Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF why so few 16 and 17 plate cars?

I'm looking to buy and it appears that there are plenty of 15 plate cars for sale, a few 16 and really no 17 plate cars. 

Why is this? 

The post March 17 plate cars appeal due to lower car tax, and in a couple of years very low car tax, compared to 15 and 16 plate cars. 

I think I have my own answer. 

Looking at 'how many left' by the end of 2015, 154 where taxed. 

However in 2020, was a peak of 214 cars taxed. 

So in 5 years after the launch in 2015, they simply didn't sell many!! 

How come? 

13 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

At launch you have Toyota press / Toyota GB staff vehicles and many of the dealers purchasing demonstrators so the vast majority of registrations occurred in 2015.

Yes I can see that, but the following years like only a dozen a year being sold, nothing really! 

Lexus (UK) is effectively a franchise. They have to take a certain amount of each model. For a v8 coupe they took the models they were allocated at launch and no more. They then sold this stock as much as they could. And then registered the rest as press / management / demonstrators. So the cars sold in 16/17 were only those they had to take via allocation and customer orders (none)…Remember they had all the 15 cars to sell as ex-demonstrators so hence less 16/17 cars registered. 

Don't forget that 2017 cars onwards had AVS which the earlier cars did not have. At the time of buying mine there were a few 2017 and 2018 cars for sale as I certainly had a good look around and found one with TVD and Mark Levinson which was exactly what I was after.

As mentioned if you go on to 'How many Left' you can see that not many were registered for the later years.

Just checked between 2014-16 159 cars registered. 2017 onwards 23 cars, even less Carbon models 28 up to 2016 and just 2 for 2017.

Remember seeing absolutely loads of these for sales by dealers a couple of years ago this was when I started really looking into Fs. And yes as above huge amounts of ex demos or nearly new's. I also remember when I really started watching F cars and the price of these back in 2018 were unbelievably cheap. 

You could grab a carbon for 32. And a norm for sub 30.

As the continued push to electricity and turbos by the other main brands and government you can really understand as to why the prices have escalated.  

That and with the GSF being worth more due to rarity that also would increase the price into the RCF due to the "F".

Is it too late to purchase a 15 or 16 plate car at around 30 grand now? 

The prices won't hold and calapse in a year or two buying today?

Sellers market like a lot of used cars at the moment, and not a buyers market? 

9 hours ago, stag74 said:

Is it too late to purchase a 15 or 16 plate car at around 30 grand now? 

£ 30k for a 15 plate non-carbon is about correct - there just aren't many for sale at the moment.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links