10% less than E5.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 1:08 AM, Steven Lockey said:

E10 has slightly less energy per litre than E5, like 99.4% of something like that so at best

At the same time however it does burn cleaner and the greater % of biofuel in it means it's

Yeah me I think I felt that less energy output on the pedal it made for a not enjoyable drive 😪

On 10/4/2021 at 6:18 AM, Riccccccardo said:

Perhaps even more impressive than the car’s sub-six second dash to 62mph is the torque delivered during mid-range acceleration. The system’s high-output, water-cooled permanent magnet electric motor produces maximum torque immediately upon demand; a characteristic that is most noticeable, and most useful, during 30-50mph passing manoeuvres.

Just to confirm what I think I already know it has only one electric motor? Yes the torque pull is nice this car was built for motorway drive very nice. 

ive been driving mainly in normal mode on motorway and the pull still feels nice with a gradual build up of power when needing to overtake. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:18 AM, Riccccccardo said:

On 11/2/2021 at 5:54 AM, Riccccccardo said:

Yeah me I think I felt that less energy output on the pedal it made for a not enjoyable drive 😪

Nope, you shouldn't notice any difference, the onboard computer should deal with it for you, basically putting in 2% more fuel, so you shouldn't suffer any power loss at all.

Filled up with '95 E10 a few days ago and took it for a run out. No noticable different in performance or MPG. You ain't going to notice 2% 😉

On 11/2/2021 at 5:57 AM, Riccccccardo said:

Just to confirm what I think I already know it has only one electric motor? Yes the torque pull is nice this car was built for motorway drive very nice. 

ive been driving mainly in normal mode on motorway and the pull still feels nice with a gradual build up of power when needing to overtake. 

Nope, it has two, one will normally be reversed and acting as a generator however or locked stationary if solely running on electrics. The car has a few operating modes, switching from pure electric, to generating power from the petrol but just driving on the electrics, to using both to provide power, to using just the petrol and the electric just been used to draw needed power/balance the petrol for economy. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, Steven Lockey said:

Nope, you shouldn't notice any difference, the onboard computer should deal with it for you, basically putting in 2% more fuel, so you shouldn't suffer any power loss at all.

Filled up with '95 E10 a few days ago and took it for a run out. No noticable different in performance or MPG. You ain't going to notice 2% 😉

Nope, it has two, one will normally be reversed and acting as a generator however or locked stationary if solely running on electrics. The car has a few operating modes, switching from pure electric, to generating power from the petrol but just driving on the electrics, to using both to provide power, to using just the petrol and the electric just been used to draw needed power/balance the petrol for economy. 

Sounds complex lol

On 10/15/2021 at 1:08 AM, Steven Lockey said:

C180D022-BD7C-4DFB-8CB2-B0F18755791E.jpeg

ED9674BF-37B9-44CB-B6F3-8D2C445A1A6A.jpeg

1B1DAB60-D59D-4659-ACA3-8D8C77EAC9CD.jpeg

How can an increase in Ethanol content from 5% to 10% make a reduction of 10% in 'carbon footprint' (ie amount of CO2 produced) ? The maths of that just don't make sense.

E5 to E10 implies that 5% more of the fuel is biofuel (ethanol) rather than fossil fuel. It still burns to produce CO2 but that CO2 originally came from the air rather than dug-up oil. But the growing of crops is not fossil fuel free - eg sowing the seeds, production and spreading of fertiliser, harvesting, transport, extraction and processing of ethanol from the plants etc all use fuel, probably most of it fossil fuel.

Greenwashing comes to mind.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, johnatg said:

How can an increase in Ethanol content from 5% to 10% make a reduction of 10% in 'carbon footprint' (ie amount of CO2 produced) ? The maths of that just don't make sense.

E5 to E10 implies that 5% more of the fuel is biofuel (ethanol) rather than fossil fuel. It still burns to produce CO2 but that CO2 originally came from the air rather than dug-up oil. But the growing of crops is not fossil fuel free - eg sowing the seeds, production and spreading of fertiliser, harvesting, transport, extraction and processing of ethanol from the plants etc all use fuel, probably most of it fossil fuel.

Greenwashing comes to mind.

I fully agree with you - like 3/4 of climate care now consist of greenwashing. While we get 'less' good products on the way for the 'good cause'..

So far we're still on E5 in Ireland, but let's see for how long this will last. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links