Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

power steering leak - easy fix?

I have alternator problems, as  per my previous post, and I think it may have been caused by a power steering leak (my car only has 75000 miles? I can't see any evidence of a leak from above and I'm hoping to be able to get a better look when I get it over my inspection pit in a week or so. My car is a 1999 Mk 4, is this a rare occurrence, as I know it's not uncommon on earlier cars?

More importantly, if it's a leak, where is this likely to be coming from? Is it an easy fix and what parts are usually required? I'm considering selling the car due to lack of use and would never sell it with a fault I'm aware of without having it fixed first.

1 hour ago, harrylime said:

I have alternator problems, as  per my previous post, and I think it may have been caused by a power steering leak (my car only has 75000 miles? I can't see any evidence of a leak from above and I'm hoping to be able to get a better look when I get it over my inspection pit in a week or so. My car is a 1999 Mk 4, is this a rare occurrence, as I know it's not uncommon on earlier cars?

More importantly, if it's a leak, where is this likely to be coming from? Is it an easy fix and what parts are usually required? I'm considering selling the car due to lack of use and would never sell it with a fault I'm aware of without having it fixed first.

Hi Hugh 

The mark 4s are rarely troubled with the pump leak that was common on the Mark 1 &2 the configuration of the pump and reservoir were redesigned to eliminate the cause of the leak which was the mating of the pump housing and reservoir.

Check out the area around the bottom of the pump and the top of the alternator if this is dry there is no leak.

• Like 1

Had a conversation today (in real life!) with another LS owner about just this.

My MK3 power steering was a little hit and miss (occasionally very heavy at low speeds, only 60k miles) and I sourced a replacement pump from eBay as the genuine one is eye wateringly expensive. It solved the problem but shortly after the alternator gave up too. Though everything was clean we surmised that the engine bay had been given a good clean prior to my purchase and evidence of a leak was washed away. The alternator was an exchange part from ECP which I think I mentioned in your other thread. Both items are still performing well but I've only had the car 6 months.

A seal kit is available from Lexus at about 40 quid iirc but unless you fancy having a go yourself I'd guess there would be some labour involved and no guarantee it will fix any problem you may have. A leak should be pretty easy to spot with a combination of monitoring the fluid level and having a poke around with your hand and a torch from above. There's a bit of room there.

Is it not possible to fabricate and fit a bit of plastic between the Power Steering pump and the Alternator to prevent the PS Fluid from getting near the Alternator?
That way, even if it leaks it won't damage the Alternator.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 5:35 PM, rich1068 said:

Had a conversation today (in real life!) with another LS owner about just this.

My MK3 power steering was a little hit and miss (occasionally very heavy at low speeds, only 60k miles)

If the replaced P/S pump did not have the Valve connecting the pipes to the ICV and Throttle conduit then you will (as I know on my '93 LS) find the steering is very heavy when stationary.   Need to rev slightly with left foot on brake to lighten  - annoying. I kept the part for the P/S pump but spliced the pipes to bung up the two input pipes. Mistake, as would put back if I had opportunity.  Won't concern me for a while !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links