Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

I’ve had an intermittent problem with the front right parking sensor on my Lexus LS 430 for the past couple of years. In winter time it’s not a problem at all (it doesn’t happen) but as soon as the temperature gets above 13C, it comes on randomly at low speed. The same is now happening with one of the centre parking sensors. All of the parking sensors at the front have some paint peeling off.

I took it to Lexus Reading a while ago and their solution was to replace all of the front sensors and charge me £1800 in the process! They said they couldn’t tell whether it was and electrical issue or as a result of the paint peeling on the sensors.

i’ve had the car two years now and reckon I’ll keep it for at least the next four. Hence it makes sense to invest in getting this sorted, but without feeling I’m getting fleeced. Does anyone have any ideas how or who might be best placed to help? I’m good at sourcing parts, but rubbish at fitting them! Our local garage suggested taking it to a body shop as the sensors will need painting. There are also any number of in-car audio places who work with parking sensors, although I do want to keep Lexus OEM ones if at all possible.

Any suggestions and advice gratefully received!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case my original post was a unclear, I didn’t get the work done at Lexus Reading – the quote of £1800 was far beyond what I was prepared to pay. I’m looking for a solution that is as close to factory standard as possible but for a far cheaper price.

Many thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jenkiadr said:

I’ve had an intermittent problem with the front right parking sensor on my Lexus LS 430 for the past couple of years. In winter time it’s not a problem at all (it doesn’t happen) but as soon as the temperature gets above 13C, it comes on randomly at low speed. The same is now happening with one of the centre parking sensors. All of the parking sensors at the front have some paint peeling off.

I took it to Lexus Reading a while ago and their solution was to replace all of the front sensors and charge me £1800 in the process! They said they couldn’t tell whether it was and electrical issue or as a result of the paint peeling on the sensors.

i’ve had the car two years now and reckon I’ll keep it for at least the next four. Hence it makes sense to invest in getting this sorted, but without feeling I’m getting fleeced. Does anyone have any ideas how or who might be best placed to help? I’m good at sourcing parts, but rubbish at fitting them! Our local garage suggested taking it to a body shop as the sensors will need painting. There are also any number of in-car audio places who work with parking sensors, although I do want to keep Lexus OEM ones if at all possible.

Any suggestions and advice gratefully received!

Is your need to maintain your original spec or a practical one I.e. assistance with parking? If its the latter, on my Jaguar XKR I fitted a number plate surround incorporating twin sensors from a firm in Leeds. They come in black but I had mine painted to look less obvious. That was 3 years ago and they have been perfect. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

isn't it totally bonkers when the cost of replacing parking sensors is nigh on the value of the car

oh for the old fashioned and timeless simplicity of relying on eyes and mirrors to park eh ! :wink3:

Malc

like on mine

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Malc said:

isn't it totally bonkers when the cost of replacing parking sensors is nigh on the value of the car

oh for the old fashioned and timeless simplicity of relying on eyes and mirrors to park eh ! :wink3:

Malc

like on mine

Reminds me of the old Jewish joke, "I want to die peacefully and quietly  like my father, unlike his passengers, screaming🤭

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

HI 

This is a common problem - do a search for lexus ls430 parking sensors on ebay - there a plenty of choices and then find a good bodyshop who can remove the bumper and replace them - this will be a walk in the park for a body shop - once the bumper is off you turn the sensors 90 degrees and it comes out.

Since the sensors are so cheap I would replace all of them wholst the bumper is off.

hope this helps

Link to post
Share on other sites

As Mark has just posted, this is a common problem.  This is a possible solution that you haven’t mentioned,  but of course you may have already tried.

Namely, spray the sensor with WD-40. If you have a can with the spray tube to really focus the jet, then so much the better.

If the problem isn’t caused by damage to the sensor, or an electrical fault, then it may be due to water- often introduced during car washes,  This does sometimes produce this kind of intermittent fault.

Anyway, it’s just about the cheapest and simplest possible fix - so nothing to lose!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cruisermark said:

HI 

This is a common problem - do a search for lexus ls430 parking sensors on ebay - there a plenty of choices and then find a good bodyshop who can remove the bumper and replace them - this will be a walk in the park for a body shop - once the bumper is off you turn the sensors 90 degrees and it comes out.

Since the sensors are so cheap I would replace all of them wholst the bumper is off.

hope this helps

Thank you Mark.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LenT said:

As Mark has just posted, this is a common problem.  This is a possible solution that you haven’t mentioned,  but of course you may have already tried.

Namely, spray the sensor with WD-40. If you have a can with the spray tube to really focus the jet, then so much the better.

If the problem isn’t caused by damage to the sensor, or an electrical fault, then it may be due to water- often introduced during car washes,  This does sometimes produce this kind of intermittent fault.

Anyway, it’s just about the cheapest and simplest possible fix - so nothing to lose!

Thank you Len - I'll give it a go. Actually the middle one started playing up just after the car was washed!

Adrian

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get the sensors for about £6 each from a variety of sources (eBay, amazon, etc.), although since Brex**** that price seems to have more than doubled.
If you want them colour matched, then you'll have to paint them to match if you can't find your colour online.
You can buy White, Black, Gold, or Silver. I bought Black sensors and they look OK on my dark blue 430.

Getting the bumper off is fiddly, especially the bits under the wheel arches.
Once the bumper is off, replacing each sensor is easy.
If you have small hands you can access the outer 2 sensors without removing the bumper.

Be aware that the rear bumper sensors come in 2 different shapes and you need the correct ones.
The front sensors are all the same and are the same as the rear centre sensors.

Rear centre (x2) - 89341-50020-**, 89341-50040-**, or 89341-50050-**
Rear outer (x2) - 89341-50011-**

Front  (x6) - 89341-50020-**, 89341-50040-**, or 89341-50050-**

** is the 2 digit colour code if you want them colour matched.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My car is exactly the same colour scheme as yours and really appreciate the advice and part numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership