Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Never sold a car privately before so just realised i don't really know what the process is for taking someone on a test drive.

Should i ask to see their insurance - should i tell mine? or should i even let them drive the car and left them ride along?

Seems like a dumb question i know but not sure of how this is done. Bought plenty of cars from dealers where they either give you the keys or sit in the passenger seat while you drive ...

1 minute ago, is200 Newbie said:

Never sold a car privately before so just realised i don't really know what the process is for taking someone on a test drive.

Should i ask to see their insurance - should i tell mine? or should i even let them drive the car and left them ride along?

Seems like a dumb question i know but not sure of how this is done. Bought plenty of cars from dealers where they either give you the keys or sit in the passenger seat while you drive ...

I've only ever sold privately and as long as you take sensible precautions it's a good way to get a better price for your car.  My son had 4 guys turn up all together to buy his car and he immediately sensed something was wrong when they tried distraction techniques so they could put 'faults' on the car.  He told 3 of them to go away which they did once he'd let them know he was an army officer and any nonsense wouldn't end well.

I keep all the documents indoors until the prospective buyer has satisfied himself with a visual check and I've taken him for a test drive (me driving).  I ask if they want to see anything particular during the drive, harsh acceleration/braking, speed etc and choose a suitable route.  I then let them drive but only for a short while on a quiet part of the route.  If they drive your vehicle their insurance is almost going to be 3rd party only but it's worth checking they have it.

After the test drive I lock the car and leave them to admire the newly polished paintwork while I get the MOT, service book and the V5.  Then the fun starts, have a firm idea of your lowest acceptable offer and don't go below it.  If you get the asking price you've put it on too cheap 🙂

I sold my IS250 in December and accepted a bank transfer which was done on the spot in 2 payments.  Bank apps let you check that the money has been received almost instantly.  I don't really like cash especially in the evening as the buyer (and anyone he talks to in the pub later) knows you've got a few grand indoors overnight.  Once the cash is in you can complete the relevant section of the V5, hand over the buyers part and the other docs then post your bit of the V5 when convenient.

I'm not saying my technique is perfect but it's worked ok for me and I've sold possibly a dozen cars this way without incident.  Hope it helps

• Like 3

yeah... I am in the same situation so had to think about it myself.

The process is - driver has to be insured. Meaning that it may be difficult or illegal to allow people to test drive your car on public road, you can do it on private road, but I doubt you have a road of your own?. I for example have massive gated communal underground garage, so I guess in my case it would be fine to let the buyer to drive around the garage (but even that is grey area). In short you have two options:

• Check that they have insurance which would cover your car. Most (but not all) of Fully-Comprehensive covers allows driving other cars as long as they have at least third party cover. If they have that, then they can test drive your car and you can sit in the passenger seat.
  • If that is their first/only car then most likely they don't have insurance, in which case it is illegal for them to drive. As such they sit in passenger seat whilst you drive.

The dealers usually allow you to drive on "dealers insurance" which specifically allows for the test drives, however at least in my experience they usually take your license and you sign paperwork saying that you would be liable for like £1000 in excess in case of accident (always read the small print). You as private seller don't have such cover and the risk is an offence of allowing uninsured driver to drive. If you want to take such risk then it is up to you, but I would rather be careful on this.

I know not all buyers would be satisfied with that, but such are the rules in the country and I am not sure car sale is so important to risk it.

• Like 1

If you allow someone to test drive your car without checking they have a license AND insurance you are committing an offense. As Mike says above, you take a calculated risk even if the above is observed. If they prang the car then you will almost certainly be on third party insurance and lose the value of the vehicle you are selling. I have sold a few cars privately and most of the transactions have run smoothly. Be very aware if more than two people turn up to view the car. 

Trade-in values at garages are on the low side so you need to weigh up the advantages (more money) with the possible disadvantages (Test pilots, who have no intention of buying the car - time wasters). Hassle free option is to trade-in. Some potential buyers are very nice to deal with but you must expect the pain in the ar$e buyer who just wants a bargain by trying to pick as many faults as possible. If you are an honest seller, then list all the faults you know of and show the potential purchaser. Be very wary of cash. Someone I knew accepted cash and after the purchaser left the hundred pound bundles were short. Also be aware of counterfeit money being handed over. Bank transfer, as Mike suggests, is usually instant and can be verified if you have internet banking. It all sounds very scary but you need to be made aware of what can happen. 

Has anyone on the forum actually sold their car to Webuyanycar.com or similar? Your experience would be helpful if you are willing to share, as Herbie did with his Lexus purchase.

Just my thoughts, others may add more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/130369/what-insurance-do-i-need-for-offering-test-drives-in-a-car-i-m-selling-

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links