Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, new to the club as I picked up a White 2009 ISF a couple of weeks back. I'm currently trying to work out what to do with tyres and I thought I'd jump onto this thread.

Currently I have fitted:

F: 245 35 R19 Matadors

R: 265 35 R19 Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres

I gather that standard sizes should be: 

F: 225 40 R19

R: 255 35 R19

So I'm currently 20mm wider on the front and 10mm wider on the rear than standard. I've tried to read up on what's best for these and the general consensus seems to be that wider is better... my question though... is it?

I've got a pair of uprated RR lower control arm rear bushes on their way as I understand that should help turn in (plus I'm getting some judder under heavy braking, it's got new discs all around so I'm attributing this to 100k miles on the standard bushes as I've had similar on other cars before).

My plan is to fit the new bushes, get a decent alignment done, definitely replace the rear tyres with some all season/summer tyres and most likely replace the fronts too. I'm yet to drive the car on decent tyres or drive it hard properly but I'd like to keep some playful nature rather than aim for out and out grip. I am shying away from the full premium end of the scale as I'm not expecting to make a set of rears last too long, what are people's experience with the more 'budget' end of the scale on these cars, I'm talking more Avon ZV7 or Bridgestone Potenza than a no-name ditchfinder.

Granted I haven't tried them on an ISF, but I was quite the advocate of Hankooks Ventus 2's on my old V8 RWD. They were good tyres for the price and what I would class as midrange. Hope that helps. 

Have Hankook Ventus 2’s all round on my GSF. They were a new set fitted by the dealer before I bought the car. I’m sure ultimately they’re not as good as pilot super sports, or the 4s, which is what I’ll put on the car when they need changed. But they don’t create a lot of noise, wet grip is good, wear rate is decent, rears have done 16,000 miles, and still ok, they’ve been fine overall.

Audi use them as factory fit for the current RS4 / RS5 models, which although isn’t an endorsement says that the manufacturer must be happy enough with the overall performance of the product. (And the price!)

I’ve been looking at tyres lately, and the hankooks vs the Michelin’s on tyre leader / cam skill etc are around £40-50 cheaper a corner. However if your quick, Michelin have a deal, ends at the end of March, on at kwikfit where they’ll knock 15% of 4 tyres, and a free set of wireless headphones!!!!!!! (Obviously not the apple ones so the kids won’t use them). Costco, ats and others are offering deals too but the Kwik fit was cheapest.

For the GSF all 4 tyres was £630, which I didn’t think was too bad, almost like for like for the hankooks.

• Like 1

Best tyres i've tried (admittedly not on the ISF) without spending PS4S money is the Kumho PS71/91 range. I've also had Hankook Ventus v12's on a car in the past and they were great but that was fwd.

The PS4S tyres last a long time though, definitely worth not discounting spending the extra, i dont know how they do it but they do! If you're going to be doing burnouts then fair enough but the odd foot down out of a junction or off a roundabout doesnt seem to make them wear quickly.

I think i'll be sizing up my next set but potentially only on the front and/ or maybe just a 265 out back.

Thanks for the replies, the Hankook Ventus seems to come highly rated in lots of tests I've found online whereas the Kumho seems to come much closer to the bottom of the table. After searching for on the US forums for Hankook Ventus on the ISF they seem to get a bit of a mixed review wheras the PS4S seem highly rated by everyone. I managed to find a deal to get 2x PS4S fitted at Kwikfit for £302 plus a free set of wireless headphones and a wheel alignment. This also means when I replace my fronts I can get the same all around as there is so little choice in the stock 225 40 19 front size.

Cheers

• Like 1

I have Bridgestones on still and have been pretty happy with them, I find them predictable and quiet and the grip was ok when they were new ,rears are getting a little low now and are struggling to put the power down a little, I’ve been very impressed by vredesteins had them on my old 535 and just had them fitted on my wife’s Impreza wrx  , and my son has them on his vrs , good grip and in the rain , always seem to be near the top on tyre reviews, don’t know if they come in isf sizes?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links