Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi folks, wondering if I could pick your brains for a bit of help. I generally have the smart access switched off on the car (2000 LS430 - very early one on an X plate) for one reason or another. On Friday morning the car stopped responding to the pressing of buttons on the master key. The red light on the key illuminates with the pressing of buttons and I've tried a fresh Battery just in case. After a bit of pratting about, tried the valet key and that works, car locks/unlocks and drives.

This afternoon I've had a bit of a play, switched the smart access back on, and the car responds to the "faulty" master key for smart access, but still doesn't respond to the pressing of buttons. Any ideas?

Also as the "faulty" key is the only master I have with I struggle to re-programme a second hand master?

Regards, Iain

Does the "faulty" key start the car? Not sure about smart access but on my regular keys the immobiliser system is separate from the remote function, and they are programmed independently. As long as you can insert the key and turn it to position 2 and the security light goes out then the car recognises the key and this will enable programming functions. I'm not sure if this is the same for cars with smart keys though.

Not sure why this would ever be necessary if the key was already programmed but you could try it:

---------------------------------------------

Procedure To Program Toyota Wireless Remote Transmitters: 

Begin with: The driver's door open and unlocked. Key out of the ignition. 

1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds. 

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds. 

2. Close and open driver's door TWICE. 

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it. 

NOTE: Steps 4 - 6 should be performed within 40 seconds. 

4. Close and open the driver's door twice. 

5. Insert the key into the ignition. 

6. Close the door. 

NOTE: Steps 5 and 6 should be reversed for the following models ONLY (close door first, then insert key into ignition): 

2000 - 2005 Celica 

2001 - 2003 Prius 

2001 - 2005 ECHO 

2001 - 2005 RAV4 

2003 - 2004 Avalon 

7. Turn the ignition switch from "Lock" to "On" and back to "Lock" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode: 

1 time for ADD mode. 

2 times for REWRITE mode. 

3 times for CONFIRMATION mode. 

5 times for PROHIBITION mode. 

8. Remove the key from the ignition. 

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7. 

NOTE: If Confirmation or Prohibition modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure. 

10. For Add or Rewrite modes do the following within 40 seconds of Door 

Procedure Lock confirmation: 

A. Press both car transmitter Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release. 

B. Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter Lock button for more than 1 second and release. 

If the keyless entry remote transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time. 

If there are problems with the remote transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure. 

C. If multiple remotes are to be reprogrammed, repeat steps A and B. 

11. Open the driver's door to conclude programming mode. 

Thanks, I'll a look through that when I get chance - probably at the weekend.

In answer to your question, if the car is open - either using the smart access on the faulty key and then I turn smart off, or I open the car using the valet key (and put the valet key back in the house well away from the car) the faulty key starts the car.

Regards

Iain

Sounds to me like the radio transmitter in the key fob has died.
The smart-key side uses an RFID chip that has to be within 3 feet of the door to be detected. The same RFID is used for the Immobiliser.
When you push the button to lock/unlock, it uses the 433Mhz radio transmitter and has a range of 20 feet or so.

If you still have the Master key, then get to a Lexus dealer and get a new Master key coded for it and get any obsolete keys disabled.
I have 2 Master keys and the Valet key for mine, which is what the car is supplied with when new, so there is another Master key programmed for your car out there somewhere that needs to be disabled in the cars security system.

Does the key not work wherever you are? Reason I ask is that Lexus of this era seem susceptible to interference with the remote locking/unlocking. (If that is what you're describing, I'm not familiar with the LS430) I've had 2 Lexus that were prone to this and the subject has popped up on here before. Try your "faulty" key when you've driven somewhere else.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links