Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good advice.

I managed to get 2.5l out of my LS400 because it was lifted at the front. And not sure about the 430 but on the LS400 and GS300 once you're familiar with the position of the gearbox sump plug you don't even need to get under the car if you have a long enough drive handle.

Transmission oil flows to the cooler from start-up regardless of temperature , so draining transmission of more than the two litres in the pan is possible by disconnecting a line to the cooler. I think the line on left is FROM tranny.The last bit is rubber pipe with a hose clamp so it is easy to separate so it can pump into a container.(gets messy)

it helps if someone can start and stop engine while you catch fluid.

I did it in stages ,removing fluid, measuring the amount in plastic measuring jug ( wife hasn’t noticed it missing yet) then refillling that amount back in with fresh fluid.

Finally filling until it runs from level check plug on bottom of pan.This has a tube inside to maintain  the correct level in the sump. Again I check this cold as the expansion of fluid when warm doesn't seem detrimental whatsoever

Talking of LS 430 with 6 speed and no dipstick it uses WS type fluid (world series?) sourced on fleabay.

LS400  with 5 speed and has dipstick uses type 1V    (4)

Mercedes use similar procedure on their 7 speed but I understand the temperature there is more critical as there is a thermostat to the cooler preventing over cooling when cold.

1 minute ago, LexusRbest said:

Transmission oil flows to the cooler from start-up regardless of temperature , so draining transmission of more than the two litres in the pan is possible by disconnecting a line to the cooler. I think the line on left is FROM tranny.The last bit is rubber pipe with a hose clamp so it is easy to separate so it can pump into a container.(gets messy)

it helps if someone can start and stop engine while you catch fluid.

I did it in stages ,removing fluid, measuring the amount in plastic measuring jug ( wife hasn’t noticed it missing yet) then refillling that amount back in with fresh fluid.

Finally filling until it runs from level check plug on bottom of pan.This has a tube inside to maintain  the correct level in the sump. Again I check this cold as the expansion of fluid when warm doesn't seem detrimental whatsoever

Talking of LS 430 with 6 speed and no dipstick it uses WS type fluid (world series?) sourced on fleabay.

LS400  with 5 speed and has dipstick uses type 1V    (4)

Mercedes use similar procedure on their 7 speed but I understand the temperature there is more critical as there is a thermostat to the cooler preventing over cooling when cold.

Yes.  I have use that method once on a 4 speed LS400. Definitely faster . I am not clear on if that method changes the oil more efficiently when it comes to getting rid of the old stuff.  I ended up pumping out about <1 liter at the time and filling upp approximately same to a total of 12 liter or so. 
I have since realized that it might pose a higher risk if you have really old fluid beacuse the big dose of fresh detergent additives in the New ATF suddenly present may make gunk in corners and on surfaces dislodge more effctively in a short time and go to new places clogging stuff up. I do not know it this is a significant risk or not.   

I just like the deposits out of there, I have seen some crusty stuff in my time, but remember....cleanliness is next to godliness!

My theory is ,if its clean fluid the workings can get on with their job better than half baked ,sludgy stuff.

Leaving the crud to accumulate seems to be leading to a day of reckoning, and if it is all that is stopping the clutches from slipping.......

1 hour ago, Mikaelse said:

Only problem was the old fluid.  

straight down the drain when no-one's looking eh !  :yahoo:

seriously, any garage should be willing to take it from you or maybe if you live near a marine works / marina there should be someone there doing an old oil collection service  ...  for a modest fee tho' I guess

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

seriously, any garage should be willing to take it from you or maybe if you live near a marine works / marina there should be someone there doing an old oil collection service  ...  for a modest fee tho' I guess

Malc

Where I live ( Sweden ) no problem at all. About 2 km from where I live helpfull chaps open all day and on saturdays
accept oils , glycol and paint etc for appropriate destruction for free from non businesses. ( We pay with taxes surely) 
Leaving 20 litres at once is no problem. They want to know what it is approximately .  "OIL " seems fine.

5 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

I use it to paint it on my Shed and Fences as it protects like wot real Creosote used to do. Superb material.

Our local council recycling centre has a waste oil recycling bit.

I leave the containers of used oil by the tank.

Going back to transmissions,I was experiencing hard shifts from my transmission last evening, concerning , until I realised outside temperature was down to one degree .

Normal service was resumed once warm.

I may have to get my wife to knit the transmission cooler a bobble hat to keep it cosy.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links