Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Windscreen To Be Fitted - Autoglass Advice

God almighty crack enough to make the wife and I duck when driving to my weekly food shop. A rock that I can only assume came from a digger that was 3 cars in front. Anyway, Huge bullet hole shape in my windscreen. Called Autoglass as it was my insurers supplier, I requested for a genuine windscreen so waiting for approval.

Whatever happens, in my previous experience with Autoglass they muller the fixing clips and windscreen trims. Anyone thats recently used Autoglass that supplied new clips and trims?

I have an order from Japan and the trims and clips are a far sight cheaper than Lexus UK (60 odd quid a side!) and 10 quid a clip?! I'll just bolt it onto my main order if Autoglass is unheard of supplying genuine clips and trims. *OCD*!

Cheers

Also insist on a new "Gel Pad" for the front Auto Wiper Sensor as this invariably gets finger marks on it by the fitter and they just replace the old one and it never works quite the same.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Andrew888 said:

Whatever happens, in my previous experience with Autoglass they muller the fixing clips and windscreen trims

I had my windscreen changed by Autoglass on my IS250 a couple of years ago.  It didn't go well, I'll see if I can find my post..

9 hours ago, Neo_gsf said:

Also insist on a new "Gel Pad" for the front Auto Wiper Sensor as this invariably gets finger marks on it by the fitter and they just replace the old one and it never works quite the same.

i have a genuine one here. For some reason I ordered it a few years back 😄 

2 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

I too have a crap windscreens fitted by Autoglass. However it was more "operator error" rather the glass itself. Last time round the fitter busted all my clips and creased the metal windscreen trims in which I could only say was "ripped" off rather that using your trim tools to remove. Still awaiting for Autoglass to call me back to say whether my request has been authorised or not 🥺

With the hefty windscreen excess charges nowadays and the fact that it is then treated as an insurance claim so you get stung at renewal time up to the point where you’re considered claim free again, I’m of the opinion that finding a reputable local company to do the work and paying for it myself is a better way forward. Find out who the local dealership uses and use them. I did this for my last IS300 that needed a windscreen. I’ve had bad experiences with Autoglass too.

• Like 1

I have used autoglass last year and the guy came with new trims and clips, however the trims were non-genuine or not 100% correct. OE trims should be colour coded and his ones were matte black... it didn't bother me that much as my old trims were very broken and I was happy to see them replaced, but it would be interesting to know where he even got them as Lexus ones are a bit of rip off (£89+VAT each).

Anyway point is - Autoglass has to fit new mouldings and clips, they are disposable and cannot be reused. If they say anything but that then refuse to have windscreen replaced before they get it sorted.

Not so good point is that windscreen heating stopped working after replacement and even with lifetime warranty Autoglass have not figured out why it doesn't work. To be fair I could not be bothered to chase them on that, but still quite disappointing.

Finally, Paul is right - this will increase your insurance premium next year. It does not impact your NCB, but it is considered as incident (I guess similar as non-fault accident). But here is the thing - as you already told insurance fraudsters what happened, your insurance will go up either way now, so you may as well go ahead with replacement. 

• Like 2

-1 from me for autoglass. On an old beamer of mine they replaced the glass with some inferior quality screen and the rain sensor never worked again. No way to get them to resolve it they just tell you to visit the main dealer, who obviously can't do anything except replace the screen again with an OEM one.

• Like 1

I was initially forced to use Autoglass by my insurer (Admiral) on a previous car (around 6 years ago) - they did an absolutely awful job, it was obviously rushed and caused all sorts of problems in the weeks after. Luckily Admiral was very good about it and arranged a different replacement at another company (forget the name sorry), and it was both professional and long-lasting. Wouldn't use Autoglass again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links